Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Nrf1967

Nrf1967 SS.org Regular

Deposit was in late 2016 (maybe November?) and the second payment was toward the end of last year. Actually, on checking it was in early November and Barnes also said when confirming that payment had been received : "We will send you a final invoice at the point when the guitar is ready for lacquering, which will be some time in the new year.". He didn't say which year though!

2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Urgh. So Late 2016 deposit, late 2019 second payment.

Have you actually seen any build progress photos?

@mehegama You have a Jan 2016 initial deposit, right?

If so, that is more evidence that the build queue is a total mess, and clearly they are NOT being done in a first-come-first-served manner.

dhgrind likes this.
  3. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

it's @Blytheryn that put the deposit in Jan 16 and not had his build start yet. I think Barnes was giving estimates and timelines taken right from his back side.. There are definitely inconsistencies in the queue. It is a mess. The more time passes the more I lose confidence on this,

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Flappydoodle likes this.
  4. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Technically speaking, if my wood has been selected and bought, does that count as my build being started? If so then it’s underway.

5. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

So you had the woods bought and payed the 2nd £600? Do you remember when (if) you did this? Also have you seen any pics or anything? That would be helpful to assess the timelines given that Dylan seems to take his time to write a simple statement.

6. Blytheryn

31st of October 2019. No pics yet. My build doesn’t have any fancy timber involved so it’s not like I asked for a picture of some Alder.

7. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

I see. Given that he is working in batches and he is finishing orders from late 15, yours and @Nrf1967 guitars are probably in the same batch with having the call to buy the woods in late 2019. That is 36 months of wait for him and 45 for you (there are others with more than 36 months of wait too). And given he has not contacted you both to pay the rest, for like 9-10 months, your guitars are are far from finished (if he has even started working on the woods). So that means that the current estimation to get your guitar is 5-6 years which is literally double the guide time they give (30 wait + max 8 for the build)..does not look promising for me then that I m early 18.. At least you are much closer!

8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Well, it counts for something. At least it's some sort of progress. And it means you've paid some extra money towards the build.

Blytheryn likes this.
  9. Blytheryn

Yeah, seems to be the case. As I’ve said, it’s a complete non issue on my end.

10. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

Of course. i hope Dylan comes back with some detailed assessment of the situation and his business practices though.

swollseyba and Blytheryn like this.
  11. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Dylan can't send pics of @Blytheryn 's because it's a stealth build

12. Blytheryn

Narad, you fuckin’ nailed it again. :rofl:

Merrekof, feraledge and narad like this.
  13. Nrf1967

Nrf1967 SS.org Regular

Edit : messed up the reply so will repost.

14. Nrf1967

Nrf1967 SS.org Regular

No, I've heard nothing since Barnes was in touch via Whatsapp during their visit to the wood supplier in early November. I assume they bought the top I chose but I've never had that actually confirmed.

15. swollseyba

swollseyba SS.org Regular

I really wish I had found this thread prior to making a deposit around this time last year.

whoopsies.

TrevorT likes this.
  16. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

Do we know where this statement will be posted? FB? Tweeter? The Daemoness thread? The NGD shitshow thread?

Blytheryn likes this.
  17. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

My personal view is that there won't be one. Maybe @IbanezDaemon can give him a ping if he is doing the statement or not.

Flappydoodle and Blytheryn like this.
  18. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Okay. Have done that.

Flappydoodle, StevenC, narad and 2 others like this.
  19. daemonessaxes

daemonessaxes SS.org Regular

Hello all,

Its been a long while since I’ve posted anything on here and there have been a lot of changes and challenges during this time. I realise theres been an information vacuum so I want to take some time to explain the situation on the ground and what I plan to do going forward.
    Some of these challenges have been large, outside of my control, but other problems have been caused by decisions I’ve made trying to navigate the demands of running a business like Daemoness Guitars.
    In the short term I’m trying to find a route where I can fulfil the custom order list in better time whilst not compromising the quality or artistic vision. In the long term I’m going to be reviewing and changing the way I work to increase my output, keep the creative aspect of my craft strong and maintain better lines of communication with you guys.

Daemoness happened organically and fast at the beginning. Starting out I suddenly had a lot of custom orders I wasn't expecting and the obligation to complete them made me leave Waghorn Guitars and set up my own workshop. This rapidly increasing momentum meant I never really had the time to plan and get the extra training in running a small company I needed. by nature I have a limited aptitude for business, which means that Daemoness was built on a constantly flexible, ad hoc basis. That pressure never really let off since the beginning. And (for me) that kind of pressure isn’t the best ingredient when it comes to making good decisions and coming up with my best creativity.

