Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
The advantage of the Matrix is it doesn't deaden the feel and it lets the Axe FX do the power amp modelling, and very well I might add. It packs a serious punch which lets all of that dynamic come through in all its glory. Point being it doesn't sound 'flat' like running a boss multi fx into a flat amp used to, it sounds alive and like its coloured because it doesn't impede the Axe FX's modelling if that makes sense.

I'm very happy with my very cheap, very light, very loud, very compact Matrix amp ;)

athawulf

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do u think I will get better sound from a vht 2/50/2 or r my mesas kt88s/kt66 better

If you're worried about missing the KT88s, grab the VHT 2/90/2 instead of the 50. I've been considering ditching my vht for the matrix but mainly because it would take a few dozen pounds off my back.

Phrygian

Lefty
Reaction score
I actually prefer my matrix over the VHT 2/50/2. Yes, really. I may be really biased because of the wwight, but it sounds ridiculously good!

cgraci

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Shit I bought 2/50/2 . I couldn't fin the 2/90/2 and I didn't know anything about the matrix! I hope I'm not disappointed. I think using my triple sucks. It's way to powerful and the sound actually breaks when I use cleans. I just don't want my sound to be fuzzy. I HATE FUZZ!!!!!

cgraci

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Quick question though. Can someone explain how to use the eq. I have the mids lowered. I think they call it scooped. The mids go into the negative area. If I raise them then it will sound very flat bc I raised the mids everywhere else. Can you guys tell me how you run your eqs . R u doing the same . I'm trying to get that veil of maya tone.

Off_The_Heezay

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I dunno if this has been answered, and I'm nowhere near buying one anyway, but I'm intrigued to know...

Obviously, the AxeFx can be used in 4CM. And I know that a lot of people run two amp sims blended together. So... Is it possible to do both? Essentially use the preamp of your actual amp blended with one of the AxeFx amp sims?

Kryaxysa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey guys. Lately I've been trying to see what all I can really do with the axe-fx, instead of just using it for high gain applications. So I've been trying to work on more medium gain tones. I'm having trouble trying to mimic a certain sound: (listen to the guitar at the beginning)

I've tried a couple different things, with the closest being the orange RV50 model and the AC30 top boost model, but I can't exactly get it to sound quite as full and crunchy without having too high of gain, then I'm sort of losing the clarity and the whole point of doing this. Does any one have any recommendations? I'm using a Carvin DC727 with stock pickups.

gamber

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey there, Axe fxs are awesome arent they? Well heres an idea, use two amps one totally clean and another a tad distorted. Blend them accordingly, also use reverb sparingly. As for the over all tone your going for warmth. Keep your bass around 12 oclock for starters and modify it accordingly. Obviously you want a good helping of mids; for the clarity. Treble to taste. Also lower your sag to where the P.A is almost off

Kryaxysa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey there, Axe fxs are awesome arent they? Well heres an idea, use two amps one totally clean and another a tad distorted. Blend them accordingly, also use reverb sparingly. As for the over all tone your going for warmth. Keep your bass around 12 oclock for starters and modify it accordingly. Obviously you want a good helping of mids; for the clarity. Treble to taste. Also lower your sag to where the P.A is almost off

I tried mixing the twin reverb model with the RV50, and Im getting closer. I'm just not sure how to replicate the warmth very well, mine sounds more brittle.

gamber

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
try different amps and cabs, specifically the german 4x12. that tends to be my go to cab. If you could post some sound clips i can better help you dude

theo

Got Hype(machine)?
Reaction score
Quick question though. Can someone explain how to use the eq. I have the mids lowered. I think they call it scooped. The mids go into the negative area. If I raise them then it will sound very flat bc I raised the mids everywhere else. Can you guys tell me how you run your eqs . R u doing the same . I'm trying to get that veil of maya tone.

For veil of mayas tone I wouldn't be scooping your mids anywhere. I've you've raised them in other areas I'd probably leave the EQ flat.

Kryaxysa

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
https://soundcloud.com/axiong427/mid

Not 100%, but pretty close. I used the Plexi sim with a T75 and Recto2 mixed. Turn the gain on the amp way down and crank the master. Also split your coils if you can, that's really the key part.

Damn, I thought I got close but this is much closer. I ended up settling for the RV50 sim with pretty low gain and cranked master, with the twin reverb mixed in. I didn't actually expect someone to get this close, this is awesome. What model axe-fx is this on? I didn't split my coils because I know the actual guitar has a fender tornado with humbuckers, but I could definitely see how I could cheat and split my coils. Is there any way you could be slightly more specific on your settings? specifically the cab settings you have. Did you use any mics? I can figure out the EQ on my own, since that would be a lot more specific to my guitar.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Cutting mids doesn't mean you have no mids just means you have less, trust your ears.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Damn, I thought I got close but this is much closer. I ended up settling for the RV50 sim with pretty low gain and cranked master, with the twin reverb mixed in. I didn't actually expect someone to get this close, this is awesome. What model axe-fx is this on? I didn't split my coils because I know the actual guitar has a fender tornado with humbuckers, but I could definitely see how I could cheat and split my coils. Is there any way you could be slightly more specific on your settings? specifically the cab settings you have. Did you use any mics? I can figure out the EQ on my own, since that would be a lot more specific to my guitar.
Idk, it has a really single coily sound to it. Maybe it's P90s on the original recording?

I'm using an Ultra. I had mics in it originally, but I took off the mic sims. I'm sure if I messed around with the mics more, I could have gotten close but it was literally a 5 minute dial in. Chain signal was amp > cab/cab > out. I had the highs/presence cranked as well as the bass/depth.