Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

I do like the look of this one. Does this belong to an SS.org member by any chance?

1cim (2).jpg

2. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

The soapbars in passive routes on a custom order is slightly strange.

Hollowway likes this.
  3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I just noticed that. Maybe the customer wanted the option to change pickups later, or decided he wanted different pickups in the guitar post routing?

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  4. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

that would actually be pretty rad...

i would love to have a predator, aliens or terminator theme, but i know he wouldn't build something off of licensed properties. i get that, but would still be cool to get guitars built around ideas from my favorite 80s & 90s movies.

kinda like how hammett has the horror movie poster custom guitars. imagine what dylan could build...

5. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

He's done it before though, though that was in the early days. Though I think there's many ways to incorporate Terminator without full-on having Arnold's face on the guitar. I'd be curious to know how much he'd go in that direction. I'd be game for it, for sure, as long as I could still pull-off the color palette I have in mind.

6. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I have to say, I think this is an insanely clever idea. I’ve never had soapbar pickups on a guitar, but the idea of drilling into the top of a daemoness and potentially ruining the finish seems fairly daunting to me.

This way you could switch pickups on a whim, without any concern. Well played guitar designer, well played.

Blytheryn likes this.
  7. Blytheryn

From the guy who commissioned the build:

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  8. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

The soapbars are oversized though. I think all you could do was go to 8 string pups at least and then you’re going to still be using actives if you don’t want to go insane over the poles. Honestly hard not to think it was a mistake.

possumkiller and Blytheryn like this.
  9. possumkiller

Seems like either a mistake or a customer changed specs into the build.

10. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

It must be the perspective, but it looks as if the lowest string is off and will not make contact with the neck/frets...

11. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Shouldn't be an issue. Remember that strings do not run parallel and that the bridge is normally wider than the fretboard.

For example, the neck of an Ibanez 7-string usually measures 48mm at the nut and 65mm at the end of the fretboard. The width of a Floyd Rose 7 (measured between the posts, which is roughly equivalent to saddle width) is 84.58mm. Thus the bridge is supposed to be wider than the end of the fretboard, however, you normally will not notice because the relationship between the bridge width and nut width is such that the string path will be parallel to the edge of the fretboard.

Yeah, adding tabs here is a bit unusual--I assume the Fluence soapbar pickups are done in the EMG style where the corners of the pickup are extended to envelop the mounting screw and tab.

No way an 8-string pickup would fit, though. Fluence gives dimensions of 83mm screw-to-screw width for 7-string pickups, or 95.25mm for 8-string pickups. Dimarzio gives identical screw-to-screw dimensions for their 8-string pickups as well. I'd guess that those tab cutouts add 1-2 millimetres on each side at most, whereas you'd need 12mm extra to add an 8-string pickup.

If it wasn't an aesthetic choice it was a mistake. Yet I have to imagine Dylan did it for aesthetic reasons because why would he have a template hanging around for "soapbar plus tabs"?

Hollowway likes this.
  12. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

Yes, definitely, it's just that the angle looks so steep.
    I also refer to the highest frets.

But there's nothing there anyway, got carried away

13. Blytheryn

The guy who commissioned said build said he finds it more aesthetically pleasing.

feraledge likes this.
  14. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I believe that the nature of soapbars would have any normal tab route within the range of the soapbar. The part around the screw is the extent of a standard tab route. So there is really no need for any of it unless the customer just likes the look of it, which is a possibility.

Edit: last part, confirmation ninja’ed by Chris

Blytheryn likes this.
  15. Sermo Lupi

To be clear, he said he couldn't remember if he requested it. Which is to say the customer was (pleasantly) surprised when he saw what happened.

Regardless, I can't see how Dylan could've made the mistake. Where it serves no practical purpose, either the customer requested it and forgot, or Dylan himself prefers direct-mounted pickups to have tab routes.

16. possumkiller

Probably routed for passives and then rerouted for soapbars. Simplest explanation. I don't think anyone would request soapbars with non-functional passive tab routes. Looks the same as someone routing their RG1527RB for EMGs. There was always a little of the tab route left sticking out.

c7spheres likes this.
  17. Sermo Lupi

Depending on the template used, that'd probably explain it.

Dimarzio has square tabs on their 8-string pickups that make them slightly smaller in overall dimension than soapbar pickups (e.g. 100mm for Dimarzio vs. 102mm for Fluence). For the 7-string pickups with triangle tabs, it looks to be the opposite: the Fluence 7 overall width is 89mm (I think? Diagram is a bit unclear), whereas a standard Dimarzio 7-string pickup is 95.5mm wide (or 89.7mm screw to screw). A Seymour Duncan with square tabs is 94mm.

Looks to be what happened, in that case.

c7spheres likes this.