Obligatory Collection Post

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by TheBolivianSniper, Aug 4, 2020.

1. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

well I've been here long enough and no one even knows what I make my noise on so here we go, family pictures. I'll probably edit this later with some better pictures, my amp, and maybe my saxes (the instrument I study) but for now my 3 guitars.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first real guitar, my RGIX6DLB. It has a massive chunk of finish out of the back from shipping but it still looks and plays amazingly. I tore out the entire stock wiring harness and replaced it with EMG 57/66s and a PA2, full solderless wiring as well. It took 5 hours since the pickup routs were not sized to accept EMGs at all but it turned out way too well. Possibly the best feeling guitar I have. I prefer it over any premium ibanez I've played yet even though iron labels don't have the best reputation.

[​IMG]

My first real mod project, my BC Rich Mockingbird ST. It has so many tonal variations I pretty much have any clean to old school high gain sound on tap with it and it feels great to play. I wanted a new BC Rich but this thing was a third of the price and it's so much fun to play between the great neck and heel contour, the controls and the switches. Pickups replaced with a Dimarzio X2N in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck. It's my favorite passive set so far for anything but super modern high gain and both pickups truly deliver on what they're hyped for.

[​IMG]

And finally, the newest. I have to thank the one and only High Plains Drifter for this one. Truly the most unique and inspiring guitar I own, my Schecter A7 FRS. I had been looking for one of these for too long and it doesn't disappoint at all. At first I had plans to mod it like my previous avenger that I sold for this one but after playing the first time I couldn't touch it. It sounds absolutely brutal, heavy tones and screaming leads for days. Everything I could want from a 7 string and then some. I searched and searched and finally I got in contact with the Drifter himself who told me I wouldn't find it anywhere but offered his for sale. I took him right up on it and we got details for shipping taken care of right away, he gave me an incredible price and made my life way easier than it should've been, even had a really pleasant phone conversation in the meantime. Everything packed meticulously, instrument better than the photos. The story behind this thing and how amazing it really is was one of the highlights of this miserable year honestly. Also please ignore the carpet, not my choice.

Well there we go, 2 6s and a 7. All I need for guitars, running straight into my Blackstar HT 60, no pedals because I'm cheap. And I sold them for another guitar. If enough people seem interested I'll post more pictures and maybe some demos plus my saxes. Thanks to everyone for looking and welcoming me on board!

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Pics don’t work.

3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I really appreciate your effort in sharing, despite the pics not working!

4. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    Right click over the supposed picture and select "open in new tab" or something similar...

Cool guitars!, the BC Rich is quite an eye catcher! what do those switches do?

5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

I'm not seeing pics but regardless... I genuinely appreciate the kind words. Was a pleasure dealing with you and as much as I'm starting to feel hints of "sellers remorse", I know it's got a good home and that it went to a good dude. Glad that it arrived safely... figured it would but there's always a little bit of anxiety shipping guitars... even when packed with the utmost care. Oh and btw I hated seeing Schecter release pics of their new Avengers today. It really stung lol!

6. TheBolivianSniper

Well i spent most of my time I had to sleep before work last night trying to get the pictures to work and it looks like the still don't so if anyone knows how to get them fixed I would greatly appreciate it. As for the ST's switching, the bottom 2 are coil taps, the top is a phase switch and the chicken head knob is a 5 position varitone. Along with 2 volumes and a master tone it makes it insanely versatile. I had great strat, tele, les paul, and of course hot rodded sounds coming out of it within 5 minutes of each other one night. I seriously recommend the 2012 bc riches.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Use anything other than imgur. They block some places on purpose.

8. TheBolivianSniper

Snapchat-2002458237.jpg Snapchat-140845231.jpg Snapchat-824222954.jpg

Top is the A7, middle is the RG, bottom is the BC Rich.

Attached Files:

Edika, DudeManBrother, Pablo and 8 others like this.
  9. tonepaul777

tonepaul777 SS.org Regular

What's your opinion of the BC Rich. I've been debating about getting for like 2 years now and I can't make my mind up. What do you like most about it?

