NRD: make ya say wO)))))w

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by broj15, Sep 23, 2020.

1. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Pics first as usual
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So after a few months of not having a decent rig I decided it was time to fix that. Ended up spotting a deal on a used Hilbish Beta preamp & a Crown XLS1500. The Hilbish isn't even a year old and the Crown is an older model but was brand new in the box & about $200 less than the cheapest one I could find online. The cab is a relatively rare '68 Sunn off set 4x12 that I got for cheap almost a year ago because the seller thought it had a blown speaker (it didn't. The soldering had just broken loose). The original 12" Sunn transducers were only rated for 40 watts & sound like ass so I swapped em out with some swamp things. And of course my trusty T60 had to make its way into the shot.

Impressions:
    Since I basically started over & built this rig from the ground up I haven't really been able to A/B it with anything else, but it all sounds amazing. The Hilbish preamp sounds dead up like an old Sunn Beta but with pretty much no hum or hiss. It's 2 identical channels that run in parallel so they can be ran separately or combined via the foot switch. Each channel has its own loop with access to both as well as the master output on the front and the back. It can be used with pretty much any power amp as well as into an interface with a cab sim straight into a DAW (really excited about that option).
    The Crown is my first power amp. I've heard people say that class D power amps "just aren't as loud as A/B" but idk. After a couple days running the Hilbish into just one channel pushing 525 watts I gotta call bullshit on that. This is the first set up I've had that's caused a physical sensation in my head that made my brain say "hey you should probably turn it down a bit" and it wasn't even close to clipping. Aside from that I'm really glad I scored the crown as it really is a utilitarian piece of gear. Me or my band mate can run our harsh noise rigs, samplers, keyboards, mixers, etc. Into it and it won't color the signal. We usually use a Peavey musician mk4 for that but it's kind a lacking in volume for that and it colors the tone to much.
    Can't really say much about the swamp thangs just yet. They're speakers. The don't sound muddy or harsh & they push alot of air. That's pretty much all I ask for from a speaker so I can't complain.

MFB, rexbinary, Deadpool_25 and 19 others like this.
  2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

WOah! Awesome! I had no idea those preamps existed. Does IT DOOM? HNRD !

broj15 likes this.
  3. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

I've been so close to pulling the trigger on one of those for so long. Their new Red Fang pedal looks killer, as well. Happy NRD!!

broj15 likes this.
  4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I use that same power amp for bass and it's plenty loud. For guitar it might even be overkill. If you run out of headroom, you can run it in bridged mode, and it'll be way more than enough.

HNRD

broj15 likes this.
  5. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

It definitely does the thing. I really wanted to post some clips but of course my phone mic doesn't do it justice (duh) and all our recording gear (mics, interface, cables) are at a different location, but hopefully I'll be able to get something together. If anything I really wanna see how it's stacks up with a cab sim for silent recording.

Oh man I had no idea he was working on a red fang pedal. All his stuff is super clean & seems solidly built. I'd say definitely get a Hilbish at some point. It's super versatile with all the different routing & loop options & it sound EXACTLY like my old beta bass, but without the scratchy pots & incessant hum that comes with a head that's nearly 40 years old. With original Betas running as much as they are now (regardless of condition) I seriously urge anyone looking at one to save yourself the inevitable headaches/repair bills and just cop the Hilbish. Plus the original Betas are only rated at 100 watts and really aren't as loud as thier reputation would have you think. This let's you use whatever power amp you want, big or small, and fits into a standard rack mount set up for extra convenience.

c7spheres likes this.
  6. vilk

vilk Very Regular

HNRD!

I think it was you who said before that Sunn Beta amps aren't loud enough, but seriously I couldn't turn mine to 2 without overpowering the whole band (dual rec, tone hammer 700, and hard angled cymbals). Maybe your old Beta had something messed up, which isn't unimaginable because as you've said they are pretty old. Mine was absolutely ear-splitting. Either way volume shouldn't be a problem for you any more!

efiltsohg and broj15 like this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Love it!

Congrats!

broj15 likes this.
  8. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Mine totally could've been messed up. The tone didn't sound off or anything, but for whatever reason it just couldn't hang with the rest of the band. I think I used it at one or two practices and then switched back to my Peavey and sold the Beta for double what I paid for it. My old beta also didn't have the foot switch which is the only way to use the parallel channel feature, which is probably the most useful part about the amp.

9. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

I'm not sure who's saying that -- maybe watt vs. watt, but they're almost never sized up that way since it's way easier to break the 100/150W ceiling without tubes.

Awesome stuff though -- I've had my eyes on that pre for a while.

StevenC and broj15 like this.
  10. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Doom rig to be proud of my guy. Love that T-60 too, HNRD!

broj15 likes this.
  11. Jsp552003

Jsp552003 SS.org Regular

Nice! I recently bought the Hilbish Sol Invictus pedal which is basically a sunn beta preamp in a pedal. I’ve never owned a sunn beta but always wanted one. Man it sounds awesome. Running it through a carvin SS poweramp and vertical 2x12. It also sounds pretty great using it with IRs.

broj15 likes this.
  12. efiltsohg

efiltsohg SS.org Regular

I love that Peavey

broj15 likes this.
  13. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

awesome rig, congrats!!!!

broj15 likes this.
  14. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

That's a solid rig, man. Swamp thangs are a great fit for Beta series amps imo. Enjoy.

broj15 likes this.
  15. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

Yeah from all the research I've done it seems like the only real drawback of class D is that cheaper models with cheaper digital processors have a hard time accurately replicating the higher frequencies, but I didn't really notice any issues with this set up.
    And in regards to the Hilbish, definitely buy it. I can't believe how cheap these go for used, but Even the new price isn't that bad.

T60's rule. I've had 2 and played 3 and they've all been really consistent. The OG tuners hold tuning surprisingly well, all of em had low action with minimal buzz, and the neck profile is a perfect thin C. Plus the pickups are great for the kind of music I usually play.

If I wasn't trying to piece together a new rig & already had I head I liked I definitely woulda went for a Sol Invictus. It's also good to know it sounds good with IR's.