NPD - LWA Doorstop (Model T style distortion)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Blasphemer, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

Pics first:

Doorstop.jpg
    2019-12-18 15.17.58.jpg

I've wanted one of these for a while. I'm pretty huge on the model T vibe, and I wanted something in a pedal format which I could use in front of one of my smaller amps when my actual model T would be too big/loud/awesome to use effectively. Well, back in September Joe put these on sale for a decent discount. I pulled the trigger and then the waiting started.

As some of you may know, LWA was using a certain pedal parts company to custom make all of his pedal enclosures (I want to say it was Mammoth?). A few weeks after I ordered the Doorstop, they suddenly cut off all custom orders, announcing that they wouldn't be doing custom painting from that point on. This apparently kind of boned a bunch of smaller builders, and Joe was one of them. Due to this, my wait time for this pedal stretched from 3 weeks to 3 MONTHS. I've been patient, and it finally arrived today.

Build quality is good. Everything feels sturdy and well-made. A quick look on the inside revealed a slightly messy wiring job, but it's realistically better than I could do, so no real points off for that. Controls are a little strange to get used to, but work as they should. When I say strange to get used to, I mean things like the midrange selector knob has 5 positions, whereas the 2nd gen model T only has 3. I'm going to put this through an analyzer when I get a chance to really see what frequencies are being affected. Also, I'm still getting my head around the Both switch. It seems that the bright knob is always on, and the Both switch turns on the normal mode and adds a 2nd gain stage.

LWA stated that this pedal specifically isn't a preamp, but rather a Sunn style distortion to be used in front of a clean amp. It excels doing this, and sounded killer both in front of my Weber Sunn clone and my actual model T (very meta, I know). I haven't gotten a chance to try it in front of the Roadster, yet. I did, however, use it into the power section of my model T, and even though it's not made to act as a preamp, it was pretty kickass. The controls even felt a little bit more amplike in that configuration.

It sounds HUUUUUGE when coupled with the Life Pedal, and even sounded awesome with an HM-2 in front of it. I hope to make some demos soon, probably after the holidays.

I haven't had a whole lot of time with it, but overall it's a great mid-gain style cruncy distortion.

Necky379 likes this.
  2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Are you sure? Because the brite knob literally has an arrow pointing to the "both" switch :lol: seems kind of counter-intuitive if it's really the way you've written it. Also because, IMO as someone who also plays though a Model T pedal (mine is Electronic Audio Experiments preamp though), you want to form your base sound in the normal gain area and then feed in the brite until you hit the sweet spot. I never play it with the normal gain turned down farther than the brite gain.

Mid selector seems pretty interesting though. Mine doesn't have that

3. Blasphemer

Blasphemer Bird Law expert

100%, actually. Your post made me really mess around with the normal/bright knobs, and changing the normal knob makes no difference in gain or tone until the both footswitch is on. The bright gain is the one that works in both settings.

vilk likes this.
  4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

OK I believe you now! It's just weird!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019