Obscura - New album updates

mikah912

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK, forget what I said about "Diluvium" the song. This album is super UNdynamic. Same tempos, structures and progressions over just under an hour of music. Disappointing to be honest. Trujillo is definitely a monster player, but they're really missing the songwriting badassery of Hannes/Meunzer or Foutainhead.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
... To me this is easily their best. It just has so much going on. And coming from a guy that has a main influence being the album Cynic - Focus (I listened to my burned cd copy of this album so much as a kid that it eventually stopped working even though it never left my cd player)... this was exactly what I wanted to hear in a metal album. I am NOT trying to make comparisons or throw shade at Alkaloid because I really like that band too, but as their new album sounded unfocused and to some extent like throwing spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks (AND I LIKE THE NEW ALBUM!) Diluvium is... a wow. I also think SSO has a lot of people that still have a bias against this band for whatever reasons and it bleeds over into the forums overall opinion of the band. The original split was badly done, and the split with Fountainhead was really badly done also... but I think the music has spoken for itself. Song structure is also not usually something I take points away for a band using. Because... well, I like songs and the songs on Diluvium are really, really well structured and sound like complete thoughts and not just random shit. One of my biggest pet peeves as a guitar player and a songwriter for the past 23 years is lazy, and bad songwriting. Specifically when bands I see live just use the pause to break into another part. Songs are supposed to have themes and movements, not just in the lyrics but in the music too. I may be old manning it here, but a lot of metal to me sounds like a bunch of random cool riffs thrown together.

This gets really high marks from me. Trujillo nailed it and the songs are fucking cool. But hey, I am a fan.

Last edited:

chopeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Though I'm a long time diehard fan, I must admit this is the one I like less so far, imo:

1. Omnivium
2. Akroasis
3. Cosmogenesis
4. Diluvium

Glades

Down in the Everglades
Reaction score
I've been listening to this album a bit since it dropped. I really like it.

Razerjack

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Uber solid material from top to bottom, the vocoder('cynic' vocal) stuff seem to really work as well. However I agree with the 'undynamic' part, the album does try to mix things up a bit, but only on a few occasions. If the album had better flow or more diversity this would be a 10/10 record for me.

mikah912

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Uber solid material from top to bottom, the vocoder('cynic' vocal) stuff seem to really work as well. However I agree with the 'undynamic' part, the album does try to mix things up a bit, but only on a few occasions. If the album had better flow or more diversity this would be a 10/10 record for me.

Exactly. Nothing's bad, per se, but there are just too many variants on the same structure. I want to hear acoustic/string sections like "Weltseele" or crazy mid-section solo affairs like "Velocity" or any of the beat tricks they used to break up songs in the past.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I really like this but what kills the album for me are the solos. First off, his playing is incredible so don't let me take that away. But.. they don't feel metal? They're kind of low gain and almost always on what I think are very boring and laid back progressions. The solos seem very out of place on a tech death album.

I could be the only one that thinks this. It's very noticable on a song like Mortification where the song is heavy as fuck.

Kruger667

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have not listened to this album in full. Unfortunately what I have listened to sounds like a compilation of all the bad parts of 'Choir of Spirits'.

- Drums that don't groove with guitars (feels like constant drum fills)
- Uninspired / unfinished guitar solos
- Overuse of icepicky riffs (....... all notes the same duration with palm muted pedal tone and open high notes)

--------------------------------------x----
-----------------x---x-x---x---x---x-------
-----x---x---x-------------------x---------
-x-x---x---x---x---x-----x---x-------x-x---

Metropolis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know it's tech death, but does it have any memorable songs like you can find from Cosmogenesis or Omnivium albums? I think not :shrug: Production also sounds way too dry and polished.

justin_time

has terrible gear
Reaction score
I've never understood why the production on each Obscura album sounds so weak, it just does not complement the band's impressive technical skills in my opinion. I find myself going back to Necrophagist - Epitaph instead.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I know it's tech death, but does it have any memorable songs like you can find from Cosmogenesis or Omnivium albums? I think not :shrug: Production also sounds way too dry and polished.

I've never understood why the production on each Obscura album sounds so weak, it just does not complement the band's impressive technical skills in my opinion. I find myself going back to Necrophagist - Epitaph instead.

