Lax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the axefx2xl+ since 2015 and even if I toyed around with pedals for lols, I only use two : A morpheus droptune (not always but it's nice to keep preset low on memory usage), a G-Lab wowee wah (even if the axe can do wah, it's a present and I love its tweakability and confort) and a DIY fuzz factory.
If I was to add other pedals it would probably only be fuzzes :D

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My FM9 board has a Drop and a Halo.

The Drop is there because you only get one pitch block and I like to use that for dual detune which is glorious in stereo.

The Halo is on there because it's awesome and somewhat unique. It instantly became my favorite delay pedal of all time. I'm guessing I could dial in a delay on the FM9 to sound quite similar but I think it might take a lot of work tweaking modulation and diffusion and such. Also, I had room and available power for another pedal so figured I'd use it.

Ben Pinkus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
^ any pics of the FM9 board.
I'm considering upgrading my setup to FM9/QC/Helix and looking for inspiration

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My FM9 board has a Drop and a Halo.

The Drop is there because you only get one pitch block and I like to use that for dual detune which is glorious in stereo.

The Halo is on there because it's awesome and somewhat unique. It instantly became my favorite delay pedal of all time. I'm guessing I could dial in a delay on the FM9 to sound quite similar but I think it might take a lot of work tweaking modulation and diffusion and such. Also, I had room and available power for another pedal so figured I'd use it.
Did you see the halo thread on the forum?

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, today is the day. After much deliberation I ordered a FM3 and EV-2 and it should be getting here soon. I think it will be powerful enough for me and it will be nice to be able to move it around easier. My Axe II / GT1000FX rack is buried in gear and is a pain to change the connections on. I am really curious to see all of these poweramp / speaker interaction updates for the chug, lol.

I have been using a trial of Helix Native for the past week. I figured that would be an easy way to check it out. I REALLY love the Badonk model, but I dont really like most of the other amps, and there is really no way to change the basic character of the amps like you can on Fractal. Effects are nice, although limited. Overall, I really love that one sound and could see picking up a cheap HX stomp for that one day. I even took some screenshots of the frequency response of the Badonk preset I made and have tried to replicate it on the Axe II.

Breeding The Spawn

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, today is the day. After much deliberation I ordered a FM3 and EV-2 and it should be getting here soon. I think it will be powerful enough for me and it will be nice to be able to move it around easier. My Axe II / GT1000FX rack is buried in gear and is a pain to change the connections on. I am really curious to see all of these poweramp / speaker interaction updates for the chug, lol.

I have been using a trial of Helix Native for the past week. I figured that would be an easy way to check it out. I REALLY love the Badonk model, but I dont really like most of the other amps, and there is really no way to change the basic character of the amps like you can on Fractal. Effects are nice, although limited. Overall, I really love that one sound and could see picking up a cheap HX stomp for that one day. I even took some screenshots of the frequency response of the Badonk preset I made and have tried to replicate it on the Axe II.
FM3 Definitely chugs and more!
I'm using a Ritter 280w power amp.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FM3 Definitely chugs and more!
I'm using a Ritter 280w power amp.

Sounds nice and chunky!

I have only had about 15 minutes with it into my studio monitors (which never sounds as good as a poweramp and cab...), but my first thoughts:

1. This thing is pretty big and heavy. It is a huge hunk of metal, lol. It is bigger than it looks in pictures.
2. The sound definitely seems less bloated in the low end than the Axe II, and there is a hi-def type clarity in the highs.
3. The feel definitely seems more lifelike. Not overly compressed, but also not under-compressed as many modelers can feel.
4. The presets are basically the same as the II, but I like how the Scenes are usable. Lots of cool variations. Scenes were added to the II later on and the factory presets never really utilized them past having a scene with only amp and another with 10 effects on.
5. I was able to make some edits pretty quick. It basically works like the older Axe units, only in color. It was pretty easy to understand where things are. All the new meters are nice.

Hopefully I get a lot of time this weekend to mess with it some more and install the software.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you had to pick one fractal cab to use which would it be?
Not much point to this because each amp model works best with a different cab.

If I had to pick some do-it-all cab then it would probably be one of the 4x12 Greenback ones.

Decapitated

Loser
Reaction score
Follow up
I'm running a Fryette PS-2 with a Mesa Traditional 4X12 & a Mesa 2X12 in my home studio. It sounds great!

20220821-171930.jpg
Follow up question. The 2x12 Vertical I wanted is going to be out of stock for the foreseeable future. It got me thinking, for bedroom use, would a Traditional 4x12 be absolute overkill or would it sound fuller than a vertical 2x12? Thanks!

nangillala

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The 3Monkeys 4x12 for anything with gain and the 4x10 Bassman for clean. If you really want one cab for everything I would go with one of the "Rumble" (/Thiele) cabs.
(But as others said... why...)

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not a "fractal" branded cab, but one that covers so many bases will is ML Sound Lab's "Best IR in the World."

https://www.youtube.com/redirect?ev...&q=https://tinyurl.com/mlbestir&v=BI6rovO03DA
I think that link should work. If not, there is a link below the video:

Is it the "best?" No. At least not for certain specific applications where you could find better in that given context. However, I have found it to be a good cab that works great in a variety of applications. Based on this, I would pick it if I were only allowed to use one IR.

Oh, and it's free.

GreatGreen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Easy.
Legacy cab #103 - 4x12 Basketweave TV Mix
It's an IR of an early 70s Marshall 1960 TV angled tall 4x12 cab.

To me, that IR is magic and works with just about everything. I always start with it as a baseline, then if I feel like something different I'll blend in other IRs along with it.

Last edited:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fwiw 21B dropped, cygnus-2 hours.