Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

It was in the last/current batch, but I said I wanted to some more time to consider ideas, so it should be in the next one. If I do a 6-string though, I'd be tempted to get the same neck profile though since I think I might like it as a 6 lol

2. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I would suggest not to experiment and take the safe way with this one. After all this year of wait and Dylan stopping the custom builds, i would not risk it if it was me.

3. narad

Eh, at the moment I'm more into buying neglected old 80s ESPs and bringing them back to life, but I think if I really made a mistake and wanted another custom in the future it could probably happen. I don't really stress about it. I think he's just tired of lame custom build ideas taking up slots and pain in the ass customers. It must really suck for a slot to pop up and have to spend like a hundred hours making a weird build, and at the same time a bad customer probably eats up 5-10x more communication and email than a good one.

Not saying my builds don't qualify for that, I don't know his opinion on them, but a bunch of us guys like me and @IbanezDaemon have been throwing in Daemoness orders since the early days. I placed an order 15 years ago -- that's crazy, that's like another lifetime. I mean, I was buying Daemoness when a custom order was literally 40% of my annual post-tax+post-rent income. And guys like @Blytheryn have ideas that just seem so up Dylan's alley that I have a hard time imagining him not wanting to build it. I mean, I haven't talked to Dylan in forever and maybe he'll cut us off too, but I think we kind of have a reputation as good low-hassle guys that want Dylan to run as wild with ideas as he wants to. And if I make a mistake on the build and the book's closed, I'm old now, there's other things going on, I just can't see myself getting worked up about it.

Kind of makes me wonder - I'd love to see Dylan rank all the builds he's done in terms of his personal favorites.

4. Randy

Randy Tony Lazuto?! Super Moderator

Start with the most gore and sacrilege and work your way backward.

Hollowway and Blytheryn like this.
  5. Randy

Yeah, "velvet rope policies" are underrated. I guess if you're on the outside looking in, it probably looks like dickhead gatekeeping but it's actually better for the owner and the client both.

I've had people who it was super clear early on that our ways of doing business were 180 degrees from eachother, so I was gonna be miserable working for them and they were going to be unsatisfied working with me. Why bother?

I've had customers for the last 15 years that don't bother asking the price, don't bother asking when it's going to be done because there's a trust factor and they know I take their project as seriously as they do, but they also know their project isn't the only thing I have going on. Then I've had people who are on the phone multiple times a day the entire time the project is going on and if you let them, they'll take every waking moment you have and still not be happy when it's done.

You can kinda spot the two different types of customers from a mile off. Sometimes you gotta take what you gotta take to keep the lights on. The sweet spot is really getting enough steady business from "good" customers but the alternative is narrowing the hopper enough that you peel off the troublemakers early. I think Dylan's "no more customs" thing probably fits that mold.

6. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

:lol:

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  7. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Haha man I get that completely! I was so locked in on my first build, which was my first full custom. Dude I also started the Ed Roman route, but stopped thank goodness. I’ve played his old Quicksilver and a couple others; they were really good instruments but yeah we know the rest with that dude. BRJ got my first deposit in 2010?’ish but we ALSO know where that went...

I’ll add to the neck comments. The Flatbacker is a wide, flat backed neck as the name implies. It took a little getting used to but I do like it. It feels incredibly stable while playing. The Jörmungandr neck was a little thinner on one side than the Cimmerian I grabbed after it. Both definitely had a Jackson’ish feel but with a flattness under thumb, wide rounded shoulders. It forces you to hold the neck “properly” and is on the chunky side. Fat shredders neck is what I call it.

The Shredator is perfect for me. Right between a wizard and a EBMM JP. Slightly wider, but still thin underneath and rounded all the way. So slightly thicker than the old KxK necks. Unless you have an exact profile in mind, that one is definitely a worthy candidate. It does not have the width and chunk feel of the flatbacker, but it still has enough there that it wouldn’t feel pencil thin as a 6. That’s the one problem with my PRS is the pattern thin neck being too small, making my fingers cramp. It works with a 20” radius but not the 12”. A compound shredator would be my next build choice.

8. MAJ Meadows SF

I prefer him closing off a bit of the nonsense and making guitars the way he wants to. He’s going to be much happier that way and it will show. Most importantly, it will favor the brand and retain the most appreciative customers who understand the philosophy; it won’t be for everyone and I don’t mean that negatively. I agree a few of us have some ideas that may or may not come to fruition over time. We’ll see. Personally, I just want to see things reach the vision he has, even if it’s at the expense of tossing some ideas even I thought were cool, but may not fit the brand the way Dylan is going. It’s never supposed to have been a la carte, Burger King design building. That’s one reason why he staved off the pop poser stuff and contributes to a needed sense of purity in the scene and get away from material gain and fame. I think over time and the turmoil, the brand slowly shifted to something he didn’t want it to be as a luthier. Someone so eccentric and passionate about metal as a life philosophy could not approach their business which reps that passion in a laissez-faire manner (I laughed re-reading that line, coming from someone massively anti-statist). It can be said for certain that he’s avoided the practices and failures of BRJ, Vik, etc. when facing issues. He has a lot of personal honor in what he does, not just having a business and making money. You do need to keep water running, but how much of your soul will you sell before just lighting some candles and grinding the axe for what it was intended? Surgical strikes work better than indiscriminate bombardments.

It really would be interesting to see a ranked list or top ten of his builds. He’s done so much since then, but to dare paraphrase at the time it was completed: if he had the chance to show the Queen his craft, his examples would have been the Valkenbyrd VII and either the first Walnut topped Cimmerian VII or the one-piece Mahogany Cimmerian VII. That’s a pair of stunners, but since then I’d vote for Daemonic Possession and Malleus Maleficarum. And I know there are even more inbound that will eclipse expectations.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  9. MAJ Meadows SF

Well it started with the anti-Christ V and reverse annunciation back, complete with Satan’s fart box so I think that’s a good start!

Randy likes this.
  10. Randy

Yeah I think I remember a nun tossing a Demon's salad, so I'd probably go with that.

Samark and Hollowway like this.
  11. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

I suddenly have flashbacks of a very famous Cradle of Filth shirt.

MAJ Meadows SF and Blytheryn like this.
  12. narad

That sounds just about perfect :yesway:

MAJ Meadows SF and Samark like this.
  13. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

"Excuse me ma'am, but if you look closely you can see I have placed this volume knob so it obscures the demon's willy"

"Oh how splendid"

14. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal

Extra points of that volume knob is translucent red and has a pulsing light inside it.

15. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Badass! More pics of this will be coming soon I'm sure.

extreme.jpg

16. narad

That's insane for sure. Makes me feel bad to order a Cimmerian with the relatively traditional backside on it.

IbanezDaemon likes this.
  17. IbanezDaemon

I'd be tempted to go for that Extreme Warrior shape if I ever ordered again but that's a big 'IF'. I have four Cimmerians still on order plus I'm in the market for a used one. Looks like I ain't getting that Jotun we spoke about.

Samark likes this.
  18. IbanezDaemon

BTW. I've seen the rest of that Warrior build and it does not disappoint.

19. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

4? wow that is commitment! What have you ordered? Is the progress looking good?

20. IbanezDaemon

Two of them are in progress (6 and 7 string). The other 2 (both 7's) have had the woods purchased and I think may be in the next batch.

mehegama likes this.