Nu-B, Please be gentle!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Smurf43, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Smurf43

Smurf43 New Member

40 year pro drummer, bassist, and git-fiddelist who has recently bought into the 7-string world with a new Ibanez GRG 7 for a great price. Tho I am not really into the "djent - nu Metal" world I CAN appreciate the skill set. I am just exploring some new tones ATM.

Now, after all that I look forward to searching for THE easiest course to get myself acquainted with this beast, and absorbing the knowledge that is already posted. If I post a stupid question that has been asked 1000 times, forgive me, I have not found that thread yet!

Looking forward to my stay!

neotronic and Edika like this.
  2. Fred the Shred

Fred the Shred Shrederick

Welcome! The best way to become familiar with your 7-string is really to find ways to incorporate the 7th string in chord voicings and scalar runs at first, and to not feel obligated to ride the thing all the time just because it's a 7-string. In many instances, it will be just an extra string you use sparingly if at all, in fact, while it will be essential in others, so just fiddle with it so you have a good notion of where it "fits", so to speak. :)

XPT707FX and Blytheryn like this.
  3. Smurf43

Smurf43 New Member

Thanks Fred!

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Write something new with your 7 and it will quickly feel like home, at least for that song. I don’t know what kind of music you’re into; but you can instantly have fun playing a basic I IV V blues jam in E, utilizing the 6th, 5th, and 7th open strings respectively, as a bass note for each chord change as you solo around the neck.

5. Smurf43

Smurf43 New Member

Funny you would say that dudeman, that is what I was doing this afternoon! LOL!