Now that BK's are $200 a pop what are people gravitating towards

Marked Man

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Suhr Pickups. Basically "Boutique" pickups without the Trendy price on them because they are not made from "Elfs hairs" and have all that crap manbo jambo "boutique shit" keeps writing. They are just Pickups that sound nice and cost what Pickups should cost.

But unicorn horn bobbins as used in booootique pickups really bring out the highs!

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with guitarmory since they shifted part of their product line to overseas though.
I can tell you from my experience it's been a nightmare. Waiting 6+ weeks to receive a set that wasn't properly fitted to a standard active route is not a good sign. Furthermore the pickup they delivered was noticeably larger than standard 7-string EMG/Fishman sets. It was also so deep that I would have had to route the body just so the pickup wouldn't hit the strings after installation. Not to mention the mysterious email drop off whenever you need something from them. I'm currently amidst a PayPal dispute where it seems like they picked up my package from USPS, but because it doesn't show "delivered", PayPal won't process a refund yet. I'd be wary of them going forward.

Meanwhile I ordered a set from Seymour Duncan, which they delivered in less than a week completely to spec as referenced on their site. I also ordered from Adam of Elysian, who delivered a properly fitted 7-string soapbar set in 6 weeks.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
I can tell you from my experience it's been a nightmare. Waiting 6+ weeks to receive a set that wasn't properly fitted to a standard active route is not a good sign. Furthermore the pickup they delivered was noticeably larger than standard 7-string EMG/Fishman sets. It was also so deep that I would have had to route the body just so the pickup wouldn't hit the strings after installation. Not to mention the mysterious email drop off whenever you need something from them. I'm currently amidst a PayPal dispute where it seems like they picked up my package from USPS, but because it doesn't show "delivered", PayPal won't process a refund yet. I'd be wary of them going forward.

Meanwhile I ordered a set from Seymour Duncan, which they delivered in less than a week completely to spec as referenced on their site. I also ordered from Adam of Elysian, who delivered a properly fitted 7-string soapbar set in 6 weeks.
Man that sucks to hear. The only problem I had with them was I bought a standard 7 string veteran bridge and an 8 string patriot bridge, which took something like 6 months to get them shipped to me. I get that they prob got swamped with orders and were shifting production, etc, but it was extremely annoying to wait that long for a simple order. I had to personally contact Adam, and he made sure my pickups got shipped out the next day.

I've also had some hiccups and delays dealing with Elysian as well over the years, but Adam has always made things right, and he's actually good at communicating. Both of those things are so damn rare in the guitar world ime.

My only experience with SD is that their custom shop sucks ass at communicating, but they'll deliver eventually. I ordered an 8 string set of black winters for a custom build and I had to wait something like 4 months back in 2016.

død

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Suhr Pickups. Basically "Boutique" pickups without the Trendy price on them because they are not made from "Elfs hairs" and have all that crap manbo jambo "boutique shit" keeps writing. They are just Pickups that sound nice and cost what Pickups should cost.
Fuckin’ this. Picked up a V60LP a couple of months ago, absolutely beautiful sounding neck pickup, and sounds mean as fuck when you crank up the gain. I’m realllly tempted to try out an Aldrich bridge at some point now.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only SD neck pickup I love is the '59N.

DiMarzio on the other hand has lots of great neck HBs. They are generally less sweet and more rounded on top. Sound fuller and more shred oriented to me, I really dig fast alt-picking and the pick attack rules bigly.

Well that's pretty predictable, since most SD "sets" have unique neck pickups in name only... almost all except DD/BW are PAF winds with one of 2 different mags (very occasionally a couple other ones). They DO have different winds... per the specs... but the +/- difference is less than the actual tolerance of new-in-box SD pickups vs. official specs, so I'm tempted to call BS on that.

DiMarzio otoh has actual unique pickup models for neck use.

