Official Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Nights_Blood

Nights_Blood Fire and Brimstone

Necro, how long ago did you try it out at Tone Merchants? Did they only have the FRFR setup, or did they have a power amp to try it with?

2. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

Eh.. Im trying to dissuade myself form getting one. :lol: I already have a 1U USB interface, though its ancient, doesn't have proper drivers, and i can't seem to get anything less than 180ms of latency. :scratch:

I figured if the Axe acted as its own interface, it would be optimized and have minimal latency.

3. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

Does anyone know what the bottom line price with shipping, customs and all of that would be to get an Ultra sent to Ontario? I'm really budgeting hard.

4. JJ Rodriguez

JJ Rodriguez Contributor

Depends on if they ship it USPS or not, how much of a risk you're willing to take, etc.

$1850 US for a used Ultra, you can bet they'll charge you AT LEAST $50 to ship it, and then you have 13% sales tax on that once it crosses the border. If they send it UPS, tack on another $70-125, depending on the declared/insured value.

You can always get them to declare/insure it for less if you want to try and save cash on the customs fees, but that's a pretty big risk if it gets fucked up in shipping.

All and all, I paid about $2500 CAD for my Ultra by the time it got to my door, used. That was however when the dollar was REALLY shitty (like 80-85 cents US). I'm guessing you could get a used one to your door for roughly $2200, if it ships USPS.

right_to_rage likes this.
  5. Necrophagist777

Necrophagist777 can't bend....

They have EVERYTHING!!! They have about 6 Atomics in there, and all the vht poweramps and cabs you could shake a stick at.

Personally I tried it with just the Atomics, because that is the route I was first planning to go. It's literally a fever dream of gear at that place, nothing but the best of the best.

It's by appointment only except on Saturdays when it is open to the public I believe.

6. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

My questions of the day!

1) I like my ENGL, but supposedly you can get a lot better results out of an AxeFX if you do a lot of in-apartment playing/practicing. A good tube amp is likely to get you evicted if you want to get the best sound out of it, but an AxeFX can simulate a cranked tube amp without the volume know at 11, right?

2) Say I still want to use my physical tube amp, can I use the AxeFX as a sick sick effects processor? Is it easy to make it stop simulating amps/cabs with literally no change to my tone (except for the effects of course), when put on the effects loop?

7. Necrophagist777

1) Yes, the axe fx and a decent pair of reference monitors and you have the best practice rig around.

2) Ask John Petrucci, that's apparently what he is doing now. :yesway:

8. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

Part 2:

So reference monitors and not my cab? Is that basically because I would need a poweramp to give the AxeFX enough juice to power the cab? Why not that?

Can you put it on the FX loop of the amp and then somehow magically record that to the PC without a mic through the AxeFx itself? Or it doesn't really work that way?

9. Necrophagist777

Well...you were talking about playing at low volumes, a poweramp and cab would usually pump out a good amount of volume. Now with a solid state poweramp you could do pretty good at low volumes but the reference monitors would do a better job at bedroom volumes IMO.

2. No you couldn't in conjuction with the amp but you can always of course record direct with just the axe fx. (I'm having a hard time understanding the question though, so I might not be getting what your going at.)

10. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

AXE EDIT - Fractal Audio Systems / Atomic Amplifiers - Software Editor/Manager for the Axe FX Guitar Pre-Amp / Effects Processor

For those who are thinking of getting one, just take a look at the editing software. I had no idea what it was capable of until I started exploring this software. It was a massive epiphany, I realize that I don't need the Ultra to do what I need it to do! (my savings account breaths a deep sigh of relief)

Quick question; I'm looking at the CPU usage meter in the top right, what percent of CPU usage will the Standard overload at? I keep racking up some heavy presets, dual amp stuff and getting up around 80-90% lol.

11. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

What I meant was use the amp, redirect it through AxeFX applying all of the effects I want, and have AxeFX connected to the PC for recording. Possible?

12. Cadavuh

Cadavuh Bounce The ....

Say I hypothetically switched from my standard rig to an axe fx FRFR rig. What would be the best choice for a powered monitor? One that would be loud enough to play at band practice as well as shows where there is no micing involved? Would i have to get 2? or possibly a powered and a passive. If you have 1 powered can it power a passive?

13. Wiz

Wiz SS.org Regular

Say I get the reference monitors that you guys recommended for the AxeFX home-use. Any ones in particular you would recommend? Can I use them without any additional poweramps, straight from the AxeFX?

14. snuif09

snuif09 SS.org Regular

huh i have dowloaded it too so i could look at the effects/amps in such but i didnt get any sounds out of it i tought that was normal lol how did you do that?

Necrophagist777 likes this.
  15. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

Well, if you want to record the tone from your amp (not the Axe-Fx) through your cab (still not the Axe-Fx), with only the FX from the Axe-Fx, without using mics, then no.

What you can do is use the Axe-Fx to make a replica of your regular amp rig, and use that patch for recording. So you wouldn't be using your amp or cab at all. Periphery did this for example, they use their tube rigs live but on the recordings the only used the Axe-Fx, simulating their actual rigs.

If you want your regular amp setup with just the effects from the Axe-Fx, while still having the Axe-Fx plugged into your recording interface bypassing your amp rig... sure. Just make a few patches with no amps or cabs on the Axe-Fx, leaving only the effects you want, then make a couple of patches for recording, with all the amp models and cabs that you want. It might require switching some cables around between recording and using your regular rig, but it should be a quick job. I haven't personally tried this and I think it seems like an unnecessary hassle, but whatever works for you, mate! :yesway:

Reference monitors = Studio monitors. The idea is that you plug your Axe-Fx into your recording interface, and play it back with whatever speakers you use for recording with. This can be anything from cheap PC speakers to a line-array of the finest monitors you can buy, your budget sets the limits. Studio monitors are generally powered by plugging into the wall, simple as that. So no, you wouldn't need any additional poweramps.

16. Necrophagist777

Yes, the monitors are powered so you don't need a poweramp. There is a huge range of options price wise. The Krks or M-Audio Studiophile aren't bad. If you are gonna record at home, they are a necessary tool anyway, might as well get them now haha.

EDIT: John beat me to it and answered the questions so much better........I fail at life.......

17. JohnIce

To get sounds, you kinda have to buy an Axe-Fx, man ;) The editor is a good tool to see if the Axe is capable of modeling the amps you want and doing the signal chains you want, but it doesn't make any sound on its own.

18. snuif09

snuif09 SS.org Regular

yea already thought of that haha but i have heard somewhere you can use it as some sort of trial is that true?

19. JohnIce

Fractal are working on a plugin version of the Axe-Fx, but it doesn't have any official release date. So far, you need to have the actual Axe-Fx box to get to any of the sounds. If the editor had the same capabilites as the actual Axe-Fx, it would be a pretty damn massive-sized download and it'd require a very good computer to run it.

snuif09 likes this.
  20. JohnIce

Aw, no we all like you anyway man! :cheers: