OCD-What do you do with it?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by rexbinary, Sep 13, 2019 at 8:24 PM.

1. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I'm not trolling I promise. I have an OCD v2 and I can't get anything I like out of it because I'm dumb. I know it's me because this pedal is really well liked. To those of you that use one: how are you using it? It's probably the most well made pedal I've ever held in my hand so I'd like to use it. I have a feeling it's really for mostly clean players which I'm not.

Adieu likes this.
  2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Damn. And here I was going to suggest therapy, and using logic to talk yourself out of the repeating patterns.

odibrom, XPT707FX, Gmork and 5 others like this.
  3. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Turn down the gain on your amp, and keep the level on the OCD at 3pm or lower. Even with the gain at zero on the OCD, it packs quite a punch compared to a typical TS9 type circuit.

rexbinary likes this.
  4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I use mine with the switch set to HP, drive, tone, and volume all between 9:00-11:00, then put it in front of a clean amp for a Marshall-y flavor of added gain. It takes the clean channel of my Mark V from my normal clean to a nice grit, like that "edge of breakup" sort of sound that a lot of people like. I run mine at 18v for extra headroom. I feel like it gives me a bit of extra dynamic range to where I can clean up the pedal a bit with my volume knob or just by picking softer, or dig in for extra saturation.

I'm actually not that into it for higher gain stuff, or even as a clean boost in front of a high gain amp.

rexbinary likes this.
  5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Even a great piece of gear won't work for absolutely everyone.

There are a bazillion ODs out there, grab something that works better with your own rig, playing, and tastes.

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

You play into a 5153, right? If it’s that amp, I really don’t care to boost mine at all. I don’t have an OCD, but my MXR CMBA OD is pretty versatile and no matter how I set it and play with the amp controls, I always like my EVH better without it. With my 6505, it’s the opposite.

rexbinary likes this.
  7. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I think I'd like to use it similar to what @TheWarAgainstTime mentioned so I'm going to try that out along with @vick1000 's suggestion. But yeah absolutely it might be a great pedal but just not for me.

I do use a 5153. I don't boost the red at all, but I use an 805 on the blue which I'm 100% happy with. The OCD might just fit on the clean channel for me as another dirt option. I'll try playing with it there again and follow the suggestions I received.

8. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I have an earlier version that I've never plugged into a guitar amp, but I use it as an overdrive with electric bass.

It has so much low end, it seems like it would be tricky to use as an overdrive with guitar. Gain down/level up could be a cool boost to an crunchy guitar amp, as the OCD seems to have a lot of volume available. If you wanted the OCD 's gain turned up, I assume you'd want the amp to pretty much be clean, otherwise the low end might get out of control.

rexbinary likes this.
  9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

The most common use i hear of for an OCD is just as a distortion into a clean channel. People that use a clean amp as a “pedal platform”.

rexbinary likes this.
  10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

I use the modeled version but used to have a Keeley D&M Drive where one side is based on the OCD. I liked it best with single coils on top of a clean channel.

11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Ocd adds a great metallic clank when you use it as a boost. Works best in front of pretty fat and loose amps. Sounds amazing in front of my SLO clone. I have even used it effectively on my Mark v, though it felt a little silly.

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

Have you tried the internet? Not being a dick (well maybe a lil?). There's a ton of great demos on how to use the OCD on youtube.

Snarkiness aside, the OCD is one of the great pedals ever made.

To sum up what I've learned (and FWIW I own two):

Your rig matters... a LOT. You will get very different results through a Vox, Marshall, Fender, etc style amps. You will also get very different results with single coils vs HB, especially between a Strat and LP.

Many people use it with an amp already at/near breakup. It responds much differently with a high headroom clean amp vs an amp that's already pushed.

This is a great video (FFWD to 18:20):

The different versions matter. You have a v2. I assume you mean v2 and not v1.2 (which people used to call v2 by mistake). That version has more gain and the vol taper is different. Here's a good history if you haven't already watched (and care):

(You can also hear that their A/B test amp is at breakup and not super clean.)

Anyways, hope this helps. I have a TON of OD/dirt pedals (maybe 90 at this point?) so I'll try and help if you have any questions.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 8:48 AM
  13. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Yes I did. SSO is actually on the Internet, and is also filled with people that play metal like myself. :hbang:

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  14. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

I used it for light dirt into a cranked jcm800. I also enjoyed it with the gain up into a clean practice amp at home.

15. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

The best thing to do with it is unplug it and put a Tubescreamer, SD-1, GE-7, or some other boost in front instead.

16. USMarine75

Because I too, often ask a metal community about vintage Marshall style pedals. ;)

I also subscribe to Cat Fancy magazine for all my dog needs...

So... on a serious note. What is your goal with the OCD? Are you trying to get modern metal tones out of it or are you using it for medium gain (e.g. AC/DC)? There's no reason to own a pedal because you think it's well made. It either cops a tone you like or not. There's a million demos on youtube. Are any of those what you want to sound like? Otherwise, there are plenty of MIAB higher gain pedals on the market that may suit you better. YMMV

Huh?

17. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I probably should have said "in front of your amp instead", but the idea is simple; take it out of the chain, put something better in. The OCD kinda sucks tbh.

18. USMarine75

Haha well it is one of the most popular/well-selling/iconic pedals of all time - literally considered a "must have". But if low/mid gain Marshall dirt isn't your thing then yeah. Tone is subjective anyways. There's a reason why Marshall isn't the only amp brand out there.

Just curious, why do you think it sucks? (again tone is subjective - if it sounds like shit to you no worries lol) But maybe this will help OP since he also seems to feel the same way.

19. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

I love mid-gain Marshall dirt... but I've got so many other (and better) ways of getting it. My Marshall Studio Classic, channel 1 of my Twin Jet, and at least one channel of both of my Laneys are great for it. I almost never use a pedal for a main distortion sound (the only exception is the HM-2); I prefer using them as boosts, and the OCD tends to go really badly there, doing none of what I want out of an OD (tightening, compression), and changing the distortion character of my amps in ways I don't want it to. It works a bit better in front of the Ironheart (which itself is crazy tight, and doesn't need to be any tighter; I prefer something with a flatter response in front of that amp specifically because I like loosening it a touch), but there's still plenty of other things I'd rather use.

The OCD isn't the only hugely hyped "must have" OD pedal I can't stand. One day, I'll find the reason to go on a rant about Klon clones. The one I tried might be my least favorite pedal I've ever played with.

20. USMarine75

Well yeah. If you only want an OD as a boost and not an OD then I wouldn't expect you to like the OCD (or any other OD pedal). Fair enough. :cheers:

And yeah I def wouldn't expect you to like a Klon then either lol.