NPD (again): Dee Dubyahs

Discussion in 'Drums & Percussion' started by Randy, May 17, 2021.

1. Randy

Randy The Pusterienceā„¢ Super Moderator

Not trying to turn into George Kollias but I am playing more double kick stuff and refining my technique more. In doing that, I realized I'm a pretty heavily heel down player and the Axis Longboards felt funky for anything but heel up. I also have very limited space on my drum platform, so the longboard pedals felt cramped, I was stepping on the middle or top 1/3rd the the pedal 99% of the time.

Anyway picked these up. Exactly what I was after, chain drive, standard board, dead simple parts and single chain. So far I'm loving them.

IMG_20210517_131437633-01-01_resize_81.jpg IMG_20210517_131516596-01_resize_94.jpg

2. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

When in doubt blast it out :metal:

Ordacleaphobia and Randy like this.
  3. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

HNPD Rando- hope these stick better for ya than the AXIS set did. Tough to go wrong with the 5000s; definitely classics for a reason.

Randy likes this.
  4. Randy

Randy The Pusterienceā„¢ Super Moderator

Played these for a few weeks, don't miss the Axis at all so it's gone.

Got these playing 99.99% like the Axis with tweaking the settings and actually got a couple things I like a lot better. The direct drive vs chain seems to be kind of a net zero, I didn't find either to be appreciably better just different and not even that different tbh.

But the long vs short board is night and day. The short feels like three distinct different ways of playing depending on where you're stepping, the long felt kinda like one consistent level of feedback that you were fine tuning depending on where you stepped; I think that's mostly on account on its much more gradual slope.

The one thing I'll give the longboard credit for is that there's more areas on the pedal that yield enough leverage to strike the drum head with force. On the short board, most of the bottom half of the pedal, it's hard to overcome the spring tension (if you've got it turned up).

Wasn't getting along with the stock beaters, plus felts are bad for e-drum mesh. The felt so fluffy in their attack versus the plastic of the Sonic Hammers, and you had to lay into them too much to get that 'click'. I also didn't like how bulky and how much surface area they were spread out over.

Anyway, I got a set of the lightweight Gibraltar beaters and an Evans patch. The patch was to protect my drum head since felt is nasty on mesh. Tried the new setup, actually the new beaters are noticably heavier than the old but they're more focused. Still didn't get on with the felt tips so I 3d printed some plastic ones, much better :lol:

Forgive the potato pics, my office is like a cave.

IMG_20210528_231137005_resize_0.jpg IMG_20210528_231157190_resize_94.jpg

5. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

Whenever i see this thread i picture "Dee Dubyah" in my head as George W Bush with Dee Snider's haircut.

Ohh and nice kicks!

Randy likes this.