NPD: Mooer Preamp Live

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Spinedriver, Nov 1, 2019.

1. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

With all the talk of the BluGuitar & Helix Stomp & whatnot, I thought I'd just chime in to say that after a week it's a pretty impressive unit for the price. For me, the VHT Pitbull and Randall Satan are two of the standouts so far. I haven't run it into an amp/poweramp but going direct into my audio interface, it was exactly what I was looking for.

I would have really liked to pick up a Helix Stomp but it's 1) just too expensive for my budget and 2) I was only really looking for amp sims & didn't want/need all of the effects. I also looked at the GE-200 and Hotone Ampero but after a bit more research, I remembered the Preamp Live and apparently, they doubled the list of available amps since it first came out. I found one for a decent price and was not disappointed. For metal tones, there are literally more amps to choose from than there are available patches.

Some of the good points are:
    -13 available boost/dist pedals (pre-gain) and 2 post for volume boost
    -10-12 available slots for loading irs without having to overwrite the stock ones.
    -Pre AND post noise gates (which work really well)
    -10 power amp sims vs the 4 that are available in the Radar.
    -There's 104 different amps (clean to high gain) to pick from (which is even more than the Pod X3)
    -The fx loop can be set to either serial or parallel.
    -It has 2 switches so you can turn the cab sim on/off for both the 1/4" and XLR outs.

Some of the 'not-so' impressive things would be:
    -It really could stand to use more than 12 memory banks given how many amps there are.
    -Seeing how Mooer makes the Radar, they should have included the eq section to help 'fine tune' the ir loading.
    -There's no way to change the amps without either connecting it to a pc or using the app.

Overall though, for the price of 3 or 4 of the mini pedals, you absolutely get your money's worth.

[​IMG]

2. Ozzfest

Ozzfest SS.org Regular

To change the amps out and replace to 12 different ones or do you mean something else?

Anyways congratulations and I wanna hear brutal tones!

3. Spinedriver

With with 'normal' modelers (ie: L6 Pod, Zoom,etc..) they have knobs and a screen to edit patches. With this, there's neither a screen nor a knob to change the "amp" you're using unless you have the editor running. In addition, you may want to have some tape or something to write on because although the 3 banks are identified by color (red, green & yellow), there's nothing to tell you which amp is loaded into the patch you saved.

For example, if in Bank A, you saved a JCM800, 5150 III, VHT Pitbull and PRS Archon in each of the available patch slots, you kinda have to remember where you saved each one because only the indicators on the pedal are the lights on the parameter knobs (bass, gain, etc..) and the footswitches. There's nothing to tell you what amp you're currently using unless you have the app/program open. The good news is that it does have bluetooth, so devices to connect pretty quickly.

Ozzfest likes this.
  4. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

Congrats, I've just got one to run as an onstage back-up to the GE300, I'm midi switching it to keep in step as it has all the same amp models.

Spinedriver likes this.
  5. Spinedriver

That's what I thought too but for whatever reason (at least according to the manual), the Marshall JVM and 2525 that are in the GE-300 aren't included in the Preamp Live, which was kind of a let down because I was looking forward to trying them.

6. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I'm enjoying the Mark amp sims (JP2C, Mark III, IV, and V) and the various Marshall and boutique Marshall modded based amps. The Mark sims mostly sound great (I don't have much use for the Mk III Deep Clean, but I might try it sometime with a boost pedal in the unit) and the Marshally stuff is pretty good. Both are great for doing 70s/80s stuff. I didn't spend any time with the Randall and VHT sims, though. Might check em out sometime.

@Spinedriver you should email them asking for the EQ like in the Radar. Anyone else wanting it should email them too. Might push them further towards doing such.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Spinedriver likes this.
  7. McBrain

McBrain SS.org Regular

I run my MPL through a Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M and the eq makes all the difference. Before I got the C.A.B. M I found it really hard to dial out the woofy low end, that many of preamps have. I just wish the C.A.B. M had midi like the old version, so the IR's and eq settings could follow the preamps. I also have it connected to my L6 Powercab 112 Plus and switch speaker models with midi. Works perfect and was really easy to set up. I love that the MPL can have different cab models on the same preset via midi when you activate/deactivate the boost.

