NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Many ways. I believe Leon Todd has a tutorial on it.

- low cut in cab block
- 57 mic IRs
- input eq on the amp page
- multi-band compression
- cut switch
- bass lower on eq
- set mid sweep to low mids and cut
- ts808 etc
- less gain
Thanks, seen a few of these. I'll poke through his channel. Feel like I'm 90% therr

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Anyone have any good tips for making high gain 7 string tight metal tonez?

I'm doing ok in making decent tones so far. But the 7th string always ends up being very thick and bassy sounding. I'm thinking of loading some new IRs in to see if that solves it.

Are there any tips you guys use? Cut depth to 0 and boost bass on the amp? Cut switch? Other stuff?

I really want to make a HBE tone but it's super thick. I mostly play melodic death.

If you want a very overkill and ridiculous option, attach the pitch follower modifier to your amp block bass knob so when you play the low strings it turns bass down.

But for most people just using the Input EQ in the amp block to cut bass will do the trick. It might sound counterintuitive but 7 and especially 8 strings tend to need more treble, less bass.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Found some Leon videos and some other forum posts and now my amp tones are better than ever. Thanks for the tips.

Now I just need to make sure it sounds good through .y 4x12

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm having trouble setting up a MIDI Controller for Preset & Scene changes with the Axe-FX II. Can anybody help me?

I've read the manual & it says:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I can set "Ignore Redundant PC" to On & set "Mapping Mode" to Custom. Cool. Got that, but I'm not sure what "Select an entry for Map From Preset" & "Select the desired entries for Map To Preset & Map To Scene" means?

This is what the menu looks like. It's obviously just a number but I don't understand what it does & what the number should be...

3.jpg

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm having trouble setting up a MIDI Controller for Preset & Scene changes with the Axe-FX II. Can anybody help me?

I've read the manual & it says:

1.jpg

2.jpg

I can set "Ignore Redundant PC" to On & set "Mapping Mode" to Custom. Cool. Got that, but I'm not sure what "Select an entry for Map From Preset" & "Select the desired entries for Map To Preset & Map To Scene" means?

This is what the menu looks like. It's obviously just a number but I don't understand what it does & what the number should be...

3.jpg
Here's a wild guess and I may be way off base, as I use an AX8, but "Map from preset" would be the button on your controller and then you choose which option to apply it to.

For example:
Set mapping mode to custom,
Map from preset/button 1 on your controller you might want to select preset 1, scene 1 on your AFX,
Map from preset/button 2 you might want to select preset 2, scene 1,
Map from preset/button 3 you might want to select preset 2, scene 2,
Map from preset/button 4 you might want to select preset 2, scene 3,
etc.

Since your screenshot shows you are not using the custom mapping mode and shows a zero on your "map from preset", it is not doing the mapping.

Someone with more experience might have a better opinion.

EDIT: Revised after reading the manual better.

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's a wild guess and I may be way off base, as I use an AX8, but "Map from preset" would be the button on your controller and then you choose which option to apply it to.

For example:
Set mapping mode to custom,
Map from preset/button 1 on your controller you might want to select preset 1, scene 1 on your AFX,
Map from preset/button 2 you might want to select preset 2, scene 1,
Map from preset/button 3 you might want to select preset 2, scene 2,
Map from preset/button 4 you might want to select preset 2, scene 3,
etc.

Since your screenshot shows you are not using the custom mapping mode and shows a zero on your "map from preset", it is not doing the mapping.

Someone with more experience might have a better opinion.

EDIT: Revised after reading the manual better.

Thanks for the reply! I just didn't have Mapping Mode on Custom in that picture.

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I just didn't have Mapping Mode on Custom in that picture.
NP.

Did that make sense about needing to set "map from preset" and a "map to preset" values?

Right now, you just have "map to scene" 1. You need to set both a "map from preset," which I assume is the preset value sent from your controller, and a "map to preset," which would be the preset on your AFX that includes the scene 1 you are mapping to.

