Official Axe-Fx Q&A thread!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JohnIce, Apr 16, 2010.

1. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I still need to buy those. Haven't decided between the HH1 pack or the HH2 though.

Decapitated likes this.
  2. Reignerrr

Reignerrr SS.org Regular

it is a good idea to buy an axe fx ultra?? is better than the sound of apmsims and good ir's?

is the only i can afford in my country

3. Decapitated

Decapitated Loser

Of course. It's still a great unit, in my opinion.

Elric likes this.
  4. Thrashman

Thrashman Got Groove?

So I'm about to put together a pedalboard rig centered around my AX8 (at last!) and need some tips and insight!

So my rig will consist of my AX8, 2 expression pedals, a Mooer Baby Bomb and three separate drive pedals (I know.. :lol: ), and was wondering if I could put the drive pedals through the FX Loop block in the AX8? That way I could program patches that kick them in and out without tapdancing.

Though I assume I can't put them all in separate loops, so because they'd still be sitting together I would still have to turn them on and off separately depending on which one I want to use when the loop block is activated? but can still control when they're in the chain through toggling the blocks, right? Or can I do this in a different way to achieve what I want?

5. Ðupui§

Ðupui§ Member

+ 1 member here
    Seriously, I really like the sound of my ultra through the atomic cab (haven't tried any other Axe-fx). Is there a signifiant (I mean HUGE) difference in term of sound quality?? Or it's more of an improvement on other aspects of the Axe-Fx... Just wondering if it's worth upgrading :shrug:

6. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

It depends. The Utlra can probably still satisfy you if you play super modern metal with no dynamics, djent stuff, super proecessed tones etc.
    ie, you can get album tones fine with an ultra. But live vintagey rock tones ? Much harder. BEcause if sounding like Periphery is easy with an Ultra, doing a decent Angus Young impersonation is MUCH harder...
    Basically, the less processed a tone you want, the better you'll be served by upgrading.

Ðupui§ likes this.
  7. LeviathanKiller

The Axe-Fx III really opened things up. The default frequency spectrum goes higher and lower (or is at least more present at these outer edges) than it was before (less compressed now). You can still get uber-tight uber-gain tones but for everything else, it sounds better now imo. Just a lot more natural, wider, bigger sound that is better representative of an actual amp. Previous gen Axe-Fx units sound great too, they just required more work for these types of tones and it didn't always end up natural feeling.

Ðupui§ likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

And i presume there is no way to mimic this on older units?

9. LeviathanKiller

Not exactly. If you bump those frequencies up it's just artificially added. More of a "tacked on" sound and feel instead of being as dynamic as the natural amp EQ. If you were to try to replicate using the amp EQ, the amps are going to respond in weird ways at those levels like they should so it wouldn't sound right that way either. It's better to have more to work with in the beginning and whittle down than it is to try to add on correctly later. GEQ/PEQ can increase the loudness of EQ zones but you can't ever really add what wasn't there to begin with.

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Funny how the axe FX II was ‘basically real’ sounding and there really wasn’t room for improvement or criticism.

Now the III is out, it’s even more realer, and we’re allowed to talk about the Axe II’s inadequacies.

Maybe after 2 years of firmware updates the III will be even more realistically realer, and we’ll all talk about how artificial those early Axe III firmware updates were in comparison.

11. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yep, that pretty much sums up Fractal internet talk for the last 11 years, lol. Every firmware gets more realer.... while each old unit that used to be awesome is suddenly crappy....

c7spheres and Elric like this.
  12. LeviathanKiller

I didn't expect the III to sound better than my II XL+. I wanted it for the features, screen, and continued support. I just happened to be pleasantly surprised.

I doubt there's a discernable difference in a mix but it is nicer playing solo imo.

AxeHappy likes this.
  13. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, basically when I fired my axe III for the first time I was "Oh, didn't realise *that* was missing". That said, as I was saying above it's only useful if you want raw unproduced tones. The true benefit of the axe III is it's I/O system which makes recording and production a breeze. (I'm using it for *all* the mixing effects too, and will give a shot at using it for the mastering soon©.)

14. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I didn’t mean my post to be a dig at you, so apologies if it came off that way.

