OF ALL The Custom Shops...

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Politics of Ecstasy, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy SS.org Regular

I have been introduced to the world of the artisan custom guitars from this site. One topic recently posted was about GOC guitars, and another about Suhr, Strandberg, Oni, and many others.

The ones that stood out to me the most were Oni, Suhr, and Strandberg.

Please start kind of like a makeshift wiki of any and all of the TOP custom luthiers out there because while I think the Majesty rules and the Universe is my absolute favorite, I am highly considering one of these other customs instead...especially if someone makes carbon graphite like I read

So Of all the custom shops, which do you think are the top 5 and why?

The only thing Ill throw in to start is the Oni Essi 7/8....i think its pretty nice. What do you like?

Attached Files:

2. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

Similar topic was brought up a few months ago: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/most-good-custom-builders-outside-the-us.337720/

Going to a forum and asking "who's the best custom shop" is not the right way to go about getting the guitar you want. Each custom shop will have things they will and won't do. For example, 10 people may reply that Kiesel is the best, but they don't build 7s with floyds and if that's absolutely necessary in your custom guitar, they aren't the best option for you. You listed three very different kinds of guitar builders as your preferred option. Suhrs are going to give you something more conservative and traditional in shape, while strandberg is an ergonomic body, headless, and often multi-scale w/ endur-neck. Onis are a whole different beast all together...you may want to ask yourself what do you need from a guitar to be satisfied before you ask others what their favorites happen to be.

When it came time to place an order for my MBC Regius, i didn't just jump on board because someone on this forum said "they're the best". I researched the specs, read reviews, talked to musicians after shows about their mayones (thanks Sylvain from Soilwork!), and called their USA rep with plenty of questions before settling on a personalized guitar. I went into the process knowing i wanted something of a super-strat shape with a standard scale and could pick all of the woods/finishes. From there i got the electronics set up with a piezo bridge, graphite reinforcement in the neck, stainless steel frets, and a few other tweaks. Mayones was able to check all the boxes for me and i've been extremely happy with the results.

You're best just reading about each individual's experience in their NGD posts and going from there. If it sounds like something you're willing to invest the time and money into, reach out with a private message for more details. Knowing what you want and need from the guitar will go a long way in narrowing down your choices.

3. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Really depends on what you want and what you'd consider custom. There are lots of shops building great guitars.

The only generally applicable idea is to be careful placing the order. If going through a dealer, pick one that is responsive and has a track record. If going with a small shop or luthier, start small: get them to do some fretwork for you and maybe some mods or repairs to guitars you already own. Test the quality of their work, their responsiveness, and their reliability.

Masoo2 and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  4. narad

narad Owned a Zune

My Oni is better than my Suhr or Strandberg, but it's likely that if you think the Majesty is the greatest guitar out there then my opinion probably shouldn't be much use to you.

5. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

in all the world, you had to walk into this one

GXPO and cip 123 like this.
  6. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

I've owned guitars from Blackmachine, Skervesen, Aristides, ESP, Mayones, PRS, Strandberg + several others.

What I can tell you with conviction, is that your current preference and interests define what's best for you.
    You've fallen in love with Music Man, and that's ok. That might change. I know I thought for a longest time that my Washburn WM526 was the best guitar in the world, but I really gravitate towards something else these days.

Now I have a GAS for a Les Paul, and love the warm feeling they give me, which is a mixture of thoughts I associate with LPs, and of course the playability, sonics etc. But 5 years ago I had ZERO interest in LPs.

Define whatever is current and interesting to you, and browse all luthiers' sites. Then start to research QC and opinions, once you find something that speaks to you.
    Anyway, my current advice is to just buy production guitars, haha! Compared to customs, they're cheap and overall, all-around QC is ridiculously good in 2019. And you can move them forward when you want to!

