Official Daemoness Guitars Thread

Discussion in 'Dealers & Group Buys' started by Joe Harvatt, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

Oh I forgot 500$ is just pocket change :scratch:
    How about you just write me a check then.

2. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Whoah, don’t need to be bitter about it. I hope you get your money back.

2liveis2die35 likes this.
  3. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

im not bitter but your dismissal of 500$ makes me think you must be loaded.

Blytheryn likes this.
  4. Blytheryn

Back in the day when I placed my order I was working at a fast food restaurant 55 hours a week and sold off an old guitar in order to fund it. I’m by no means loaded. But it’s 500GBP years ago, does it matter now? Nope.

2liveis2die35 and StevenC like this.
  5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Everyone who is strongly opposed to non-refundable deposits has been free not to give one to anyone.

6. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

Thank you peanut gallery

7. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

well that’s a great story. However I’m not going to let someone keep my money that they did not earn regardless of how long it was it no goods or labor were provided.

8. prlgmnr

nah, I'm in for 600 quid on this one too so this isn't just idle

Blytheryn likes this.
  9. Blytheryn

I..guess? Just life, man.

Technically at some point in the future your build will start, and you will get the guitar. He hasn't ripped anyone off, and has with the exception of ONE guitar, always produced instruments over the years with almost zero (I say almost zero, because someone might nitpick the smallest detail, sure.) faults. In the instance of the Black/Green guitar, an instant rebuild or refund was offered without hesitation. That's a pretty good track record in my book, when you look at other small shops like ViK, Black Water et cetera, et cetera.

According to the Daemoness website: "As a guide, the estimated queue time is 30 months for a build to commence, but please be aware that this may vary depending on the complexity of our upcoming builds." There is no set in stone guarantee when your build will commence. You have to have read that before?

You state that this is your third time ordering a custom, and you've been burned twice? But that's the exact same logic as unloading your emotional trauma from a previous relationship on to your new girlfriend who's done nothing to deserve it. As it stands the risk of you getting a "defective hack-job" are pretty much zero.

I'm not Daemoness dick riding here. I've just followed the brand for the closer part of a decade, and played my fair share of them. All have been to the highest standard I can imagine, and until recently I haven't heard a bad word about them. An almost perfect track record, and their handling of recent events should prove to restore faith in the company, but I'm not you, and it's not my money. Doesn't shake my faith at least.

2liveis2die35 and IbanezDaemon like this.
  10. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

A legitimate question, and I'll admit ignorance and unsavviness in business matters...

But...

People shit on them for the long waiting list, and I've even seen people say that it's a sign that they don't know what they are doing. But...when your product is in such high demand, and supply is so limited, short of out-sourcing to increase volume...how else are you supposed to restrict the waiting list besides non-refundable deposits? As a business, it seems like there'd be no way in heck to have any sort of reliable forecast with likely hundreds more people wanting to get on the list, and then hopping off the moment they get cold feet, or "shouldn't ebay while drunk"-type scenarios.

IbanezDaemon and Blytheryn like this.
  11. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

I agree, which is why I haven't ordered one.
    The shop's reputation is pretty well known, and a big piece of that reputation is the crazy wait time. I don't really feel bad for anyone shocked that their Daemoness is taking 5 years to build because if they had done any research at all before ordering, they'd have known what they were in for.

And I'm pretty sure you're overestimating how in control of that situation you are.
    If you passed the chargeback window (which it sounds like you did), then you are 100% at their mercy on whether or not you get that money back. And since it was stressed that it was a non-refundable deposit, I doubt that that they're going to cave; especially if they see the same type of attitude on display here in this thread.

My advice would be to just try and sell the build slot. I'm sure you could get people to play ball with that and get your cash back.

I didn't know you wrote Legator's PR, Max. Learn something new every day.

BlackMastodon and Blytheryn like this.
  12. prlgmnr

Non-refundable in this case comes with its close buddy non-transferable.

13. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Can we get an F in the chat boys

Blytheryn likes this.
  14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Only take orders that you'll know you'll be able to finish in a reasonable amount of time.

Some builders just don't have the word "no" in their vocabulary.

It's great that they have an in-demand product, and I'm sure it's nice a) having a pile of "free money" from selling reservations, and b) having a solid back log of customers who aren't likely to go elsewhere as they have cash in play. But now you're in a 5+ year hole. If anything happens you're stuck with angry customers, and a lot of them.

All the super successful shops expanded when wait times started getting too long. Take on apprentices, outsource some more straightforward tasks, raise prices a bit.

Right now the problem is that the paid wait list is just absurdly long. That means they have plenty of customers, which is good. So leverage the demand by raising prices. That'll work two fold: 1) reduce the queue without reducing profit, 2) if demand holds, you'll have the cash to expand.

Blytheryn likes this.
  15. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

I think just about everyone here is dick riding daemoness at this point. Think what you all want peanut gallery.

also being turned off by a complete shit ass guitar is reason enough to want my money back. If you think it won’t happen again you’re probably either ignorant or getting paid to cheer.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Blytheryn likes this.
  16. Blytheryn

They did do that, albeit marginally from 500GBP to 600.

17. MaxOfMetal

You keep saying "peanut gallery". I don't think you know what that means.

I meant cost of build. Raise everything $1500 across the board and see what happens.

18. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

a group of people who criticize someone, often by focusing on insignificant details

Seems relevant enough for this application

19. prlgmnr

It's given me a great idea for a fretboard inlay theme.

BlackMastodon, narad and IbanezDaemon like this.
  20. MaxOfMetal

I wouldn't consider the entire basis and justification for your situation as "insignificant", but whatever.

Again, everyone is just trying to explain to you what's going on so you might have some success getting your money back, I even posted a link to relevant legal challenges, and you're yelling at everyone like we're the ones who took your money.

Chill out dude. Your fight is with Daemoness, not us.

I don't know dude. Maybe it's best if you just get your deposit back. I hear Daemoness is bad now.

You can still do that right?