I.e., if you want controller button 1 on your controller to map to scene 1 in preset 1 on the AFX, you need to set all of those values.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
NP.

Did that make sense about needing to set "map from preset" and a "map to preset" values?

Right now, you just have "map to scene" 1. You need to set both a "map from preset," which I assume is the preset value sent from your controller, and a "map to preset," which would be the preset on your AFX that includes the scene 1 you are mapping to.

I.e., if you want controller button 1 on your controller to map to scene 1 in preset 1 on the AFX, you need to set all of those values.

I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.
Yes, I understand what you're saying but wouldn't the values change when I want to change to a different preset & scene? This looks like a Global type setting in the I/O Menu to me. What you're saying would make sense if I was putting those values into my MIDI controller to send to the Axe-FX... or maybe I'm just misunderstanding something.

Lopp

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yes, I understand what you're saying but wouldn't the values change when I want to change to a different preset & scene? This looks like a Global type setting in the I/O Menu to me. What you're saying would make sense if I was putting those values into my MIDI controller to send to the Axe-FX... or maybe I'm just misunderstanding something.
Your MIDI controller is already sending some form of those values to the AFX. For example, button 1 on your controller likely sends a "1", which is the value you put into the "map from preset" field on the AFX.

If you want to change to a different preset and scene using, for example, button 2 on your controller, you set "map from preset" field to "2" to match the value from your controller and then set "map to preset" and "map to scene" fields to your desired scene and preset.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Fw 20.04 dropped and new axe edit.

Elric

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You should just ignore that entire section of the manual unless you want to use program change messages to control scenes; You would only do that if you wanted to start at a scene other than 0 when switching presets.

IMHO, easiest way to control presets and scenes on any if the AxeFxs via MIDI: Use Program Change messages to control Preset. Use continuous controller values CC34 (IIRC) to control the scene.

It is simple if your controller is flexible and you understand MIDI pretty well.

D-Nasty

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You should just ignore that entire section of the manual unless you want to use program change messages to control scenes; You would only do that if you wanted to start at a scene other than 0 when switching presets.

IMHO, easiest way to control presets and scenes on any if the AxeFxs via MIDI: Use Program Change messages to control Preset. Use continuous controller values CC34 (IIRC) to control the scene.

It is simple if your controller is flexible and you understand MIDI pretty well.
Yes. I've been studying the manual & I came to the same conclusion. Thank you for taking the time to reply. 🤘

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally something good came from Brexit!

G66 now have a UK store!

now I’d like to checkout one of the fractal expression pedals. What are the advantages over mission pedals?

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, I get the dumbass of the day award, lol.

I was setting up my Axe II as an effects unit running after my amp and new Fractal X-Load. It was destroying my tone and I could not figure out what was going on. I messed with it for hours, consulted the manual, etc..... I finally found that my input 1 was set to Sum L+R instead of Left Only. I was amazed at how much of a difference this made. Totally different. Even made my Axe only presets sound and feel much better. I can't even tell you how many MONTHS/YEARS this has been set this way.

I still think my Rocktron units are more transparent and will probbably work better for this purpose, but definitely check your input modes! I can not believe how much of a difference this made.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
@Shask just tried this in my 3 and didn't hear any difference with my eyes closed clicking away FYI. Pretty basic chain though.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Shask just tried this in my 3 and didn't hear any difference with my eyes closed clicking away FYI. Pretty basic chain though.
I wouldn't think it would make any difference if you dont have anything plugged into R, but it made a huge difference. It like halfed the signal so it was very weak, so I had the input controls cranked, the input gain trim cranked on the amp blocks, and it still sounded weird and weak in the lows and low mids. As soon as I clicked to Left Only, it like kicked in with double the volume and dynamics.

I was using the rear input, so maybe it is not as noticeable if you are using the front input? I dunno.