NPD: Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by BenjaminW, Jul 21, 2021.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Got an NS-2 as a birthday present, and has been a much needed item on my board that I am glad to have received! Ever since I got my Marshall 2203, the noise has been extremely unbearable especially given that I am boosting the amp. I've also started to use my Strats in the last couple of months and those having standard single-coils is no help.

Luckily, Boss makes an excellent noise gate! Obviously there is still some noise coming from the amp especially when I have the lights on in the room, but beyond that, that's my only complaint.

Also want to give a shoutout to Rob L on YouTube for making a video on how to use this pedal more effectively in both the effects loop and in front of the amp, and I highly advise watching this video before you buy an NS-2 to further utilize it.

2BF1FD55-C434-4FAE-A26F-1ED3D2B32F98.jpeg

I know this isn't the most exciting NPD post, but I thought it would be something cool to share as this is both a life saver and a cure of some of my GAS.

2. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Happy NPD!

There's something satisfying about buying "utility" pedals/accessories that don't do "fun" stuff. Tuners, noise gates, isolated power supplies, ABYs, etc.

I get the same kick I get from spending money on nice tools.

laxu, TheWarAgainstTime and BenjaminW like this.
  3. guitar_player4_2_0

guitar_player4_2_0 SS.org Regular

Shiny! I’m used to seeing those beat to hell, I’m sure you’ll get years of use from it. Enjoy!

BenjaminW likes this.
  4. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Nothing at all wrong with the NS2. I ran my 5150 with it on all the time for about 10 years before making the digital jump. Running the loop/in/out is the way to go for sure. Not sure if your 2203 has a loop (I know the older ones didnt) but if it does that's the way to roll.

5. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Mine is the reissue with the loop. Running it in the loop and in front of the amp works wonders.

WarMachine likes this.
  6. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I love my NS-2. Set and forget and they just keep working.

- As far as your light problems I assume it's fluorescent lighting. Those are pesky. If part of your rig is plugged into a cheap power strip that could be a culprit for all kinds of noise. Plug into a good power stirp or straight to the wall. Also stand far away from the the lights if possible. Or stand in a dark corner when you jam and that might cure it. :lol:

7. WarMachine

+1. Also, unless you haven't tried it yet, slap a 9v battery in your pedal and see if that helps it. Those things are pretty picky about what type of power they get running through them.

8. WarMachine

Also about the power strip. It reminded me of a very funny story and it's a bit of a derail but may get a few laughs. I was probably about 18-19 and was getting ready to do my first legit show with original tunes. We were in my parents basment, running through the set and got to the last song. I was playing on a BC Rich NJ Beast, the first runs that came out (I...FUCKING....MISS...THOSE GUITARS!!) and i had a b or g string break. We just kept playing, i was reaching up higher on the fretboard to compensate on the leads. So we're jamming, killing it, and im headbanging hard enough to pop my head off and a feel a snag followed by a tug. Then sparks shooting every fucking where. My broken string had gotten into one of the outlets on a power strip haha. It's a wonder i didn't get my ass fried in a bad way. Needless to say i stopped playing when i realized what was going on lol. The string melted to the damn thing lol. Close call for sure.

[​IMG]

/rant
    Carry on..

wheresthefbomb and c7spheres like this.
  9. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Along the lines of utility purchases, I bought a Furman conditioned power supply and it was worth every single penny. Didn't make all the noise go away, but can be helpful with pesky building wiring issues.

BenjaminW and c7spheres like this.
  10. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I think the NS-2 is a great pedal. I use one 4CM with my 5150 III 50W and it works great. If anything, I think the sound is a little clearer with it in the chain. Not just less noisy, but a little clearer, like the buffers clear up the sound a bit.

BenjaminW likes this.