Nut not centered properly

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by conorreich, Apr 15, 2020.

1. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I have an 8 string Agile Interceptor with the Kahler and a locking nut. The nut is not centered perfectly, there fore my low string easily comes off the fret board if I finger the string a certain way. I have sausage fingers so I need room for error lol.

So my ideas:
    Glueing the locking nut and shim (seems unstable since I'm glueing wood>plastic>metal)
    Buying a regular 8 string nut and redo it completely without a locking nut. ( I have the trem in hardtail mode, and I have locking tuners on it now.)

I'm including pictures in case I'm not describing it well

Help me SSO, you're my only hope

Attached Files:

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ok how I would tackle this, is take the nut off completely, using wood and wood glue to plug the holes.
    (Thick matchsticks or even those Kebab skewers work fine), get them flush by snipping and lightly sanding, then refitting the nut central.

3. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to filling holes like that. Will that hold well? It's a great idea though, Thanks! I'll tackle this next string change. Any suggestion on glue? I've always used tite bond, but if i remember correctly, it swells.

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I use Gorilla Wood glue for any woodwork stuff. Sorry I have no experience with Tite bond dude.

Should hold fine yeah, especially as the new holes you will drill will be a little to the side of the ones you have just filled. Will hold the nut fine. :)

5. conorreich

conorreich Momento Mori

Awesome, you are absolutely the man! :eddie:

lewis likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

no problem mate :)

hope all goes well.

7. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

The nice thing about plugging the holes like this, is that there's no "pulling" force on it. The strings will push down on the nut, so it's not like a bolt-on neck or something, where's it's constantly being pulled on. Keep in mind the toothpick/glue repair is one often recommended as a fix for strap buttons that have pulled out. Is it as durable as drilling out the hole cleanly, and filling it with a single solid hard wood dowel and re-drilling? No...but for the lock nut, it'd be more than suffient.

I've been using titebond 2 for small personal woodworking projects for almost 2 decades, and haven't come across issues with "swelling"...I've only used gorilla glue recently because it dries less yellow than TiteBond 2.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    lewis likes this.