NTS vs Emissary 2 - My comparison test

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by alessandroarzilli, Jul 14, 2019.

Which one did you like the most?

1. NTS

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Emissary 2

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. alessandroarzilli

alessandroarzilli SS.org Regular

Hey community what's up everyone?
    I made a comparison test between the Neural DSP Fortin NTS Suite and the STL Tones Ignite Amps Emissary 2!
    They both can be considered as an all-in-one solution for metalheads.
    They both have dual channel heads and can blend two impulse response in their cab sim.
    The NTS suite, though, includes a pedal section before the amp featuring the Zuul noise gate, the Hexdrive overdrive and the Grind booster, so I’m going to add some virtual pedals by Ignite Amps before the Emissary to make the comparison more equal: the TS-999 subscreamer booster, and the ProFET preamp distortion box. As for the noise gate, I’ll be using ReaGate. Finally, talking about money, the NTS is paid software while the Emissary is totally free.
    I’ll be playing my JS22-7 (with sd invader in the bridge) and my A2.6W and I’m not going to EQ or compress the guitar tracks at all.

Which one do you like the most?

I'm neither sponsored, nor endorsed by Neural DSP, Fortin Amplification, STL Tones or Ignite Amps!
    I'm just a metalhead who likes making video reviews!

Crundles and Alex79 like this.
  2. Necky379

Necky379 SS.org Regular

I liked the NTS for rhythm and the Emissary for the lead.

3. Evil Chuck

Evil Chuck SS.org Regular

Are the settings shown on all the plugins in the video the actual settings you used here?

4. alessandroarzilli

Yes, of course. What do you think of their sound?

5. Evil Chuck

I Liked the sound of both, probably NTS a bit more. Still, not enough to convince me to pay $100 for it when Emissary is free though.

I am planning on buying NTS if it goes on sale for Cyber Monday.

Thanks for the doing the video.

alessandroarzilli likes this.
  6. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

Try out the demo versions from Neural DSP, they're totally free for 14 days without any restrictions. Emissary feels like wanking with a wet wool sock when playing or something like that compared to those :D

7. Evil Chuck

I tried NTS when it was first released (along with Nameless before that), but I was just getting back into guitar and was really new with VSTs. I don't really think I was able to get the full idea of their quality. I have a little bit better idea of how to set things up now, but I already used the trial up :(. I'm just waiting for NTS to hopefully go on sale and I'll likely just buy it then.

I use Emissary now and I really like the tone I get with it out of my guitar with Blackouts, but not as much with a guitar I have with the Nazgul / Sentient combo.

8. alessandroarzilli

I agree with both of you. I want to specify again that I'm not sponsored by Neural DSP, Fortin Amplification, STL Tones or Ignite Amps, I just like doing these reviews and comparison videos, being a video-editor, so these are just my opinions, I'm not a pro player.
    So, said that on the premise, I still think that the NTS is far more versatile than the Emissary free bundle. What makes the NTS Suite better, imho, is the pre-amp stop-box section, since the Zuul + Hexdrive + Grind virtual pedals really add that great clarity and quality to your tone.
    Yes, in my test I tried to replicate those with the TS999 booster and the ProFET overdrive, put in front of the Emissary amp, but they're defintely different from the Fortin ones.
    Also, I tried to make the cab section as much similar to each other as possible, but still the NTS sounds better in the mix.

9. MSS

MSS SS.org Regular

Cool riff.

Some decent tones in both. However, I thought they both sounded a bit grainy. I think these plugins will be stellar in a few years but right now, IMO, I don’t feel like they are on par with hardware based digital modelers like the Axe III.

To answer your question, I liked the NTS better.