10. TheBolivianSniper

Definitely go for a mid 2010s/late 2000s model if you can find one and have pickups ready to swap in. The duncan designed set was ok but really made the guitar feel cheap.

I think the best part about it has to be a tie between the amazing neck and the switching capabilites. The frets feel comfortably large and modern while the nut width and slightly thicker neck give it a more les paul style playing feel that's amazing for complicated chords but also feels great to solo on. The varitone is amazing but it really cuts output and is best for cleans or getting a crunch out of an amp dialed for high gain 2 volumes and double coil splits are good for going from clean to distorted really easily and having a phase switch was the biggest surprise. I use it a lot since splitting both pickups and throwing the phase switch gets Tele sounds from an HH guitar. The floyd is also really good for a guitar that went for $500 new. Some places list it as a 1000, some an original, I just know it's the best floyd I have out of the 3.

They are really expensive now, mine was 650, and I've seen them go on reverb for 800, but if you're lucky you can snag an ST in good condition for around $600, throw your favorite pickup set in it, and call it good. Definitely go for something lower output though. The switching makes cleans and crunches insane, and the 24.75 scale length on most BC Riches means it's a pain in the ass to downtune.

Hope this helps!

tonepaul777 likes this.
  11. tonepaul777

tonepaul777 SS.org Regular

That's good to know. I wouldn't have thought to get one a mid-2000s one. I was originally looking for one slightly older than that. I've always been intrigued with all the switching a splitting capabilities. It would be fun to play around with. Some people think they look stupid, but I like all the "gadgets" on the guitar body.

What pups are you using on this one? Did you add any different coil tapping/splitting, pots, switches or did you just swop out the pups and everything else is stock?

12. TheBolivianSniper

All the wiring is stock, just threw in the X2N and Air Norton. The stock pots and switches feel a little stiff but they don't need swaps, they're reliable.

13. TheBolivianSniper

Rig update: replaced the blackstar since it just sounded like shit turned up remotely loud and wasn't that impressive quiet either. Got rid of the RG since the trem was literally rusting out and I couldn't keep the thing in tune, plus the frets felt terrible.

Traded the RG for a 6505+ and it RIPS. Sounds absolutely amazing, just what I want out of an amp.

Sold an unused pickup and the blackstar and used the money to buy a 2016 RG655 with a Crunch Lab/Liquifire combo installed in it. I now know why everyone here says get a used prestige. It has possibly the most amazing neck on any of my guitars and my other 2 have insanely good necks. The body contours feel great and the AANJ is just better on this one, and a real Edge trem unfortunately kicks the fuck out of a floyd rose. I even love the Crunch Lab and Liquifire and I'm not a Petrucci fan.

All in all, I've made massive upgrades to just what I wanted to change out. Pictures if you want shall follow.

14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Nice collection you’re building. But on to the important stuff :lol: What kind of saxes are you rocking? This is my 1931 Conn transitional alto. I’ve got a late 50’s Buescher as well. Love the sound of the old brass

5C391DB5-02B7-4600-A51E-95A30629E0DD.jpeg

15. TheBolivianSniper

Oh nothing vintage or fancy lol just got some decent horns that get the job done. I have a YAS62III that's getting me through college and a P. Mauriat System 76 soprano. Guitars come cheap but unfortunately good saxes do not so I don't have anything too outstanding.

Mostly my mouthpieces do the heavy lifting and the horns are just keeping stable intonation and feeling comfortable to play.

16. DudeManBrother

Yamaha make excellent saxophones, and those 62’s are pro tier. I’d honestly grab one over a Yanagisawa if I was looking for a modern sax. Like you said, mouthpieces/reeds make the biggest impact anyways.

17. TheBolivianSniper

Yeah man everyone has a mark VI or something fancy like that and I'm just chillin with my 62, it works really well for anything tbh. I'm considering an 82 or an 875 once I graduate but not before then. Do you play much tenor/bari?

18. DudeManBrother

Not much. I helped my neighbor with a minor restore (pads, springs, deep cleaning, alignment) of an old Martin tenor and play that once in a while; but I’ve only got altos myself. I wouldn’t mind picking one up at some point though.