c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
My guy you have been on the fence for years. Just buy a used one and rock out.

Half the tables you’re asking for have been made (for previous firmwares) by regular users who put the time in.

Buying used means at most you lose a couple hundred bucks - consider that a rental fee. But seriously, just buy one.
- That;s probably what I'll end up doing. I've been secretly trying out other stuff first though. : )

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Bro, I've openly said in the past I didn't give two shits about ever owning an AXE; then I ended up spending 2/3rds of what used FXIIs are going for on a different unit that didn't work, and then I just bit the bullet.

If "Just buy a used 5150" wasn't already the amp equivalent to "Just buy a used Prestige" then it'd be an Axe Fx.

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’d fallen a bit behind with my AF3 while I was playing my QC. Loaded up FW20 last week. I’d forgotten how good it is!

the thing I liked about the QC was the feel and what I thought of as better cab modelling. Found a couple of stock IRs I’d not used before and did some testing between the two. I’ve tried fullres (mk2 owner) and while it’s good, I think I prefer using the studio reverb. I need to spend more time with it.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I think fullres is meant to be mixed in but I cant remember.

Deadpool_25

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bro, I've openly said in the past I didn't give two shits about ever owning an AXE; then I ended up spending 2/3rds of what used FXIIs are going for on a different unit that didn't work, and then I just bit the bullet.

If "Just buy a used 5150" wasn't already the amp equivalent to "Just buy a used Prestige" then it'd be an Axe Fx.
It seems to me we’ve already transitioned to just by an AxeFX (or other modeler) unless the person is adamant that they want a real amp (and even then people will say to just get a modeler lol).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Despite my ability to still not read the fucking manual (because it's 200 god damn pages), I've been just trying out some more of the presets that were in the Axe 2 I bought, and finding myself using things I wouldn't normally expect to in ways that I didn't think I would; recently I stumbled onto the Gilmour patches and went down a big sort of phaser-wash-y droning passage using the low open E as the root to riff over.

Then I found the Diezel VH4 patch, and hoo boy, if that ain't some solid chunk goodness

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I read the manual before I even got my 3 :lol:. I knew I wouldnt retain huge chunks but its a good prep.

Also Yek’s guides are the goods.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I read the manual before I even got my 3 :lol:. I knew I wouldnt retain huge chunks but its a good prep.

Also Yek’s guides are the goods.

I'll get to them eventually, my schedule is just kind of shit at the moment.

Work from 8/9 - 5, then get home at 5:30, decompress for the next half hour, then need to eat by 7PM so I can get to the gym for 8-10PM; and I do that as a 3-on, 1-off schedule, so that means during 4 of my work-days. So cramming in some of the most dull reading you've ever done next to Electrical/Plumbing codes that I've also done for work, isn't exactly jumping out at me compared to say, just playing guitar with the presets that are already there.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thats how I did it. I had a blend of two then added it as the 3rd cab and messed with the levels. I think the key is getting the mix level right
You add the left/right fullres IRs and pan then 100% left/right and then adjust their levels. I find that about -5 dB works for me.

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You add the left/right fullres IRs and pan then 100% left/right and then adjust their levels. I find that about -5 dB works for me.

thanks - I’ll check it out tonight.

Just using one I noticed about a 10% increase in CPU (I have a mk2 - only because I was daft enough to sell my mk1)

The Thing Upstairs

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
thanks - I’ll check it out tonight.

Just using one I noticed about a 10% increase in CPU (I have a mk2 - only because I was daft enough to sell my mk1)

Running stock IRs in slots one and 2 and the YA full res IRs in 3 and 4 sounded cool. I preferred a more subtle -7.5-10db though. The increase in CPU was about 22% so had to take the quality of my reverb down a fair bit.
To my ear it sounds back a bit if that makes sense. More cab like but I still think I prefer it either more subtle or without. Not sure its worth the CPU to me. If I want a more cab like sound, I'll run it through my cab.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Someone did also post the equivalent (give or take) with a specific reverb block setup on the fractal forum.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Someone did also post the equivalent (give or take) with a specific reverb block setup on the fractal forum.
It's not the same in my experience. I've tried dialing in reverb to sound like fullres IRs and I don't think you can get anything better than "somewhat in the ballpark". Especially for headphone use I think Fullres IRs are great. But as it is the feature is in its infancy and there's no instructions how to capture them and so on.

I tried making them from my own cabs but the end results ended up way more reverberant than I heard in the room. Haven't had the time to try again.