Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

The full build. I would go for that knob/switch layout though.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  2. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    He absolutely will do custom shapes if it serves the build and brand well, i.e. metal oriented. He made a custom 7 with a Buckeye top several years back that looked like an almost wild take on a BC Rich Virgin, but very much it’s own thing.

You definitely are not missing the point of a Daemoness! The extreme shapes, artwork, and inlays do hold the essence of “metal” in so much as a visual adaptation. However, so does the natural world and I think that connection to nature within metal is something Dylan holds with high reverence because it is nature’s art. Hell it even guides his approach to stains and themes, like with mine and the Possession Cimmerian, among others. He’s stated before some of his most favorite builds are the natural wood ones with little to no artwork other than what the materials provide. The Cimmerian shape is classically inspired by the tools of the trade and has it’s own appeal that is undeniable. For all the pointy shapes I love I HAD to track one down for myself. There’s zero love lost for both that shape and the raw natural wood builds.

3. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

upload_2020-7-1_21-18-53.jpeg upload_2020-7-1_21-20-4.jpeg Some nice new builds

4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

Wow, love the subtle fan on that blue one. I didn't even notice it at first.

Samark and c7spheres like this.
  5. Heroooh

Heroooh Deer Napkin

That blue one is haawt, been more into solid colours lately and the blue combined with maple is 10/10.

MAJ Meadows SF and Samark like this.
  6. Bettershredthandead

Bettershredthandead Shredding 'till dead

I like the following neck profiles:

-Ibanez Wizard Prestige
    -early 90s Jackson Dinky profiles with a 1-11/16" nut width, and thicknesses of 17mm at 1st fret and 20mm at 12th
    -Jackson DKMXG necks with 18.669mm at first fret, 20.574 at 12th

Question: given the above, will the Daemoness Shredator profile satisfy? I was thinking of having the Wizard Prestige neck profile emulated for my build but kinda feel maybe going with luthier options is the better way since they are probably specks that would be more harmonious with the guitar overall.

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  7. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I’d ask Dylan’s expert opinion on that one as he is familiar with the classic neck profiles from Ibanez and Jackson. I do have a Shredator profile neck on the Valkenbyrd VII, and it is easily one of the most comfortable necks I’ve played on. It is similar to a Wizard neck to a degree, which I think was his baseline. You will NOT like the Flatbacker, which has thicker shoulders. I like that profile too, but not what you’re looking for. The Shredator is all around thin, fast, and comfortable.

Bettershredthandead likes this.
  8. Bettershredthandead

Actually this is perfect. I will go with the shredator then as believe it or not I was trying to get information like what you provided from Daemoness but for some reason could not get a clear explanation. If the the profile is close to anything Wizard I believe that should satisfy based on how you described.

MAJ Meadows SF and Blytheryn like this.
  9. NickBen

NickBen SS.org Regular

I just emailed Dylan for an update - last I heard he was on hold back in March due to Covid, but hadn't heard anything since. Looks like he's building again based on social media, so we will see. With 2 deposits down, I was honestly expecting some communication at this point. I will be 48 months in on the wait once we hit fall, so I'm getting a little anxious/concerned at this point, especially with minimal communication. Has anyone else heard anything from him directly?

Flappydoodle likes this.
  10. Bettershredthandead

He's responding but its more in a sporadic fashion. We are all in the same boat of uncertainty regarding our builds at this point due to what Dylan described to me as only 'changes and challenges' on his end.

11. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

Few guys receiving guitars on Facebook.

Found this, if you're interested in his SC model

MAJ Meadows SF likes this.
  12. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Don't PRS have a copyright on those bird inlays?

Can't imagine why someone would fork out all that money for Daemoness to basically make a PRS copy - you could get an American PRS for less.

Merrekof likes this.
  13. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

No shit. And the wait time isn't five years.

14. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

That's Tim's. He got that like four years ago.

Inlays are not PRS birds but crows. I'm not a lawyer, by those are different things.

cernunnostag likes this.
  15. Pat

Pat SS.org Regular

Ap
    Apologies, I've never seen a PRS bird in the wild so didn't notice the difference

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  16. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

The PRS birds are several different types of birds. And also bats on the Cradle of Filth sig. I am not sure if they own the rights to the bats though.

17. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

You should see the mating ritual.

BlackMastodon and c7spheres like this.
  18. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

How can you be certain they're crows and not ravens? Bold of you to make such a claim without being an expert on bird law.

In all seriousness, I only learned a few years ago that PRS has different birds on each fret. Here's a blog that covers the whole thing. I guess PRS's mother was somewhat of an ornithologist, which inspired him to create the birds inlay design when he was building a guitar for Peter Frampton in 1976.

Apparently the order of the birds from the nut is:
    • Peregrine falcon
    • Marsh Hawk
    • Ruby Throated Hummingbird
    • Common Tern
    • Coopers Hawk
    • Kite
    • Sparrow Landing
    • Storm Petrel
    • Hawk Landing
    • Screech Owl On A Branch (24-fret models only)

However, the inlay on the 15th fret must be a swallow-tailed kite rather than the more typical black or red kite (which look similar to the Cooper's hawk in silhouette).

With regard to Dylan's inlay, it is not only a different bird but a different concept altogether. Dylan is showing a bird's flight path and how it prepares to land. It is like frames from an animation. As a side note, this is a really cool concept for an inlay design because, as the inlays get smaller from the frets being closer together further up the neck, this can be 'explained' by the bird being farther away from the viewer and swooping closer as it comes in to land.

I'm certain I've seen similar inlay concepts elsewhere, but I can't recall where. Of course, there's many variations of 'phases' inlays, such as on Hetfield's wolf and man exploer.

19. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I wonder if he could do one where you see my hopes of getting a guitar recede further and further into the distance.

JimF, Seabeast2000, Viginez and 6 others like this.
  20. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

has anyone heard from him lately?