It’s just that the hype train has no brakes and I had to comment about how your comment is fine now, but before the III came out, you’d end up with an argument on your hands, by saying something else is more realistic or better sounding than an Axe II.

Elric and LeviathanKiller like this.
  15. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If you want to move where your outboard dirt is in the chain, the fx loop sounds like your best bet. I dont think my fx8 has a loop block :lol:. Arrange the layout so that you can hit your dirt pedals as needed.

16. LeviathanKiller

No, you're fine. I understand because there is a lot of hype like that where the newest iteration is somehow automatically better.

The same applies to video game graphics.
    Each year new ones come out that are "sooooo realistic". But then we get next year's releases.

It takes something better to realize that what you had before was lacking in some way. I believe that not realizing there's something lacking while it's still the current gen is a very good sign. The Axe-Fx III is better technically but that doesn't mean the Axe II isn't good enough or even the Ultra and Standard models. Knowing what exists now changes your perception of the previous models and what you decide you're willing to settle with in regards to quality.

17. Decapitated

Decapitated Loser

I had very low expectations when I bought my III. I fully expected I would keep my Kemper and return the Axe Fx. I hate the whole "ok, NOW it sounds better after firmware xxx...that's what was missing." The III just really works for me. I fell down the profile rabbit hole and it didn't work for me. Now I am in the IR rabbit hole but feel I have a much better core tone and can build upon that more easily. Just my experience so far.

SloeGin and lewis like this.
  18. Elric

Elric SS.org Regular

Yes, I finally sold my Ultra this year after getting a III. I have a II also so I did not want three units lying around but I was getting ready to call bullsh*t on some of the hype too (as per above not directed at anyone in particular).

The Ultra can rock with full authority. It has always been a fair amount of tweaking for that generation and the IR capabilities are more limited if you run direct so it is much more work, especially if you are comparing it directly to a newer generation box but it is killer if you are not clueless... go back and read some of the first posts in this mega-thread the Gen 1 units were current back then many folks were blown away and were not noobs.

I was running it as a preamp with power amp emulation using an SS power amp and cab and it is really great in that config. The cab and speaker type improvements on the II did not come into play because I had a real cab.

And speaking of the II is just straight up ridiculous, still, of course.

I bought the III as a luxury because I could easily afford it and I wanted to enjoy their latest/greatest tech, but either of those older units can still bring the boutique tube quality tones... they were definitely pulling their weight.

There are other improvements that do merit the costs of upgrades and there are some sonic differences but this attitude a lot of FAS fanboys cop with each new generation where they act like the previous unit is just dead to them after they get the new shiny box is kind of a joke.

A lot of these high tech rigs, there is a certain expertise in getting them to really deliver and I think each generation removes more and more of the barriers there... that's where I am seeing the progress... like on the III the 4 IR mixing cab block is so awesome for direct sounds and you can have more than one of them. It is really easy to use too.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  19. Cheap

Cheap .....ite

I was worried about getting a clearance/b-stock IIXL+ after the III came out and especially after switching back and forth from Fractal, Kemper, Amp, Fractal, etc, but I've found that the II has been more than enough horsepower for me for a long while and I don't think I can outgrow its capabilities. It sounds phenomenal and is the 'best rig of my life' on good days and outright garbage on bad days--just like everything else--and I'm convinced it's at a point where my hands control the quality and that's a monstrous victory in my book for the technology.

I've been wrong before and I'm as much of a gearwhore as anyone else here, but I think what Fractal has been doing for a few years now is making a product that can only be classified as sounding 'bad' with an inexperienced user. In 2018 every option can rule as long as you connect with it and it gets out of your way when you create.

Elric, lewis and LeviathanKiller like this.
  20. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the thing thats the most understated thing Ive noticed is, with brand new guitar strings, the Axe's and Kemper sound unreal. Like stunningly amazing.

The second guitar strings are a few weeks old, the kemper starts to sound shit and the axe stays sounding marginally consistent with that snappiness somewhat intact. The kemper turns to horrible fuzz city on old strings.

If I were rich, I would restring once-twice a week on home practice, or before every show on tour.