JimF

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm glad someone else has spotted the BKP price hike. I thought it was just me!
One thing to bear in mind is that they're a UK company, and supply chains post-covid are wrecked. Also, the covid backlog and more importantly Brexit have shafted us big time. So perhaps the price increases are down to increasing costs. Tim's margin might be the same.
I've always fancied trying some BKP but I couldn't bring myself to try them when I already had pickups I loved.
I'm a huge SD Pegasus fan. The Nazgul is great but it can sound a bit harsh in some guitars, but the Pegasus just sounds "right". My tone is very similar to Ola Englunds so I'm planning on looking into his pickup choices pre Duncan Solar (Think they were the Custom, Custom 5, Custom Custom etc).
But I've got the Pegasus in 3 guitars, one 7 string tuned to Drop A, a 6 string tuned to Drop C, and a 6 string in standard, and I love them.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I also have a Duncan distortion 7 laying around I wonder if I swap the magnet to an Alnico 5 it would warm it up without killing the essence of what it is? I like that pickup but it's a bit harsh on upper register notes.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I also have a Duncan distortion 7 laying around I wonder if I swap the magnet to an Alnico 5 it would warm it up without killing the essence of what it is? I like that pickup but it's a bit harsh on upper register notes.
Alnico 8 might also be worth checking out. Just make sure it's a double thickness magnet.

hensh!n

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Man that sucks to hear. The only problem I had with them was I bought a standard 7 string veteran bridge and an 8 string patriot bridge, which took something like 6 months to get them shipped to me. I get that they prob got swamped with orders and were shifting production, etc, but it was extremely annoying to wait that long for a simple order. I had to personally contact Adam, and he made sure my pickups got shipped out the next day.

I've also had some hiccups and delays dealing with Elysian as well over the years, but Adam has always made things right, and he's actually good at communicating. Both of those things are so damn rare in the guitar world ime.

My only experience with SD is that their custom shop sucks ass at communicating, but they'll deliver eventually. I ordered an 8 string set of black winters for a custom build and I had to wait something like 4 months back in 2016.
Yeah it's a bummer. My guitar has very specific active routing, so if you're BKP for example and don't conform to the traditional EMG/Fishman route, then further routing will be required in order to get the pickups to fit.

For Elysian pickups, I cut Adam some slack since from what I understand, he's a one man show.

I haven't been able to get SD Custom Shop to respond to my emails at all (trying to order custom 7-string sets). Do you have any tips??? I put in a Duncan Custom recently and it sounds great for my tastes.

Jeffrey Bain

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Schecter Pickups are super legit, just depends on what you're looking for. Any of their custom shop tiered pickups are awesome IME.

KnightBrolaire

Grand Wiggle Wizard
Reaction score
Yeah it's a bummer. My guitar has very specific active routing, so if you're BKP for example and don't conform to the traditional EMG/Fishman route, then further routing will be required in order to get the pickups to fit.

For Elysian pickups, I cut Adam some slack since from what I understand, he's a one man show.

I haven't been able to get SD Custom Shop to respond to my emails at all (trying to order custom 7-string sets). Do you have any tips??? I put in a Duncan Custom recently and it sounds great for my tastes.
Yeah, here's a tip, don't order from SD custom shop.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Dimarzio has also been my fallback but after my fishman modern tosin set, I have those 2 choices now.

mrdm53

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fishman, but not Moderns. I love my KM8 set. Unfortunately they have to discontinue that series because Keith decide to not to be endorsed by them anymore for whatever purposes.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Well I decided to go with Mikes recommendation and I have Suhr Hot 7 incoming for the bridge. I found a brand new Air Norton 7 (I'm finding all sorts of shit lately) in one of my Pickup draws so I'll throw that in the neck. I couldn't find a Suhr Hot 7 neck, if I like the bridge enough I may get the match for it. I've listened to a couple of vids of the Alldrich through a Splawn and I think I may end up loving this pickup.

Last edited:

Alberto7

Silly Goose Engineering
Contributor
Reaction score
... So the feel factor is main from this perspective...
I think this is what it boils down to, for me.

For a listener, the pickup won't make that huge of a difference. At the end of the day, you can EQ any frequencies you want in or out of a mix/recording.

A pickup just makes me feel a particular way when I notice how it reacts to my playing. I play something and I expect to hear something in return, instantly. It's that transient sort of feedback that I think affects my judgement of a pickup.

... that's my running theory, at least.

Mura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I use Lundgren PU.
The M-series, a ruthless metal engine, is famous, but all the other PUs are great and Black Heaven is my favorite.

Also, I have ordered a PU from a Russian manufacturer called ARB Pickup and am waiting for it to arrive.
I can't say anything unless I actually use it, but as far as I can hear it on youtube etc., it seems to have a good sound.
The price is also very reasonable.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I loved the Dimarzio Titan set, but I know they’re not for everyone. I opted for the D-Activator bridge in my number 1, but I’ll be the first to admit I find it slightly bass heavy for b standard or lower. However there is a minor circuit mod one can do to improve tightness with passive pickups. I can’t remember exactly how to do it as it’s been 3+ years but it involves a resistor of a certain value.