NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
If I already had a Kemper I'd probably keep it. I can't imagine there's a huge sonic delta between the two

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Something that no one else has mentioned either, Is it worth selling a kemper and helix for an Axe II? I feel like the difference in sounds between those units is probably negligible so either upgrade to the 3 or keep playing what you have until a more meaningful leap has been made.
The Kemper is unique in terms of modelers so maybe you can consider keeping it.

This all depends on what you want out of Fractal. It has better reverb/delay/modulation than either, it has more amp models, a massive IR library built in and tons of tweakability and ability to make very complex signal chains if needed. Whether that is worth it to you over what you have is individual preference.

I like Helix workflow a lot and its drive models are better than Fractal to me. I still went with an Axe-Fx 3 in the end but still like the Helix Floor a lot, I think Helix is especially great as a live setup because its footswitching is so nice to use and intuitive and its quick to work with from the front panel. My Axe-Fx 3 pretty much sits at a desk so I am using the editor software a lot more which solves the UI issues Fractal has pretty nicely.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At this point, when anyone inquires about an AxeFX VS. anything else my general reply is “Get an AxeFX if you’re interested in tweaking things to hell and back. You don’t have to, but the option is there. If you want stuff provided for you, go with something else.”

Inevitably a user of ‘something else’ will come along, taking offense to that as if I said they were incapable of tweaking something into what they want.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Try stuff til you find what works :2c: :yesway:

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO if you can afford it, the Axe FX is a must unless you like semi-obscure solid state high gain amps like me.

But then again like 99% of modelers still don't cover those. Still want my ISP Theta, Marshall 8100, and Peavey Bandit/Supreme/XXL models, Fractal.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
IMO if you can afford it, the Axe FX is a must unless you like semi-obscure solid state high gain amps like me.

But then again like 99% of modelers still don't cover those. Still want my ISP Theta, Marshall 8100, and Peavey Bandit/Supreme/XXL models, Fractal.

I’ve got an XXL at home, I’m curious how well I could dial in an existing model in my III to replicate it. I’d imagine I can certainly get in the ballpark with a 5150 model.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Got to finally play through the matrix. Sounds great!

One thing I can't figure out is one of my patches has a high pitch squeal going on. My patch that's just a copy does not have the same squeal. Can't figure it out.

Also having a lot of issues with the input noise gate. I don't recall a lot of feedhack through the peavey, but through the matrix my feedback is pretty nuts.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got to finally play through the matrix. Sounds great!

One thing I can't figure out is one of my patches has a high pitch squeal going on. My patch that's just a copy does not have the same squeal. Can't figure it out.

Also having a lot of issues with the input noise gate. I don't recall a lot of feedhack through the peavey, but through the matrix my feedback is pretty nuts.
Maybe some weird preset corruption? Or otherwise you have something that applies high gain and possibly a feedback loop. Check out the meters page on the front panel in the layout grid to see if the levels look off somewhere.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
Maybe some weird preset corruption? Or otherwise you have something that applies high gain and possibly a feedback loop. Check out the meters page on the front panel in the layout grid to see if the levels look off somewhere.
Yeah not really sure. Gonna check it out some more Tuesday. I didn't notice it with the 5150 as a poweramp, so was thinking it might be the matrix but who knows.

Axiom451

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After switching to Kemper from Helix I'm heavily thinking about selling both and getting an Axe FX III

I can get a solid deal on a Mark I AXE FX III but there's a Mark II and even Turbo out now.
(2000€ used Mark I instead of new Mark II 2700€)

Is the release of a XL(+) or even IV around the corner?
Is the Mark I outdated or am I good to go?

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After switching to Kemper from Helix I'm heavily thinking about selling both and getting an Axe FX III

I can get a solid deal on a Mark I AXE FX III but there's a Mark II and even Turbo out now.

The only thing the Mark 1 cannot do is Fullres IRs. Well technically it can but it does not have the storage space to actually save them. It can only load them in the Scratchpad which is not practical at all. Even the Mk 2 can only save a limited amount of them (I think maybe 32 and they are usually separate left/right files) as they take a lot of space.

These are basically room mic IRs and to me they sound fantastic in home situations through headphones or studio monitors but would not be relevant for live use or recording. The feature is in its infancy because Fractal has not yet released a version of Cab Lab that can create Fullres IRs so what is available on the Axe-Fx 3 legacy bank is nearly all you have and 3rd parties haven't been able to release more of them. Axe-Fx 3 hardware can create Fullres IRs but I haven't tested this feature yet.

I have a Mark 2 and the only situation where you might want a Turbo is if you want to run a massive setup with dual amps, dual cabs with FullRes IRs, plenty of fx. Otherwise it's pretty hard to fill the Mk2 CPU to the brim. I definitely would not pay 700 extra for the Fullres stuff.

I don't see Fractal releasing another revision. Fractal is already struggling to make FM9s for sale due to component shortages.

I also don't see an Axe-Fx 4 in the near future which is why I picked up a used Axe-Fx 3 Mk2. Looking at what DSP chips are available, they are already using pretty much the most powerful ones that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. As an example, TI does offer a version of the Axe-Fx 3 Keystone processor that is basically two of those together and it costs massively more than the one used in the Axe-Fx 3. An Axe-Fx 4 using one would be a very expensive unit. I guess that an Axe-Fx 4 could be 3-4 years away, considering the situation in the world and that they released the FM9 only recently. Even the Axe-Fx 3 came about because the processor used in the Axe-Fx 2 was discontinued.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

You’re good to go.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I know I've asked this before but I'll try again. Is there any way to run Axe Edit without the AxeFx III connected? It doesn't appear so yet, and It;s a real bummer because I'd like to make generic patches beforehand then load them up right after I get one (If I ever do). Just curious if this is stll the case or if it's maybe possible now. Maybe there's a way to trick it into running etc.

- I'd like to use it to see what the parameters and value ranges are for everything in the unit beforehand .It's not in the manual, on Wiki etc, and when I've emailed Fractal about it the answer was to just get one and return if I don't like it, but I don't want one if it's not capable of what I'm looking for. and when I do try one out I wanna try it out, not sift through everything documenting if it' s capable, and there's a lot of specifics, so I can't just ask for every single parameter. I don't think 2 weeks trial would be long enough to even document it all.
- It'd be nice if Fractal updated the manuals with a list of parameters and value ranges, but it appears if I try one out the grace period will be just a bunch of documenting and testing rather than playing it. Any help is appreciated if anyone knows of a resource etc.

Shask

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know I've asked this before but I'll try again. Is there any way to run Axe Edit without the AxeFx III connected? It doesn't appear so yet, and It;s a real bummer because I'd like to make generic patches beforehand then load them up right after I get one (If I ever do). Just curious if this is stll the case or if it's maybe possible now. Maybe there's a way to trick it into running etc.

- I'd like to use it to see what the parameters and value ranges are for everything in the unit beforehand .It's not in the manual, on Wiki etc, and when I've emailed Fractal about it the answer was to just get one and return if I don't like it, but I don't want one if it's not capable of what I'm looking for. and when I do try one out I wanna try it out, not sift through everything documenting if it' s capable, and there's a lot of specifics, so I can't just ask for every single parameter. I don't think 2 weeks trial would be long enough to even document it all.
- It'd be nice if Fractal updated the manuals with a list of parameters and value ranges, but it appears if I try one out the grace period will be just a bunch of documenting and testing rather than playing it. Any help is appreciated if anyone knows of a resource etc.
It used to be that way back in the Ultra days, but it caused a lot of issues with communication errors. Since the II Cliff wanted Axe EDIT to only be a remote control to the hardware. It won't work without the hardware.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Unfortunately no. The way it works is that it interfaces to the device itself, then reads all the block definitions from the hardware. It used to be that both Axe-Edit and Axe-Fx needed to be updated in tandem for them to stay in sync but now for example new models can be added without updating Axe-Edit as well. The compromise is that you cannot use Axe-Edit offline in any situation.

Most parameters are simply a range from 0-10 with plenty of granularity. Obviously there's a lot of params with millisecond values and whatnot too. Are there some specific params you are interested in? Why do you feel you need to document them?

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
It used to be that way back in the Ultra days, but it caused a lot of issues with communication errors. Since the II Cliff wanted Axe EDIT to only be a remote control to the hardware. It won't work without the hardware.
Dang. I'm gonna bug them again asking to update, not that'd I'd expect it to happen.

Unfortunately no. The way it works is that it interfaces to the device itself, then reads all the block definitions from the hardware. It used to be that both Axe-Edit and Axe-Fx needed to be updated in tandem for them to stay in sync but now for example new models can be added without updating Axe-Edit as well. The compromise is that you cannot use Axe-Edit offline in any situation.

Most parameters are simply a range from 0-10 with plenty of granularity. Obviously there's a lot of params with millisecond values and whatnot too. Are there some specific params you are interested in? Why do you feel you need to document them?
- Thanks. I need an overview of everything to see if it's capabale. Some stuff I've already found out like max loop times etc, but for example what's the Q range on the parametric bands, what's the max delay time per side in the stereo block , what cpu power does each block take kinda of thing etc
.- I'd also need a complete list of all midi capability and parameters and ranges etc for interfacing with other gear. etc. Just ton's of stuff for situations I might use it in. I can plan for months sometimes before buying things and when I get the item I get to work on it. I did happen to find some midi info though finally.

- I know I can get answers (eventually) but I just didn't wanna have to bug everyone for the next year while I do it. I know I'd likely start getting some flack for it.
- When I see things like basic signal chains in that example deadpool gave I know that I can't have an fm3 instantly for an overall unit, only for limited things. That's good to know and I didn't even have to buy it to find out. Like with the ISP Theta Pro for example I saw in the manual it don't have even a second delay per side like my Replifex and is extremely limited in comparison overall so it's a no go as an all in one for me too. That type stuff would all be elminated if I could just mess with it even offline if it don't work just so I could see the parameters at least would be a huge help.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
My guy you have been on the fence for years. Just buy a used one and rock out.

Half the tables you’re asking for have been made (for previous firmwares) by regular users who put the time in.

Buying used means at most you lose a couple hundred bucks - consider that a rental fee. But seriously, just buy one.

Latest posts