NPreAmpD - Mooer 015 Brown Sound

buriedoutback

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pics first:
Mooer 015 : https://i.imgur.com/guYR2pV.jpg
Pwr-Amp : https://i.imgur.com/Rhlgzm3.jpg

TLDR: Way better cleans than my 5150 and the gain channel is close enough! I love it!!

I wanted to do 2 things:
1. Put together a smaller analogy rig to jam at home that
2. could be used as a live rig backup.

Previously, I was using my line 6 hd500 into a pa speaker, or guitar > vst on my hackintosh with decent results. I could jam unaccompanied, or along with my recorded album tracks, and it was ok.

As I've posted in other threads, I've done the journey of analog > digital > analog for my live rig (5150/mesa 412 > hd500 > 5150/mesa 412) and I figured it was time to get a decent home rig built with a 412 and everything. IMO nothing sounds like a real 412.

What I did not want to do:
1. buy another 5150 / haul my 5150 back and forth from my jam space.
2. buy another mesa 412 / haul that heavy-ass beast back and forth.

So:
I discovered (from another awesome pedal-building thread on here) the $5 '100watt' micro power-amp. I ordered a few from ebay. The amp runs on 12V and so far is very clean sounding, and was only slightly warm to the touch after jamming for an hour or so.
I found a cheap marshall mg412b on kijiji and drove out to grab it. I've used them extensively in the past, and despite what many ppl say, I always liked the tone / weight / price of these cabs.
This setup (with my line 6 hd500) was really good, but I wanted to go smaller.
I bought a snark clip on tuner (my tuner pedal started gapping out) and brought my noise gate home from the jam space.
Lastly, I stumbled upon a canadian site that sold mooer products and after watching the reviews online, I ordered the '015 - Brown Sound' as it was on sale! The description says its modeled after mk1 5150 so Hells Ya I wanted it.

I've jammed with it for about 1 hour so far (shift work) and I'm very happy with it!

I plugged my '96 Ltd Explorer with 85/60 into it, tweaked the 2 channels (blue/red) and started grinding out some black metal \m/ (I just rejoined my old black metal band Empyrean Plague).
I don't think it needs a boost/TS with this setup at all.

This sweet baby has a much nicer clean channel than my real 5150. The knobs actually seem to be more responsive in their respective B/M/T zones. If the 5150 clean is dead sounding, the Mooer clean is alive.

The pedal saves your settings and you can then switch to the red channel and tweak that. Then back and forth you go between clean and dirt / blue and red. Very cool.

I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with my real 5150, but it sounds really awesome, and very close to my ears. A couple of tweaks on the B/M/T knobs and I was right where I wanted to be tone-wise.

I will bring the pedal to my jam space and stick it in the loop of my 5150 and compare them at some point. This is where the live-backup-system comes into play. The whole system fits on my small pedalboard. I need a better enclosure for my power-amp obviously!

For my death metal sound, I'll just add my behringer hm300 / Ibanez RGA8 and we're good to go. I will be trying that asap.

I have not tried the cab sim.

The previous setup : https://i.imgur.com/igDh7Ou.jpg

Last edited:

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Nice! Very frugal, yet brutal rig.

One thing to mention about that power amp, if you decide to put it in a nicer enclosure, I’d either not use a metal box, or if you do, make sure the speaker output is isolated, as from what I remember, the sleeve of the speaker output doesn’t like to be grounded.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score
Sweet rig! What is the power amp? Enough of you guys are using this thing I've got to give it a try. (though I should probably use up the sleeve of lm384s I bought first)

I play music

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I discovered (from another awesome pedal-building thread on here) the $5 '100watt' micro power-amp. I ordered a few from ebay. The amp runs on 12V and so far is very clean sounding, and was only slightly warm to the touch after jamming for an hour or so.
Can you link that thread or tell us a bit more about it please?

Jacksonluvr636

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice. Also very curious about that power amp.

$5? Dang, I just spent $150 on a Quilter I would resell.

crwnedblasphemy

all things metal!
Reaction score
i have the 005 which i like a lot. been curious of the 015, but limited clips online. i kinda been wanting a 5150 again, haven’t owned one since 2004, but like you don’t want to lug around something as i am an at home player now. Also interested in the 017 as the recent youtube clip sounded damn good

crwnedblasphemy

all things metal!
Reaction score
I have the 015 incoming. Hope it is close to peavey tones. already own the 005(which is a great pedal), was gonna grab the 012, or the 017, but wanted the 015 first. Hearing clips of the 012, the cleans and drive sound good. Damnit Mooer....make me spend more money. hahaha

Bentaycanada

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I’m back on the hunt for a used 005, and then I’d like to try a 017 or 015 also.

The first time I played a 005 + Baby Bomb it was insane. Every time I looked away from the rig, I forgot I wasn’t playing a real amp!

I play music

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have the 015 incoming. Hope it is close to peavey tones. already own the 005(which is a great pedal), was gonna grab the 012, or the 017, but wanted the 015 first. Hearing clips of the 012, the cleans and drive sound good. Damnit Mooer....make me spend more money. hahaha
Btw, did they change the name of the 012? I thought it was Fried Mien but looks like it's cold US Gold now ...

LeftOurEyes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Btw, did they change the name of the 012? I thought it was Fried Mien but looks like it's cold US Gold now ...

They changed the name like a month or 2 after it came out because of threat of lawsuit. I almost got one when it was still the Fried Mien.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I noticed it was called the Fried Mien in some places, and US Gold in others. I guess the US Gold name was ultimately chosen because Friedman said no. :lol:

I play music

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
They changed the name like a month or 2 after it came out because of threat of lawsuit. I almost got one when it was still the Fried Mien.
I noticed it was called the Fried Mien in some places, and US Gold in others. I guess the US Gold name was ultimately chosen because Friedman said no. :lol:
So that's probably why I didn't find a list of what those preamps are trying to model. For the first 10 preamps they published the original amps that served as inspiration I think (?)

buriedoutback

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Today at band practice I tried out 2 setups.
1. 015 > FX Rtn of my 5150/mesa
2. 015 > FX Rtn of ibanez SS head/marshall

I only had a few minutes to mess around with 1, but my other guitar player used 2 for the whole band practice.
1 - for some reason I got a ton of hum and buzz. The power where we jam really sucks so maybe thats it. Once I turned up the volume and started chugging, I smiled. It sounded awesome. With the B/M/T set to about 6/6/6 it was a bit brighter than I expected, but was full-on 5150. When I get another chance, I'll sort out the buzzing noise.
2 - Now, at the moment, my other guitarist is using a duncan-designed pickup in an ibanez gio into an ibanez head into a decent marshall cab ... the result here wasn't a great tone, but it certainly sounded 10X better than the ibanez head by itself. Once he kicked in the HM300 chainsaw pedal, it was pretty awesome.

So far so good! I'm definitely going to be bringing this pedal along to shows in case my main rig takes a shit. Definitely worth the $137

I play music

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If you want more than 3 of the micro preamps, the preamp live might be interesting as it allows you to use any of the amp sims + has XLR out, you can use your own IRs etc. http://www.mooeraudio.com/?product/201806054331.html

buriedoutback

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
We're discussing that unit over here btw
Looks like it's going to be awesome. I'm reeeeally close to purchasing one (when it comes out).
My previous plans were the Mooer Radar + Diezel VH4 pedal or a Mooer single preamp pedal