Obzen art; worth buying the hard copy for?

FanghornFlorist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It's only $8.91 on itunes, but no artwork (they really need to improve on that). What does the inside have, lyrics, a fold out picture or something?

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
More money goes to Meshuggah if you buy the hardcopy.

Not necessarily true; you need to factor in manufacturing, storage and distribution costs on top of that $8.91 to determine whether they'd get any more from hard sales

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
Not necessarily true; you need to factor in manufacturing, storage and distribution costs on top of that $8.91 to determine whether they'd get any more from hard sales

Correct, but for hte most part, iTunes seems only to really shortchange artists on their online distribution contracts.

Fine then, buy the CD so you can rip it as .flac

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Correct, but for hte most part, iTunes seems only to really shortchange artists on their online distribution contracts.

Dude, who doesn't short-change artists in this genre? :nuts:

swedenuck

Strictly Business
Reaction score
It really all depends on how much the artist has in their contract for percentage of royalties on items sold. In some cases they make more on cd sales and in others it is more profitable on Itunes sales.

Kotex

Trippin' balls
Reaction score
I would just buy the hard copy because I like having it. I don't have to worry about it getting deleted or something. Plus I like having something I can hold in my hands. :2c:

nabeelm

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I got the CD today, birthday gift from my wife. It has a nice jacket and the booklet has lyrics. If you want i could post some pics later.

FanghornFlorist

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

It's nice to know, but you don't have to act like some self righteous itunes vegan and make me look like i'm cheap for "not supporting" by buying itunes. As much as i can't stand itunes marketing, especially if they do short-change, it's nice to be able to find obscure music at a reasonable price, a lot of albums bought would have been around $3-$5 more a piece, and that really adds up after 10 or 20. I don't agree with sacrificing the artwork for money at all, and wonder what i've missed with the albums i've bought, but go fucking cough it up if you're going to preach at people. I probably won't have time to make it to the store for another 2 days, so i payed the measly $9 and downloaded it, which i'll probably regret, but at least i can listen to some new music now. Technology sucks sometimes and we're all part of the problem, so thanks for making me feel like a dog for supporting a band at the cost of my convenience. If itunes is market racketeering, well then you're right, but i guess you have to pick your battles. It's good to know there's watchdogs out there, so thank you in that respect. Nableem, i am guessing if you post the pics they will be removed because of copyrights.

DelfinoPie

Whoopsie Daisy!
Contributor
Reaction score
I would just buy the hard copy because I like having it. I don't have to worry about it getting deleted or something. Plus I like having something I can hold in my hands. :2c:

:agreed: I like that I can look at my music collection without having to turn on my computer as well :)

Shorty

Guitar Buying Frenzy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck anyone to find a CD copy. I scoured every CD store in Manchester (a big UK city) and nothing at all. Amazes me how the record companies bitch about piracy but I cannot find a fairly significant metal release in HMV or Virgin!

oompa

Ze..
Contributor
Reaction score
there are two good reasons that together makes it worth buying a hard copy:

imo as long as its not popmusic, always buy hard copies of albums you like. you can download stuff and go listen to it for years, but eventually buy the album if you really dig it. not for the art, but simply because they are musicians you like, and you'd want people to do the same if/when/now that/since/whatever you are signed and rolling.

also it is a backup from wich you can rip music to any quality you like (like lossless).

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Good luck anyone to find a CD copy. I scoured every CD store in Manchester (a big UK city) and nothing at all. Amazes me how the record companies bitch about piracy but I cannot find a fairly significant metal release in HMV or Virgin!

Amazon will ship to the UK right? :scratch: Grab it from them if they do. :yesway: I have to do that for a lot of smaller name bands or solo albums that aren't usually carried in every store. :(

Trespass

AEADGBEA
Reaction score
It's nice to know, but you don't have to act like some self righteous itunes vegan and make me look like i'm cheap for "not supporting" by buying itunes. As much as i can't stand itunes marketing, especially if they do short-change, it's nice to be able to find obscure music at a reasonable price, a lot of albums bought would have been around $3-$5 more a piece, and that really adds up after 10 or 20. I don't agree with sacrificing the artwork for money at all, and wonder what i've missed with the albums i've bought, but go fucking cough it up if you're going to preach at people. I probably won't have time to make it to the store for another 2 days, so i payed the measly $9 and downloaded it, which i'll probably regret, but at least i can listen to some new music now. Technology sucks sometimes and we're all part of the problem, so thanks for making me feel like a dog for supporting a band at the cost of my convenience. If itunes is market racketeering, well then you're right, but i guess you have to pick your battles. It's good to know there's watchdogs out there, so thank you in that respect. Nableem, i am guessing if you post the pics they will be removed because of copyrights.

The irony of this statement is that I am a real life vegan :lol:

Technology isn't the problem, its how its being abused like iTunes. The quality is terrible. 'sides, you can find lots of obscure releases in lossless .flac goodness if you like waffles :lol:

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
Technology isn't the problem, its how its being abused like iTunes. The quality is terrible. 'sides, you can find lots of obscure releases in lossless .flac goodness if you like waffles :lol:

I don't see how 128kbps AAC is 'abuse of the system'. Most people can't even tell the difference between CD-quality audio and 128kbps mp3, which is sounds even worse than the same bitrate in AAC. Hell, why do you think Sony are still using ATRAC on their devices? :lol: That shit sounds baaaaad. Besides, I think everything's been (or is going to be) bumped up to 192kbps AAC, so I don't see the issue here

I'm yet to see any legal download services offering .flac on the scale of the iTunes Music Store. Tell me where I can find these 'lots of obscure releases' and maybe I will kiss you

Amazon will ship to the UK right? :scratch:

I'm sure Amazon UK do... :rolleyes:

Amazon.co.uk: Obzen: Meshuggah: Music

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Reaction score

A buddy of mine from England tells me that english HMV's metal section is fucking terrible, they have bands like Good Charlotte listed as metal.

Mastodon

Songs about My Cats
Reaction score
Even though you payed for the download, I say you still buy the cd at some point.

Austin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I bought the cd tonight at Best Buy... while the album is amazing, the art work is fairly strange and not what I expected from Meshuggah. This might be more than you all wanted to read, but in case you're curious: the cover art is what looks like a photoshopped image of a dude with four arms sitting indian-style who has apparently cut his dick off (complete with blood spurts on the chest, gore dripping down in puddles, etc).

On a different topic: from perusing the booklet I was interested to see that the drummer wrote all the lyrics for the album, but only has the music publishing for half of one song. I guess I was mistaken but I thought he wrote quite a bit of the music on past albums

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score

I was just at a FYE in Florida here, and i saw about 10 copies sitting there :lol:

Latest posts