NPDx2 - The addiction is real

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by curlyvice, Mar 4, 2016.

1. curlyvice

curlyvice SS.org Regular

So my pedal binge continues. I'm still waiting for my DD-500 to show up so I picked up these two pedals to tide me over. I'm in a cover band, an alternative rock band and I got asked to join a country/rock outfit so my pedalboard needed some expanding.

[​IMG]

I'm barely playing metal anymore so I needed a different drive alternative and the EHX Crayon fit the bill. I'm overwhelmingly surprised at how damn good this thing sounds! I've only really had TS style OD's in the past and this has opened up a whole new spectrum of sounds.

I think eventually I'll pick up a Timmy or something similar, but bang for your buck the Crayon is ridiculously good. I've been using it with the volume at 2 o'clock, drive at 9ish o'clock, and bass and treble around 1-2 o'clock. If you roll back the bass you get a really good treble booster kind of sound.

[​IMG]

I haven't had fuzz pedal for a few years, and I really disliked the Little Big Muff I previously had so I was initially thinking of going for a Fuzz Face style pedal, but this was 25% off at the store so I plugged it in and was blown away at it's versatility. It can go from smooth to grindy, and light fuzz to over the top, wall-shaking sustain. Eventually I will pick up an FF style fuzz (so feel free to recommend options), but this has got me satisfied for now.

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Pedal addiction eh?

[​IMG]

Nice one. Sweet scores overall. :yesway:

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

^ this man is the expert on pedal addiction

Nice scores :yesway:

4. curlyvice

curlyvice SS.org Regular

Oh, I know. I have my eye on some Strymon's thanks to him....And I didn't even know about Free The Tone until seeing his posts.

5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

You need help :yesway:

6. curlyvice

curlyvice SS.org Regular

There's no stopping me. I just messaged a guy about a used Big Sky:lol:

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Sweet haul :yesway: and the Big Sky is definitely worth it!

8. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

You know, your pedal binge had started similarly to my own:

I was in a similar boat as well. Having quit metal, but then expanded to other bands and genres, getting a bunch of pedals was the natural path to take (well before new guitars and amps etc... that happens later). And OD pedals are usually the start.

Glad you chose the Crayon as your drive of choice for versatility. The more you experiment with different boxes, you start appreciating each one and their little nuances.

And yeah, you'll love the Bigsky. Midi will obviously be the next step. ;)

9. TruckstopChuckie

TruckstopChuckie SS.org Regular

How do you like the Crayon? Is it suppose to be some sort of Xotic AC/RC clone?

10. downburst82

downburst82 SS.org Regular

Ya the addiction is real for sure...im at about one a month. Lately I've been trying to do more trades and move stuff that's not really being used.

I've been on a fuzz kick myself and have picked up a Devi Ever Rocket (AWESOME) and a Jhs Mini Foot Fuzz (sounds great but not fuzzy enough...almost more distortion'y). I've been really wanting to try the smaller version of the way huge swollen pickle (dirty donna edition). :yesway:

11. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Congrats man. I have the DD-500 now and it's a really useful pedal. I don't have a full grasp of all it's functions, but it can cover a lot of ground (which is why I got it).

I sit here and watch JP get crazy pedals every few weeks, wondering how he does it :lol:.

Re: big sky, it depends on if you want 1 big reverb pedal with a bunch of options, or 2 or 3 smaller pedals with a bunch of options. I have magically ended up in the latter camp (I have 4 reverb pedals).

12. curlyvice

curlyvice SS.org Regular

I really like the Crayon. I already have an MJM Phantom Overdrive for my TS style boost, so I was looking for something a little different and it's been great. I have it set up to boost the bass and highs slightly and it's very fat and dynamic.

People have been speculating online as to what it is actually a clone of, some are saying Xotic AC, which I think is probably the closest, but the Crayon has a it's own vibe, in a good way.

13. Zeno

Zeno SZ Hunter

You'll love that Swollen Pickle, HNPD man - it's the best fuzz I've ever tried, myself. Beats out the Muffs and Fuzz Faces easily. And don't forget, there's two more controls inside it~

14. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

I pick up 3 or 4 a year and I thought I was bad... :lol:

I just saw the Crayon pedal on a website a little while ago and was curious as to how it would sound as a boost. Sadly (or lucky for me depending on how you look at it), the local store doesn't have any in to try.