Official Agile Sentinel Thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by playstopause, Mar 23, 2009.

1. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

*** UPDATE! *** July 26th 2010

Our dear friend Randy, wich clearly wins at life, got the following message from Kurt @ Rondo :

July 8th update : Thanks to Emperof and Randy, Kurt has announced he wishes to come up with a 7-strings Strat prototype for this coming fall.
    If you who would be interested in purchasing one, please add your name in this thread and I'll update the name list as weeks go by.

Original 1st post :

Here’s a resume of the results. Again, this is ONLY to give Kurt an idea of what we would like and to give him hints of a direction for him to choose. While a majority of people want the « classic » Strat, it’s easy to see there’s al lot of people that would like a « modern » Strat as well (that would be in between 1/3 and 1/2 the people who voted, representing more or less 35 persons). I doubt that those who want a classic / vintage will buy a modern and vice-versa. So to me, it sounds like 2 versions of a 7-strings Strat would be a win. Let’s see what Kurt will come up with.

So there you go (it’s nothing you don’t know if you’ve followed the poll’s results in both threads) :

Body wood :

--- First choice : Alder, followed very closely by Ash.

Color :

--- First choice : Vintage White, followed by natural.

Bridge :

--- First choice : Wilkinson or Hipshot 2 point tremolo by 2/3 of the votes. The other 1/3 would prefer a Floyd.

Fretboard :

--- First choice : Maple + black dots by a large margin.

Pickup Configuration :

--- Out of the people that do not wish for an S-S-S config, wich is probably going to be the main pickup configuration, 50 out of 96 people would prefer a "Swimming Pool" option so they can do any pickups configuration they would like. If this is not an option Kurt would like to go with, the most popular configuration beside S-S-S is H-S-H, followed closely by H-S-S.

Pickguard :

--- White and Black are the 2 options voted the most.

Headstock orientation :

--- First choice : "Normal", by 2/3 of the votes. The other 1/3 would prefer a reverse headstock (still a big 43 votes).

Fretwire size :

--- The vast majority prefers Extra-jumbo and Jumbo frets, altough we all know "extra-jumbo" from Rondo aren't exactly extra-jumbo size.

Neck profile :

Most people would prefer a “thin” neck profile over a “standard” one.

Neck radius :

A little bit more people would prefer a + - 12-13’’ radius. One third of the voters would like a 16’’ neck radius so it matches a Floyd (more or less matching the number of votes for a Floyd bridge).

Logo :

A little more people would prefer something different than the regualr black script logo, but someone would have to do a mockup of it (at Kurt’s request). Otherwise, it will stay the same.

There you have it. Feel free to comment! :)

possumkiller, BrainArt, Jason and 7 others like this.
  2. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Cool, wake me when Kurt decides to do something about it :lol:

3. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Hhhm, I don't think it's quite fair to say that something "won" for just a couple of votes. In addition of that, we're talking about the bodywood and bridge, very important things if you ask me :shrug:

Let's see how this goes once Kurt says his thoughts. Sadly, I won't buy a vintage white alder strat :(

4. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

It's Kurt who asked for a poll in the first place, so you might wake up earlier than you think. :fawk:

Again, I appreciate your comments regarding very important details. I've now changed "win" by "first choice". Hope this is going to be ok with you... Otherwise, please send me a carefully-chosen list of words to use next time I do a poll. Thx.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

My credit card is standing by as long as it's not YASS (Yet Another Super Strat) :lol: (and as long as Rob doesn't come up with another guitar I must have :rofl:)

6. Emperoff

Sorry, I didn't meant to correct you by any means. What I was trying to say is that a couple of votes shouldn't decide how the guitar will be.

It's always easier to take things in the worst way, I guess.. Maybe I have to get better on my english in order to express myself better and avoid sarcastic replies like yours... :scratch:

playstopause likes this.
  7. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

It's all good mate, no harsh feelings. :)
    I'm not english-speaking too, so sometimes I might not come up with the right words.

Emperoff likes this.
  8. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Aww, no big neck? I really really like the huge neck on my early-run Septor 727... I think it'd be perfect for a Strat feel.

9. Emperoff

Don't worry then :wub:
    +1, I really like the rounder profile of my Agile and I think it'd suit this guitar really good.

I'm thinking that being that alder and ash are so close in votes, we could ask Kurt to make 2 models. 50-50 ratio means that 50% of people will be unhappy with the final result...

So what about an alder vintage white strat and a natural ash one? I think everyone could be happy that way. :)

10. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

^

Good idea.

I've sent a link for Kurt to look at this thread (and the others). He's fully aware these are the "tendencies" only of what people would like. Let's wait and see what he wants to come up with.

11. raspy772

raspy772 Member

idk if i'm happy with the poll results, but i'll wait to see what kurt says

12. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

Rough Concept:

[​IMG]

Also, my idea for the Agile logo is to use the same logo (if you look closely, it's actually really neat) but to do it in the vintage gold with black outline; much like the Fender does.

Does this badboy have a name yet? I'd really be interested in hearing some ideas.

As an aside, a "Pro" model would be kinda neat (either this, or even the 6'r) that'd have the reversed headstock (PSP :wub:) and scalloping a la Malmsteen.

playstopause likes this.
  13. Scali

Scali Banned

Big neck == big tone.
    I think it's an important ingredient in the recipe of classic guitar designs like the Strat, Tele, Les Paul and such.

14. Panterica

Panterica Banned

^

BS. urban myth, the more wood = more tone thing
    seen tiny ass necks / bodies that sound killer, Parker for instance

15. Scali

Scali Banned

I'm not saying thin necks sound bad. Just that they don't sound the same.
    If you want Strat tone, you need a Strat neck.

16. Randy

Not to get to far off topic, but I think rigidity and density are a defining factor. The example of the Parker is moot, because the materials they use provide tons of both, while still maintaining a thin profile and light weight. With a more traditional neck/tone material, like maple, there's some truth to the "bigger is better" argument when you're comparing it to a less substantial chunk of the same wood. :2c:

/offtopic

17. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

Altough the headstock is a little big to my taste...

Win!!!

... And + 1 000 000 for the reverse headstock. :wub:

18. Randy

Yeah.. you'd be surprised at how big it was when I started! *lol*

I tried a few different configurations to minimize the size of the headstock, but few of them maintained the original "lines" that the rondo had. The "direct string draw" adds to the overall size disproportionately as you add more string, unfortunately.

If anybody has the ability to photoshop it, or even better, AutoCAD it a little smaller but maintain all of that stuff then I'd be more than happy to add that to the design.

I don't know if darren's planning on undertaking the final renderings of this or not, but barring that, I'd be more than happy to lend further assistance. Once some more of the specifics of this are finalized, I'll work on a more polished version.

Also... NAME...?!

19. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

The Interstrator.

:lol:

20. 7deadlysins666

7deadlysins666 kvlt

YES!!! I would buy 2!! One to put a hum in, and the other to have SSS. I've Always wanted a scalloped board, but there is Nowhere around that has a guitar with one to try out, and Reversed headstock FTMFW!!! :bowdown: