Nutbuster: Gimmick or is it the real deal?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by JustinRhoads1980, Apr 28, 2020.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

So I have been having some issues with a decision about a Charvel dilemma I am having. I am mainly a Floyd guy, but love the dk24 2pt series.

The problem is I owned one and even with a good setup and proper intonation the tuning stability was meh, so I returned the guitar, but I have been regretting it.

I happened to stumble upon this piece of equipment called the Nutbuster (don't laugh) and I saw a few people talk/demo it like Darrell Braun and TTK. I was wondering do you guys think this thing is a complete BS gimmick or can it actually transform a traditional type tremolo guitar to be a shit ton more stable when doing bends and dime squeals and shit?
    [​IMG]

It seems like it makes sense, but I do worry about it just being not what it is hyped up to be. Plus the added fact that it is $175 also makes me want to reassure that it is legit.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

2. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I fail to see how this would work better than locking tuners. That said, I have zero experience with it.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's just a locking nut. It will do what a locking nut does and take the nut and all string length behind it out of the equation.

You'll still need to set the bridge up properly, and being single locking you won't have complete double locking stability, but it'll probably be close enough.

There are a number of similar products out there, from the Super V, to Floyd's behind the nut style, and Kahler had been making something like this for decades.

Quiet Coil likes this.
  4. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

So with this do you think it would be better options wise for me to take this and put it onto a non locking trem to give me somewhat of the experience of it? I know how to do setups so setting up the bridge won't be an issue at all.

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just get a guitar with the bridge you want, or pay for a full FR install, at $175 plus shipping, it's not like you aren't already invested.

6. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

Wilkinson's locking saddles for 2-point trems may be worth looking into, as well.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  7. Xk6m6m5X

Xk6m6m5X SS.org Regular

In combo with locking tuners should be pretty stable no?

8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I see the lock nut part of it but what are the knurled thumb screws for? It's a niche product for people that don't want to modify the guitar at all.

9. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

A locking nut prevents you from using your tuners. it's why floyds have fine tuners. This is meant to be used with other trems that don't have their own fine tuners.

This doesn't actually attach to the neck. It floats above it, while hanging on to the strings. I've never touched a guitar with one, but i can't help but imagine that dive bumbing would make it "knock" as it goes back into place once the strings are pull taut again, no?

10. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I don't know man. I now it don't attache to the guitar but I'm trying to figure out what those thumb screws are for. I can't find it on thier website. Oh, well not worth the effort. I have no need. I got a LoPRo!

11. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Fender made one in the mid-'80s, fine tuners and all. I still have one.

https://reverb.com/item/312524-rare...cking-nut-for-stratocaster-vintage-strat-part

And, damn, if he got that for it I'm selling mine!

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

It's the first sentence of the post you quoted. After you lock a Floyd's nut, for example, you have to re-tune...but how do you do that when the guitar's tuners on behind the locking nut? you use the fine tuners on the bridge. With this one, they are assuming your bridge doesn't have the necessary fine tuners, so they built then into this lock nut.

13. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

If it just floats I'll bet it doesn't work worth a crap. The only thing it *might* do is prevent friction binding in the string trees, and staggered tuners solve that by...removing the string trees. For a lot less than $175.

14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I'm going with my gut on this and resisting change like any sensible guitar player.

KR250 likes this.