OD-808 vs. OCD/other overdrive?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TheWarAgainstTime, Jul 26, 2012.

1. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've got the Maxon OD-808 which I like, but I feel that it's too gritty for me even as just a clean boost and that I don't get enough boost of the midrange when compared to a TS-9.
    Does anyone have experience with the Fulltone OCD? Or any other overdrive really, I'm just looking for something smoother and less scooped sounding.
    I'm mainly just going to be using it as a clean boost, if that helps. Thanks!

2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

i've been hawking this pedal like crazy lately, but the delta labs tube driver is dirt cheap and sounds great, it's my favorite OD, over the TS9. It does clean boost better for sure (less dirt) and sounds better for chugga chugga boosting to my ears too, just a bit silkier, better saturation. I picked mine up at GC for $25 on a whim.

EDIT - when i tried the OCD, i thought it was high gain for an OD - approaching distortion levels, but i didn't spend too much time with it. Much more knowledgeable folks on here for that pedal

3. iff

iff SS.org Regular

If the OD-808 is too gainy for you, look far away from the OCD.

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

^^thanks for the replies/advice.
    It's not that the 808 has too much gain, it's just a little edgy for my taste, kinda like turning your presence knob up too high

5. EOT

EOT I pull over 500 lbs.

I like them both. No reason not own both IMO.

Edit: oops! Posted the in the wrong thread...

6. Gryphon

Gryphon SS.org Regular

I have both the OD808 and Fulltone OCD in my signal chain, running into a Peavey 6505. I absolutely love the OCD, though it is sort of a cross between an Overdrive and Distortion pedal and really boosts the shit out of the amp. It does have a switch to go from LP to HP and you can roll the gain back so I'm assuming you could use it for a clean boost as well, it's just that I love the fuzz/dirt it adds while still retaining clarity so I use it for that and the OD808 for a clean boost.

7. nothingleft09

nothingleft09 What... the... F@#k!

One of my buds uses a BBE Green Screamer I think it's called. He runs that and a sonic stomp into a Randall RG100 rack mount head through a marshall 1960A and holy shit! lol I haven't actually messed around with it but he has an OD-808 and a Zakk Wylde overdrive and the BBE sounds way better over the others.