NPD: Elysian Trident II

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Iron1, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

I've been chasing a tone from my '91 Ibanez 540SLTD for years. The guitar is naturally bright and since I don't write "bright" it's always not set well with me. It came with the IBZ/USA (essentially a Tone Zone) which just wasn't... I then swapped in a Dimarzio Super Distortion, which really didn't sound much different. Then I jumped to Seymour Duncan and went with an Invader, figuring I could have options based on pickup height. It got me much closer to what I wanted, but then didn't mix well with my other guitars in recordings.

[​IMG]

After over a year of wanting one, I broke down and bought a Black Winter a few months ago. I had it in hand less than 30 minutes before it was installed and I was dialing in tones... and was so overwhelmingly disappointed with it that I figured I needed to sell it and replace it asap.

Since the Elysian Trident II was on my short list, I reached out to Adam at Elysian Pickups and he hooked me up with a great deal on a hand wound Trident II.

It took a minute to get here, but was well worth the wait so far. And, talk about perfect timing for a new toy - right when all the shelter-in-place stuff is coming down. What? You want me to sit in my house and play guitar for 15 days? :yesway: I'm on it! :lol:

[​IMG]

The package was opened all of about .3 seconds before I had the soldering iron out and went to work on the 91 540SLTD to get the Black Winter out and the Elysian in. The guitar fought me a bit (stripped one the 29 year old pup screws and had to scrounge in my guitar parts drawer for another) but once I got it in, I did a quick eyeball height adjustment then ran it thru a 5150 preset I'd made in my HX Stomp for my KM6.

Right away I knew I made the right choice.

I only had a short amount of time to play o day one after defeating the evil stripped screw monster, but got up early yesterday to set the pup height and find another preset for it in my Stomp. I landed on one I have for my Jackson Franken7 I built to go with the Dimarzio Imperiums with the Uber and a Mesa v30 cab.

The Elysian jumped up several notches of "wow that's sick!" with the different preset. Really digging it and wish I'd grabbed one of these before the Black Winter... but now I know. One of my buddies heard it and said "Wow - that's cutty!" Which is a great description. It occupies it's own unique space in the mix and does it front and center without overwhelming the sound field.

Even though it took me a while to finally pull the trigger on this, it left me wondering why more people don't buy these instead of going the 'tried and true' SD/Dimarzio route or opting for the flavor of the month, overpriced boutique pickup.

This was in the pup case, and was really informative. If you haven't read it, check it out:

[​IMG]

Here's a quick, not so well played soundbite:

Soundcloud: Elysian Trident II test

Bobo and KnightBrolaire like this.
  2. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

Congrats!

Trident IIs have very complex mids and they slay for leads. For rythms you might want to scoop the mids a little in your amp to open them up.

Iron1 likes this.
  3. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Congrats! I love my tII set as well as my hellfires. Actually got elysians in all my guitars and don't regret selling my lundgrens and bare knuckles at all.

Iron1 likes this.
  4. Iron1

How would you say the Hellfires compare to the TIIs? I'm about to pull the trigger on a set for my KM6, but am considering the Hellfires instead of the TIIs, just for some variation.

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Hellfires are much higher output, bigger low end, a bit thicker sounding overall. Still pretty versatile set ime. I have DIs and clips/a demo vid if you're interested.

Iron1 likes this.
  6. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

What he says :)
    The hellfire is louder. More output. More bass. Less treble which is easy to compensate on the amp of course. The most important difference is in the mids.

There's a good comparison clip of both pickups on the elysian homepage

Iron1 likes this.
  7. Iron1

Yeah, definitely interested.

Cool, thanks. Pretty sure I've watched/listened to the clips on their site, but IIRC it didn't seem apples to apples, like different riffs/amps or some such. But, that was awhile back. I'll go check it out again.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

DI link is in the description.
    other clips:
    mk3 cleans : https://app.box.com/s/hqcj78ag90rlbqoiygrog3py7mvk7n4x
    mk3 drop c riffage: https://app.box.com/s/bl8l42qztn8z4ulncrzp3ld87phv8wi7
    mk3 d standard riffage: https://app.box.com/s/y0hfeo9bhr9sw41ccb96ssgmxxy56pyd
    more mk3 riffage in drop c/dstandard/agcfad:https://app.box.com/s/y0hha4zm40jcqu09kphh9c7416c3canu
    FSM riffage: https://app.box.com/s/9w0zfzw7d1y7xwv74j3qiv04skxd9hpd

Iron1 likes this.
  9. BrutalRob

BrutalRob SS.org Regular

Actually that clip i mentioned is the same riffs with both pus, so it's apples to apples

10. Iron1

Good stuff as always, brutha. Really love how they clean up in the beginning of the video.

Yeah they are, I went back and listened again - I'd say your description upstream is dead on, too. Time to sell something so I can buy a Hellfire set, I'm thinking.