I've seen a few examples of hardware issues on facebook, but haven't experienced anything myself in the year or so that I've had mine. It says on the back of the unit that you can run it on either 9 or 12 volt. I quickly ditched the factory wall wart and power it from my Cioks at 9v. Don't know if that makes a difference or if I've just been lucky. Anyone considering getting one new should buy it from a store they trust.

My point is that the MPL can sound really really good with a little help. An eq pedal in the loop would probably be enough for most people, but I also found that my IR's just sounds better through the C.A.B. M and I also by far prefer Two Notes power amp emulation but YMMV.

8. Spaced Out Ace

I'll try the Cab M even though it was meant for the A board. Anyways, if people email Mooer about the EQ section of the Radar being added to the Mooer Preamp Live, they might do it.

9. Spinedriver

I agree. Out of all of the irs that I've loaded into it, I think pretty much all of them sound better with the power amp emulation off. For some reason, all of the "EL" power tubes make everything sound really dark and the "6**" power tubes are a bit brighter but very mid-rangey. Without and onboard eq to tame those a bit, I just leave 'em off.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Be careful setting up a sound with the power amp emulation on, and then going, "Eh, screw it, I'll just turn it off." I find that the volume typically jumps up really loud. Then again, I run the bias or whatever for the power amp emulation on the Preamp Live really low. Around 5-8 usually. The bias seems to (from the little bit I've screwed with it, as I tend to keep it low) increase the volume. I run bias low and the preamp (in the unit, not the master volume on the face of the pedal) pretty high, around 15-19.

The Two Notes CAB M power amp, EQ, and cab/mic emulations are really good.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  11. Spaced Out Ace

The Mooer Radar's EQ section definitely helps to dial in the power amp/cab/mic section so it doesn't get so boomy. It also adds some clarity, etc. to the mids, upper mids, and treble. I think the Mooer Preamp Live will go from 4/5 stars to 5/5 stars when they add the EQ portion to the "cab" section in the Mooer Preamp Live app. Hopefully they'll add it in the next update, because the Preamp Live has quite a few more power amps. Unfortunately, you can't bypass the cabs and still use the power amps from the MPL, then bypass the power amp and use the cab/mic/EQ on the Radar.

12. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

That's good to know, I'm currently looking at ways to tidy my board and that might help.

13. McBrain

McBrain SS.org Regular

No wait ... on the back it says 12V, but in the manual it says 9V-12V DC 1A. However, I read somewhere, that the power consumption is actually around 600 mA. Anyway ... I've been running it at 9V 660 mA for 6 months now, so I think it's safe to say that it doesn't need 12V 1A.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  14. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

I'm looking at this to run with my amt tube cake into a celestion Lynch back. Is there a way to turn off the cab and power amp simulation?

15. Spaced Out Ace

Yeah. Flip switch on the Preamp Live off. (There are two toggle switches; turn both off.)

jclogston and Spinedriver like this.
  16. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

I wonder if buying one or two of the micro preamps would be better than getting the MPL if I plan to run into my amt tube cake and 1x12", therefore not needing the cabs and amp simulation?

17. Spaced Out Ace

Depending on how good of a deal you can get and whatnot, 1-2 micro preamps will be $100-200, but the Preamp Live will be $400 for about 97 preamp simulations. A lot of them are pretty good.

18. Spinedriver

That is true but keep in mind the unit can only store 12 'patches' at a time.

It kinda boils down to if someone knows for sure they only want one or two specific ones, then they may just want to get those & save some cash. If they aren't sure which ones to get, it'd totally be worth it to get the Preamp Live because you literally get all of the pedals in the series plus a whole bunch more.

19. Spaced Out Ace

12 is more than 1-2, is it not? Or even 4 (4 micro preamps would cost $400).

Spinedriver likes this.
  20. Spinedriver

True but each pedal has 2 'modes' either clean & od or od & clean, so technically, if you bought 4, you'd have 8 diff't settings.

Also, when you look at the PAL it's not immediately clear how many patches/presets there are, so I was just putting it out there for those that might not know.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.