7. beyondcosmos

beyondcosmos SS.org Regular

^I have to agree with Velokki, try a bunch of production stuff out first. Even if I had the funds for a brand new custom Mayones, Jackson, Daemoness or whatever, I think I'd spend at least a couple years trying out different production guitars first. Whether it's from friends, going to Guitar Expos, or even buying/returning or reselling, it's gonna take a while but it's worth it. It's actually alarming how many times I've seen absolutely beautiful and expensively optioned custom guitars put up for sale on here or Reverb/ebay/FB market because the owners "just can't gel with it" or are suddenly "GAS'ing for something else".

8. Politics of Ecstasy

Thanks for this honesty. I did reference the UV and Majesty to let you know what my ideals in terms of productions are to base that towards references, but I also wanted to know what others thought were some of the better/best customs. There is no best, as I and many others agreed, but I wanted to hear other experience in a gathered collection, rather than go through hundreds of pages of NGD not really knowing what to expect from titles? I’m not familiar with brands, which is why It was a basic guide but thank you.

Points noted, thank you

That isnt true, and your more intelligent than that to make such a presumption. In fact, what I wanted to know is exactly that: if given the choice, would you go for Oni , Suhr, or Strandberg. So thank you.

You have a lot of points on the spectrum here. The majesty is just my IMO the best featured and well made production 7, but by no means is it my favorite. I dont know where everyone got that idea from ??? The universe is my favorite 7 string, and I am an Ibanez fan to the bone....I’m just really impressed with eBMM thats all, but thanks for the reply.
    If that’s the case, then a used majesty is where I should start then? I mean as I said, while the UV is my favorite (please note that all lol) I think EBMM is killing it with their production line....that is, i mean, without having to spec a really well made luthier artisan custom build, you can get the same thing off the rack, THATS ALL my GAS consists of, but I am open obviously to other things

One thing that the other thread pimp noted was your starting at $3-5k for a custom, and EBMM has pretty much all features you can customize (hardware wise) with great quality, floating trem, etc....so I mean, really I was looking for YOUR guys top 3-5 choices, but If you just want to offer your ONE favorite recommendation, thats ok too..

This was more of an opener for my newfound discovery, not a comparison thread so that someone can help me build a custom....I’m just an interested consumer, if that’s all right to window shop?

mastapimp likes this.
  9. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Step 1 is knowing what you truly love to have in a guitar. Be thorough, play a metric fuckton of guitars without preconceiving anything, from hollow body boxes to mega-shred types, all kinds of materials, pickups, bridge configurations, etc. - if you can get your hands on it, play it and see what you like and dislike about it. Only proper experience with knowing yourself and your tastes when it comes to tone, feel and functionality will take you as close as possible to choosing the right tool for the job.

budda and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  10. lurè

lurè Can't buy skill so I buy gear

Do you really need a custom shop?

If your favourite guitars are the Majesty and the Universe, there are thousands of instrument with similar specs.
    Try them, see what you like and what you don't and then you can consider a custom.

This is not because a custom instrument should be "deserved" or something; it's just that most of the time people are going custom shop without knowing what they want and after a couple of months it's another listing on Reverb.

budda and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  11. Politics of Ecstasy

Guys I totally get that....its just the “brand names” that I am looking for. As in Luthiers with websites or facebooks pages that offer looks into their builds

In other words, WHO DO YOU LIKE?

Do I need a custom? No...does anyone really at this point with all the models out...absolutely not....but I’m just interested in checking luthiers works...like I said: Interested party.... if thats alright???

12. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

I’ll case my vote for Daemoness Guitars. They tick all my boxes for what I want out of a custom shop, except the wait times, but I can live with that given what you get at the end.

Unparalleled build quality (in my limited experience)
    Uncompromisingly metal. (A good thing for me.)

I don’t really know what else to say, they’re just my favorite custom shop, right behind the ESP CS, but that doesn’t really count here.

My Daemoness LP is the best guitar I’ve ever played.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  13. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Who do I like? Quite a bunch of brands, fortunately. To name but a few in the whole "made to order" category:
    - Aristides
    - Padalka
    - Oni
    - Waghorn
    - Equilibrium
    - Skervesen
    - Blackat
    Honorable mention to two companies that aren't building any more, namely Jaden Rose and KxK. A shame as they made some fantastic guitars.

14. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I have an Oni being made. Dan is an absolute pleasure to work with. Very easy going, and will guide you in the right direction if you're open to it. The Essi 7 I played was an astoundingly good guitar. A stand out in a room full of guitars 2-3x more expensive. I also absolutely adore my Suhr. The setup, fit/finish, quality, and tone are unreal. If you like a guitar looks and feels like a muscle car and plays like a formula racer, you'll probably really like Suhr. I like the look of classic guitars and the super modern. So both really suit me. I haven't spent as much time on an Oni as a Suhr. But I have a sneaking suspicion that my number one is going to change after I take delivery. The Oni wants to go FAST. ALL the time. Its intimidatingly effortless to play.

15. Politics of Ecstasy

Thank you, that’s exactly what I was looking for
    To be more specific, I was looking for models you wanted even

For example, the Essi 7/8 Looks incredible and it has some incredible build qualities. It has unique fret access and i hear the build quality is as good as you can get (Max Parker level) so that was what really intrigued me into looking more so if you guys have specific models you like id even like to know that as well

Suhr, Aristides, Oni, Skeveresen, Deamoness and MAyones, are some of the most interesting. There was one guitar I cant seem to find that had the most amazing colored woods, now tonally I dont know if they worked well, but it was like a dark dark neck, a light fretboard, and like a triple or quintuple layer wood.....it then had some blue accents on the headstock or something, i wish i could find that NGD, but also Ive seen stuff by “Anderson” that was nice, and so this is more or less what i was asking, so if you dont mind, even if someone else has mentioned it, vote for your favorites

I dont NEED a custom, but I’d like to know who to keep my eye on, and I’m always interested in beautiful examples of luthiery

Thaeon likes this.
  16. Thaeon

At this point in my life, I'm also interested in ethical building and pricing of instruments. How do they source their timber? How well do they pay their workforce? Are they ethically pricing their work?

17. Thaeon

Tom Anderson and John Suhr are friends. They share ideas with each other a fair amount. But their guitars couldn't be more different. Tom makes a very modern guitar. John is trying to make an old design as perfect as possible.

18. beyondcosmos

I also am a huge Ibanez fan who likes the Majesty 7 and JP-13 7 models, so I can empathize with you on wanting things in a custom that are on certain EBMM models but not on Ibanez models and vice versa. There are also a ton of guitars from manufacturers that typically have very different specs from Ibanez and EBMM for their production models, but occasionally have one that is extremely close to a prestige Ibanez or EBMM JP or Majesty. The first one I can think of is Dean making the RC7... the USA RC7 models are, in my opinion, absolutely incredible and if the one that sold from Axe Palace with an aqua flame maple top ever resurfaces for sale, I might have to sell my car to buy that thing (kidding but you get the idea).

Beyond doing online research on the specs of production model guitars and buying then selling/trading guitars you are interested in, I hate to say it but going to Guitar Center to try out new or used instruments is an excellent way to simply just try out a guitar without buying it. One GC near me is where I have been able to play guitars from Mayones, Jackson's custom shop, Kiesel (both the old Carvins and modern Kiesels), Strictly 7, Suhr, and a few others. It's not the best because you can't obviously take it home to your rig and dial in tones but it's honestly a decent way to get a feel of different instruments for free (for the record, I am not employed by GC or paid to say this stuff).

As for what brands I'd recommend, I haven't ever owned a custom or extremely high end production model guitar, but as for what I've played on that end of things, I think Mayones, Jackson's custom shop, Suhr were the ones that really blew my mind for the quality, playability, and tone. And I know we all know the Strictly 7 saga so I won't dive into it but I do have to tip my hat to the particular one I played, it was actually really freaking good.

19. beyondcosmos

Beyond the lack of quality compared to Japanese, American, European, Australian, etc. guitars, I no longer care for Indonesian made guitars specifically for this reason. And of course Chinese made guitars.

Politics of Ecstasy and Thaeon like this.
  20. Thaeon

I've gone as far as not being willing to support brands build budget lines in those countries for that reason. There's a really interesting video that Roukangas made on the subject. Its on youtube.