Official Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I'm gonna dive in once I know my guitars for EP2 are done (I dunno if I have a timing issue on a track or not... but the bass is good :lol:).

Semetery likes this.
  2. Semetery

Semetery SS.org Regular

Good luck! When you do get to it, I'd like to hear what you think.

It took me months to get the right setup. I nearly sold it at a point or two, but ended up sticking with it thankfully. I couldn't get what I wanted my sound to be with a cab and the power amps I'd been trying but whatever he's done has made it probably pointless for me to buy anymore amps anytime soon. I have been looking a few up but now I honestly can't find a great reason (not that one needs one, eh?) to spend 3 or 4k on them when I can get so much from the Axe. I never thought I'd feel this way.

budda likes this.
  3. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

As soon as I struck my first chord through my FM3 I was absolutely sold. Feels great, the treble and bass response is amazing and.. The best part about it - MID GAIN TONES ARE AMAZING.

I almost never use anything but the Morgan AC20 Deluxe model anymore as it's just so fucking good.. And I don't usually play anything with less gain than a 5150 :lol:

The SG King and budda like this.
  4. budda

Oh yeah, you can lose days with the AC20. Iirc thats my clean tone with my strat preset.

Semetery likes this.
  5. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

My $0.02 for the latest Cygnus

The Recto1 is fantastic. The AC30TB really nails it too IMHO. The Brit 800 seems more "raw" (harsh and clanky are words I could use too), but it still sounds good and still is what I use most (with an SD1 for boooooost). I could never get the Ares C+ quite right, nor can I get it with Cygnus, but it certainly gives the right vibe and still is fun to blast out MOP riffs.

Haven't spent much time with anything else. I think the Archon sim maybe sound better than the real amp. 5153 Red is instant Gojira and I love it.

The SG King and Semetery like this.
  6. Semetery

Semetery SS.org Regular

I freaking love the AC20 on it. I have never tried one in real life but dammmn. It's spiritual to play it. I've come to feel the same about the Uber, which sounds MONSTROUS. The CCV is so sharp and rich. Probably my three favorites I've never tried outside of the Axe versions.

I agree. I haven't messed with the Recto much but on all the rest. I didn't love the Archon combo I had (!shields up!) which I'm sure is probably different, but I dig it a lot on the Axe being able to mold the sound more I guess. I did like the combo better with an external cab more than the 75 it came with (which I also do like as a speaker). The 5153 in the latest update is just incredible. I've stopped playing the Stealth 100 and have just been messing with the Axe model.

For Metallica, I've been using and tweaking on 'Tallica 1' from the Axe Exchange. I wasn't getting anywhere on my own with the amp. Sounds pretty damn good into an EVH 4x12 and with headphones I think.

cardinal likes this.
  7. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

Yeah, the current version of Cygnus is extremely good!

At the beginning it was a bit over the top.
    My sound settings have been getting closer and closer to neutral with each successive version and I've never been so happy with the sound.

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, that's been my experience with it. I had to somewhat wildly alter some settings with the first beta I loaded, and over the various others my settings have come back to about where they were with Ares.

9. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

My III will be arriving tomorrow. I originally wanted to wait until they shipped with Cygnus, but jumped on the email when I got it. Cliff was just posting about some breakthrough he coded so Cygnus may be in beta a bit longer.

Still, I am pumped for my III.

budda likes this.
  10. budda

They sold out so good call.

Read the manual.

11. The Thing Upstairs

The Thing Upstairs SS.org Regular

This x 2

I just got my III. It's my second. I don't remember the first sounding this good. A/B ing with my Roadster and it's so hard to tell which is which. The firmware just keeps getting better - I don't think it is better because it's a mk2 etc.
    I'm also spending a lot more time experimenting with it and really enjoying it. I'd forgotten what a creative tool it is. I'm also really getting into scene controllers at the mo

As well as reading the manual - checkout yek's block guide and Leon Todd's videos - there's a ton of fantastic info in both

budda likes this.
  12. budda

Yek's amp guide too.

13. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Wait what? What is EP1?

budda likes this.
  14. budda

The link in my sig I hope :lol:

15. broangiel

broangiel SS.org Regular

16. budda

It wasnt me :lol:

cardinal likes this.
  17. budda

16.01, two new reverbs amongst other things. Aw yeah.

AboutBlank and Kyle Jordan like this.