:agreed: to both of these, I've listened to this 3 times, all of which have started with me needing to turn up the radio and then getting maybe 2/3rd of the way through the album and wondering how close it is to being over

squids

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to Obscura (have skimmed through cosmogenesis and omnivium, was told akroasis i could just skip), Diluvium is by far my favorite. extremely tight and not overly complicated, just good tech death. Really like the spacey/etherial vocoder stuff as well. one complaint is that the solos are kinda weak in volume, which is strange cause they absolutely rip and i love the lower gain sound.

anomynous

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Surprised at the reaction here. I love the album, Diluvium might be my second favorite of the “concept albums.”

Although I love all their material so who knows

noise in my mind

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The new album is awesome! Very concise song writing! I like all their albums for different reasons. I don't base if an album is good or not by arbitrary things like differentiation of tempo or tunings. I just like well written song, and this album is full of them.

Last edited:

chopeth

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
:agreed: to both of these, I've listened to this 3 times, all of which have started with me needing to turn up the radio and then getting maybe 2/3rd of the way through the album and wondering how close it is to being over

I'm with you, with earlier albums every song was a new and fresh revitalization of my interest, those albums I never get tired of listening, but after half a dozen of opportunities I gave Dilluvium, I still don't get catched by virtually anything and at song 7 or 8 I'm bored as hell or away with the fairies.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm with you, with earlier albums every song was a new and fresh revitalization of my interest, those albums I never get tired of listening, but after half a dozen of opportunities I gave Dilluvium, I still don't get catched by virtually anything and at song 7 or 8 I'm bored as hell or away with the fairies.

That's literally the exact point I tap out as well, can't really go by the track names but I want to say it's like 30 seconds in to Last Aeon and then I just turn it off

squids

Reaction score
after spending a little more time with the album, i do kind of understand what you guys are saying about everything sort of sounding the same. it is all relatively the same tempo, however i still like it. Clandestine Stars in particular reminds me of Demonocracy combined with Planetary Duality, which id say is pretty tasty

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
:bump:

So, I caught the DILUVIUM tour that rolled through Worcester last night. From headliner to opener it went: Obscura > Beyond Creation > Archspire > Inferni > Exist > The Last King > Beget of Nephilim (I think that was their name, I forgot honestly). Tech death is rad and all, but no concert should be six bands, this thing was ABSURDLY long, specifically SIX HOURS LONG. Got in at 6 with doors, didn't leave till 12:30 on a Tues night. I knew I was taking today as a "work from home" but I pity anyone who didn't.

The first two bands did their thing, typical "we're small bands trying to get our name out" I just wish more of them would play to their strengths and not try do this overly "Get those fucking hands in the AIR!" bit when the entire crowd is like, 1/10th of the total audience by the end of the night.
Exist ran into some problems with their cables somewhere, but they got it sorted out and did a solid set; vocals reminded me of the Tampa FL scene.
Inferni came on afterwards, no issues, just came on and rocked it.
Archspire is a band I know more for their technical aspect than their song writing chops, and I still stand by that - lots of stuff going on, none of it really making a dent in me.

Beyond Creation, bias I'm sure, but absolutely crushed it like you'd want and expect them to. They did two of the new songs, I think three off of Earthborn Evolution, and Omnipresent Perception from their first album. Just absolutely crushing and I was lucky enough to make my way to the 2nd row to avoid all the circle pit shit that came from before with Archspire.

Obscura, this one's an odd-ball as no one else should realistically see the show that we and the Canadian audiences saw, as Steffan had his passport stolen and couldn't be there - so they rotated vocalists from all the openers and Rafael carried the guitar work on his own. HUGE credit to him, like, seriously, he's a young dude put in a tough spot with everything that's gone on with the Obscura 2nd guitarist spot but he's owning it. Linus looks so god damn happy to be on stage, it's really refreshing to see given how much of metal seems to be "black clothes, black guitars, look badass" but he's just up there killing it on the fretless. Warning to anyone who is right up close to the stage, depending on the venue, you MAY get hit with a headstock if you're not careful. :lol:

All around, it was rad as shit to see Obscura AND Beyond Creation together, despite the overall aches and pains from a six hour tech-death concert, and about two of that was without plugs to get the full "I'm seeing Obscura and Beyond Creation together in one night" effect

I'm also convinced that the secret to being great at tech-death is having long hair being blown by a small fan while playing, it's got to be

zNw3nys.jpg

2HC9ClW.jpg