NPD: Mr. Black Supermoon

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
E5696C48-4103-462D-BAC2-240714CB5E28.jpeg
I’ve been wanting one of these for a long time. As many of you know, I’m a reverb addict; if I’m not playing black metal or death metal, then it’s reverb/delay drenched cleans and shoegaze type stuff.

I already have an EQD Afterneath and a TCE Hall of Fame 2. I wanted something that offered modulation but could also be set to more normal reverb sounds.

The Supermoon is awesome in that regard. The “Sway” knob, when turned all the way off, makes the modulation go away so you can have a pure reverb sound; as large or small as you want. As you turn it up…things get interesting.;)

The more sway you dial in, the more unpredictable it becomes. It pitch shifts both up and down (pretty slowly), and seems to have a mind of its own, which is awesome because then it sounds more natural. IMO, when the swells of modulation effects become too identifiable on the starts/stops, they lose their musicality and sound too programmed. The Supermoon sound is like being on a boat riding massive ocean swells — it can start subtly, then increases in intensity until you feel like the boat is going to capsize— and then the sea is calm again. /lol. It’s super fun to play with it.

I’ve been blending it with the Afterneath and HOF II for some really cool textures— not with everything maxed, but dialed to let each pedal share its unique flavor.

The only disappointing aspect of it so far is it seems to suck volume. When I activate it, the volume drops significantly. Not sure what’s going on with that, but it’s easy enough to turn up the volume on the amp a bit or hit it with my OD pedal. Otherwise it is very noiseless and has a high-end sound— nothing digital or artificial sounding at all. Thanks for stopping by.:)

Attachments

• 963B287D-EB65-432A-BBF3-2D92075DE2E9.jpeg
    963B287D-EB65-432A-BBF3-2D92075DE2E9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Nice. I love my Supermoon. I love its tonality.

I have a solution for the volume issue. Just leave it on all the time.......just kidding, but in all seriousness that is how I use it. I use it with a fairly mild setting for full time ambiance.(Decay at 12 o'clock, and Sway at 11, Reverb at 9)

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Nice. I love my Supermoon. I love its tonality.

I have a solution for the volume issue. Just leave it on all the time.......just kidding, but in all seriousness that is how I use it. I use it with a fairly mild setting for full time ambiance.(Decay at 12 o'clock, and Sway at 11, Reverb at 9)

Would you say you’ve also noticed a drop in volume when it’s turned on? I just want to know if that’s normal for the pedal. When I play on the clean channel, for sure I’ve got some reverb running at all times, lol. I usually turn it off for distorted sounds though, unless I’m playing leads.

Spazilator

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Happy NPD! I am a lover of reverbs as well. I robably do t need as many as I have, but my favorites are the Walrus Audio Slö and the Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star. I love my Afterneath but the Slö just has the right amount of space for me to play in, and the Dark Star does some amazing things- I highly recommend you check them out. I’ll often times use them both simultaneously and if done right it won’t wash out your signal completely but you can still get lost in a lush alien atmosphere!!

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Would you say you’ve also noticed a drop in volume when it’s turned on? I just want to know if that’s normal for the pedal. When I play on the clean channel, for sure I’ve got some reverb running at all times, lol. I usually turn it off for distorted sounds though, unless I’m playing leads.
I've never really noticed a volume difference in my application. I'll check next time I use it.

Gmork

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Another reverb lover here! Adore my obne darkstar and psch ripple. I've always wanted to try the super moon or blood moon! Hnpd!

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had my Supermoon, Afterneath, Hall of Fame 2, and Flashback Delay all going at once this morning.;)

Perfectly useless for any single note clarity, but with my volume pedal the swells were unbelievable. I think I may have started the formation of a black hole, unfortunately. Sorry.:D

guitar_player4_2_0

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used to think I hated reverb for some stupid reason. Now I pretty much always use it to some extent. Sounds dry and stiff without it IMO. Sounds like a good one, congrats!