budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Lol, the Klone people have been asking for since the Axe Ultra.

Maybe the HM-2 will be coming also, as it has been on the wish list for years.
Wouldnt be mad. Cliff bought a klon a while back iirc. I still want the model T in the amp block.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
On the face of it yes, but also swapping tone stacks and running things into bass cab IRs means you can still come up with a lot of bass tones. I always +1 bass amp wishes.
I remember reading the same thing about the axe fx 2 on talkbass 5 or 6 years ago.

Between Fractal not giving a shit about bassists and the Helix models sounding really bad I'll just stick to pre amp pedals

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember reading the same thing about the axe fx 2 on talkbass 5 or 6 years ago.

Between Fractal not giving a shit about bassists and the Helix models sounding really bad I'll just stick to pre amp pedals
They definitely have room for improvement in actual models but like I said, the amount you can twist any amp into a unique bass amp is pretty astounding. Clearly that’s not what you’re interested in so yeah dont buy one :lol:

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
They definitely have room for improvement in actual models but like I said, the amount you can twist any amp into a unique bass amp is pretty astounding. Clearly that’s not what you’re interested in so yeah dont buy one :lol:

Yeah, playing with tonestacks could lead to great results. But having an Aguilar or GK so I can just plug and play is going to be necessary for me to pick one up.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, playing with tonestacks could lead to great results. But having an Aguilar or GK so I can just plug and play is going to be necessary for me to pick one up.
People have posted tone matches etc for GK and some others. Have you checked the bass section of the fractal forum?

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I was hesitant about bass flexibility, but in practice I find the extra available tools to be more important than a heap of models. Lots of ways to overcome the lack of bass-specific models:

- Use the guitar models. Lots of guitar amps sound fine or even great for bass with some tweaking.
- There's a bajjilion ways to add drive/dirt anyway.
- The tone stack swapping is a thing.
- Having all of the DSP available to jam eqs and stuff wherever you want means you can "fix" whatever is wrong with your bass tone in the room. I find that in jam scenarios I need to play loud to match 2x guys with Rectos, but real bass amps put out gobs of low end, and low end eats headroom - so I now have the option of sticking a hi-pass in the chain, which is great for protecting your cabs, but also gives you headroom back.
- You can use the "tube pre" model and flatten the speaker curve to give you the equivalent of a blank platform to jam any drive in front like you would with a preamp pedal.
- There's a darkglass model in there, which is going to be enough for lots of people.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Can't agree with Helix models sounding bad. I've gotten very good bass tones out of them.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a question if anyone can drop some knowledge.

Why do my tones change when switching between X and Y on my cab block with the same IR on X and Y?

I'm making a patch with two Recto model heads one block (X is Recto 1 Org moder, Y is Recto1 Red) and one Recto cab block. It's set to Hi/Ultra Res and all settings are the same and set to default for Cabinet/Pre Drv/Room.

Not the end of the world, just unexpected and I don't get it.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a question if anyone can drop some knowledge.

Why do my tones change when switching between X and Y on my cab block with the same IR on X and Y?

I'm making a patch with two Recto model heads one block (X is Recto 1 Org moder, Y is Recto1 Red) and one Recto cab block. It's set to Hi/Ultra Res and all settings are the same and set to default for Cabinet/Pre Drv/Room.

Not the end of the world, just unexpected and I don't get it.
Then most likely there is some difference. Try resetting the cab block first and rebuilding your settings.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Then most likely there is some difference. Try resetting the cab block first and rebuilding your settings.
I'll try that, thank you. I wonder if it was one thing with the editor, I've had some little quirks here and there when editing.

cmpxchg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, got a AFX 3 Turbo. Initial thoughts: it rules, I have very little idea what I'm doing, but it sounds great.

USB is a bit of a mess, and I think it's probably better to route other things through it. The annoying part is I don't have enough XLR cables right now to get both a DI and processed sound into my Apollo (or stereo), so more noodling than recording at the moment. But still, wow it sounds good.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, got a AFX 3 Turbo. Initial thoughts: it rules, I have very little idea what I'm doing, but it sounds great.

USB is a bit of a mess, and I think it's probably better to route other things through it. The annoying part is I don't have enough XLR cables right now to get both a DI and processed sound into my Apollo (or stereo), so more noodling than recording at the moment. But still, wow it sounds good.
What do you mean usb is a mess? Should be able to do DI and effecter signal over usb.

cmpxchg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
What do you mean usb is a mess? Should be able to do DI and effecter signal over usb.
Random disconnects (or at least unresponsive), no idea why. Never had an issue with another USB device. Need to try a different cable, but I'm using a normal USB2 cable.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Random disconnects (or at least unresponsive), no idea why. Never had an issue with another USB device. Need to try a different cable, but I'm using a normal USB2 cable.
My experience of 3 years on the forum in the axe section is 99% of the time its the cable. You can still use the apollo but you wont need it for what you want to do.

cmpxchg

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My experience of 3 years on the forum in the axe section is 99% of the time its the cable. You can still use the apollo but you wont need it for what you want to do.
Grabbing a new USB cable to see if that makes a difference, but also realized I could use SPDIF and that's fine. Also means I don't need to leave the Axe FX on--I'm surprised there's no option to turn off the screen given how bright it is.