NPD- I tried 3D printed picks

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by redstone, Dec 30, 2015.

1. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Just a shortfeedback for those interested... so I wanted to experiment some weird custom pick shapes and wondered how well it would work with all those online 3D printing shops. A few days later, I finally received my first try from sculpteo.

[​IMG]

Pros : the level of details is very good even though it wasn't a "ultra high details" type of plastic. The edges are more precise than they look on the picture, and everything is perfectly smooth. I don't feel the different layers of printing at all. Also, that plastic although basic seems quite resistant.

Cons : It's still expensive. The pick, made of the cheapest plastic, is hollow and costs about 12€. Great for prototyping but wouldn't buy one every month. Maybe the durability is good enough to justify the process. Also, that plastic is very, very slippery and sounds as cheap as it is. There are better plastics for the job but then you can multiply the cost by 3.

Verdict : if you have some unusual ideas, or you simply want a super luxurious pick in titanium/platinium/etc and don't care about the price, I think it's a great way to get exactly what you want. Picks in STL files are easy to design with, let's say, sketchup. As for me, I'll probably try more in the near future.

Feel free to share your own experiences...

Ruins, ferret and HoneyNut like this.
  2. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Regular

Wow, that's a cool experiment! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I was hoping to read that it went superb, but I guess it's not cost effective.

3. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

It's not that bad. If you're very happy with your prototype, you can use it as a mold to make cheap picks with more traditional methods and materials. 3D printing is probably the best way available to experiment... but it still not fast and cheap enough for mass production.

4. Mehnike

Mehnike SS.org Peruser

While I've never found myself to be dissatisfied with the standard picks on the market, I am glad to see experimentation with 3d printing. I printed a few ABS protos of bridges and nuts earlier this year. A college I attended had a couple high end 3d printers and I did come across some picks that were printed in the "random bits and pieces" drawer but never got to try them. Was your print of ABS or PLA? Would like to hear back about how your pick wears over time.

5. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Good question, I don't know wait, silly me, it's.. made of PA, hence why there are no layers. I'll also try to print a bridge soon, with lots of racks and pinions, will be fun!
    By the way, speaking of bridges, did you try to print some small threads (under 3mm diameter)?

6. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

Bump, I'm gonna try shapeways this time. Polished plastic, metal plastic, acrylic, polished bronze steel. The pick is still hollow, which makes thick metal picks rather cheap. This one is 3mm thick and I gain 45% on materials. Not that much expensive than a dugain, sometimes less. The acrylic version is cheaper than my 3mm gravity stealth. But it won't be polished..

https://www.shapeways.com/product/TGZXT6VJK/