I am very grateful for all of you who believed in Daemoness early on and gave me the support I needed, but going forwards, I realise the way I work needs to change for the business to survive and grow.
    These guitars are very complex to produce. It has to be pure, traditional wood workshop manufacture, because the instruments I am asked to make are individual and unique.
    This poses challenges, but I chose not to go down the CNC route because I don’t think its what people wanted and the guitars would have immediately become much more uniform. Those guitars can be delivered faster, but in regards to customisation they are much more limited.
    The other challenge is that with a lot of the graphics and inlays there is simply no way technology or outsourcing can help speed up the process, beyond laser-cutting (and even that only simplify one part of a complex process). I can think of many builds where the graphics and inlays took considerably longer than making the guitar. They simply take a lot of time.

My guitars are based on the shred machines of the 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. A lot of the brands that inspired me growing up are still here, and the instruments they make are great, but these days they are all corporate owned commercial ventures, their operations are much larger, and personal performance matters way less. They can deliver guitars in good time, but this is just like ordering anything else off the shelf, and they are intensely limited in other dimensions.
    This creates the problem that someone might see a Daemoness and say “that would sit nice with my ESP”. One of the moments I was most proud of in my career was when Jackson custom shop inspected Misha Mansoor’s Cimmerian because he wanted certain elements transferred over onto his Jackson custom, and said it was “outstanding”. That was the first time I realised my gear was comparable to my favourite guitars when I was a teenager. But really, you cant have just one set of expectations about the manufacturing process behind those instruments, there is little relationship between how mine and their guitars came into being, but I realise my lack of explaining my process my have lead to this belief.

Over the years i've tried to take on other staff to alleviate the pressure and speed up production but as things stand at the moment I have come to the conclusion that I’m best off going it alone, partly so I can reestablish my understanding of the logistics and communication for the first time in years, as I haven’t been in contact with those sides of the business for a while.
    As with everyone, Covid-19 has greatly impacted my business this year, buy even before lockdown started I was in period of intense stress and discord due to things happening in my personal life which I won’t go into. We all have our problems. This is something i'm working through and its something the pressures from will ease from now on.

I have a lot of custom orders still to make but I have made the the decision to close my order book and not to take on any new builds at all, despite many people enquiring so far this year. Completing my current build list has to be my first and only priority until it is complete.

When everyone who has orders in place has their guitars I am going to stop accepting custom work.
    I’ve given it a lot of thought, and I simply cannot deliver guitars of the complexity and quality I want to within a timeframe that fits with the expectations of my customer base. I plan to work through my remaining work in a committed and diligent manner, but then when I am back to zero, I will consider taking a very limited amount of custom work, ( and I mean EXTREMELY limited).

I realise that the the number one frustration is waiting times. Again, this is a challenge that has been with me all along, and one that ultimately I have failed at managing. For this I am sorry.
    In the future I’m mainly planning on building original stock guitars that better express my craft, and selling them directly when they're finished.
    I think no waiting list, but just a supply of ready made Heavy Metal concept guitars of absolute Osmium level heaviness with no wait times would be a better contribution to the guitar community than a custom guitar operation with long wait times. Basically, I think a stress free manufacturing process would be better for everybody.

So the queue (as it is) represents the last custom slots I will offer. If you have one, and are willing to wait, I am committed to making the absolute best axe I can, that you will have for the rest of your life.
    If some of you really can’t wait, email me at daemonessdm@gmail.com to discuss refunding your deposit. These guitars will materialise, and I will throw my heart into them.

In regards to communication, after Barnes left I’m picking up the ropes again after 5 years, and anyone can email me at daemonessdm@gmail.com and I will get back to you. If you're on the build list I'll be contacting you directly over the next few weeks as I take stock of each guitar in the workshop as i'm reopening after lockdown.

As I said at the beginning, I think its been five years since I posted on here. Ultimately I just want to take what I have learnt over the last decade and create a version of Daemoness for the years ahead which is better for everybody. I hope this post has explained a bit about my challenges and plans.

Thanks all of you and for his help and understanding with all the challenges I have had, and with your support down the years.

Dylan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2020
    Velokki, Choop, AxeHappy and 24 others like this.
  20. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I only wanted to let you know that this email address looks like it might be incorrect, so if there's still time, you may be able to edit it. It looks like the "at" at the beginning is meant to be a separate word. Any mod can feel free to delete this post if/when that gets corrected.

Hollowway and Blytheryn like this.