Od and eq

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by dolecekj, Dec 11, 2016.

1. dolecekj

dolecekj SS.org Regular

I have a blackstar fly. I want to add an od pedal to get to the gain territory for metal....what are your recommendations? Also looking to get an eq pedal...does fish and chips do the job? ids the behringer eq pedal decent? or should i just suck it up and get an mxr?q

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

What's your budget?

3. dolecekj

dolecekj SS.org Regular

Under $100 per pedal

4. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

Fish & chips sound quality is every bit as good as the MXR IMO. Obviously the MXR is built with higher quality materials and will hold up to abuse better, but I actually prefer the Fish & Chips to the MXR 6 band because you get an extra band of EQ and have a level control. I have my EQ in the loop, so depending on how you set the MXR 6 band you may have an unavoidable volume boost/drop when it is engaged. This could be a desirable trait but having the level control is a big plus IMO. The MXR 10 band is great but for most guitar applications is overkill, and I actually prefer the frequencies on the Fish & Chips to what you get on the 10 band MXR. I like having control over the 200 frequency vs the 250 that you get with the 10 band.

For a total budget of $200, I'd get the Fish & Chips ($29) and a Seymour Duncan 805 overdrive ($139). Actually if you buy from MF, they have a 17% coupon right now.

5. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Chosing an OD will depend a lot on your amp, your guitar, your playing style, the sound you're going for, and to a large extent, just what you like. Your best bet is to take your guitar and amp (shouldn't be too hard with a Blackstar Fly) to a guitar shop and try a few out to see what you like.

Definitely try out some of the standards like a Tubescreamer (the TS mini is perfectly fine), Boss SD-1, Boss BD-2, and DOD OD-250. All of those should be available for well under $100. Many other ODs are just variations on those.

For the price, the Dano Fish + Chips is pretty good. At least, it sounds decent and is relatively quiet. It's not built very sturdy though, so i wouldn't trust it for much beyond playing at home. Behringer pedals in general are even cheaper construction and often noisy (the most common issue with cheap EQ pedals). Boss and MXR EQ pedals are common for good reason. Both are well constructed, quiet, and sound good (some people prefer one to the other and it's often a matter of personal taste).

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Boss GE-7 or GEB-7 (bass version) both have very good frequency selections for guitar in general, and can be found for under $60 all day every day. I got mine for $40 in 9/10 condition.

For an overdrive, you can't really go wrong with a Maxon OD808 or OD9. The Ibanez TS9 is pretty similar and much cheaper used, but isn't true bypass like the OD9. Any classic "green" style overdrive like those will be great for metal sounds. The Maxon pedals will run between $80-100 used and the TS9 will be $50-60

7. ImBCRichBitch

ImBCRichBitch SS.org Regular

have you looked into Joyo or Mooer?

8. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

The Joyo Classic OD is a tube screamer clone with true bypass. I got mine for $25 shipped off of Ebay.

9. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

If you buy an EQ pedal that has a Level (db boost)
    you shouldn't need an OD pedal.

It will clean boost, plus you'll be in control of the
    final 'color' of the sound.

10. kreaturesleeper

kreaturesleeper SS.org Regular

Ive always been a fan of SD1's. Tone at noon, drive at 0, level dimed. They can be had cheap and tend to compliment different amps very well. Spend the rest on a good eq.

11. kreaturesleeper

kreaturesleeper SS.org Regular

Edit: duplicate post

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

+1 on the DOD 250. I have a VFE Distortion³, which is based on the 250/Distortion+ circuit, and it definitely is an interesting boost to a distorted amp. I use it mainly with amps where I don't need to boost the midrange nor cut the low end, and just want to add some character to the tone as well as a bit more volume/distortion.

13. Alekke

Alekke Octopus Djentalis

When I was looking for a boost, I tried whole bunch of them. It really depends on an amp and guitar.
    I ended using Bad Monkey. Works best for me and has separate bass/treb controls. Other than, MXR GT-OD is very nice.

14. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Like others have said it will depend on your amp/guitar/playing style but if it were me and I was on a budget I would get the Fish n Chip and the Joyo Vintage Overdrive.

You could have both of them for $50 or less if you buy used. Not a bad starting place IMO.

I have wanted to try the Joyo just because it is so cheap but I have never used it. I have used the Bad Monkey which is not much more expensive and it is a very good cheap alternative OD pedal.

The Fish and Chips hands down is a great EQ. The only problem with that pedal is that it is made out of cheap plastic and feels like you are going to break it into pieces when you step on it but it sounds great.

IMO you cannot beat the Fish and Chips for an EQ on a budget.

Wanted to edit this.

I would actually get this Overdrive instead. Caline Puresky $30 new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

15. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Aside from Joyo, you could also look into Biyang pedals. Just like Joyo, they're Chinese pedals, but they're supposed to be better quality than the Joyo's. They were/are also sold in North America by Akai from what I've seen for three times the price, and by guitar fetish (their GFS pedals) for about the same price, maybe a bit more than the Biyang labeled pedals.

16. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I actually have both the Joyo Vintage OD and the Caline Pure Sky (I've been on a cheap pedals bender lately). It may have been just mine, but the vintage OD was super noisy. So much hum I couldn't use it. Picked up a TS mini instead. I know other people have had better luck though. On the other hand, the Pure Sky is great. No issues with it and it sounds fantastic. The Joyo Ultimate Drive also really impressed me. Great sound for the price.

17. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

MXR 10 band is under $100 used all over the place. I just sold one a couple months ago for $75. Look around, you will find one. More bands is mo betta!

Personally, my favorite OD has been the $50 boss SD1.

18. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

personally
    I'd go mxr 10 band, used should be fine . I regret selling mine 6 months ago

and

OD808. out of all the boost I have tried for high gain there is just a mojo it has that the others don't . IMHO of course

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Used Boss SD-1 and GE-7. Get both used for under $100.

20. HateTank

HateTank SS.org Regular

Spot on. Sounds killer. :metal: