Now is the time to lowball

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by bzhang9, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I don’t know where you’re seeing gear going for cheap. I’m seeing expensive stuff still selling for high prices. It’s not like a switch gets flipped. Try lowballing if you want, but we’re only a week and a half into people being out of work. I think we’ve got quite a bit of time before you see actual bargains. Same thing happened with the recession 10 years ago. Prices drop when the sellers dry up. Right now there are still plenty of people buying instruments. At least that’s what my watch list on the ‘verb shows.
    And there’s a way to be respectful about making an offer - low ball or not. Problem is people are dicks about low ball offers, and get belligerent with the seller. I don’t think I have any gear I want to sell so bad I’ll give it to an asshole who tries to berate me into selling it to him for a super low price.

2. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

That's what I'm trying to say. Wait a while, things might turn out bad in the coming months..

3. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

My reply was meant to be tongue in cheek!I 'm not really a seller unless it is a guitar I just can't gel with for some reason.

4. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I have to say that I ALWAYS look at money in gear as completely gone and written off anyway. If I sell a guitar I don't treat it as money back so much as extra money gained .

And, what is a low-ball offer in this day and age anyway? Are there special "pandemic rules" for low-balling?

5. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I have to say that I ALWAYS look at money in gear as completely gone and written off anyway. If I sell a guitar I don't treat it as money back so much as extra money gained .

And, what is a low-ball offer in this day and age anyway? Are there special "pandemic rules" for low-balling?

vilk, StevenC, aesthyrian and 2 others like this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

Tbh this is the best approach. The overwhelming majority of the time people are going to lose money when selling gear. Too many people think they'll be able to recoup most of their money regardless of what they're actually selling. I've been guilty of it myself more than a few times.

Omzig likes this.
  7. dmlinger

dmlinger SS.org Regular

I'm experiencing this first hand. Currently working on a build for a friend that he traded an S Prestige for. I have no need for the Ibanez so it is listed for sale at a stupidly low price (granted the hardware has some corrosion).

8. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

When people have to stay at home, I think they buy more music gear than usual as long as they are not running out of money. While music stores are running out of certain items. So I'm also not seeing prices going down now.

Hollowway likes this.
  9. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

S prestige? stupid low price?

TELL ME MORE.

aesthyrian, FILTHnFEAR, Soya and 2 others like this.
  10. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

This is why I list my stuff on ebay. $1 starting bid, no reserve, buyer pays actual shipping cost. Want to negotiate? Negotiate with the other bidders, not me.

11. Protestheriphery

Protestheriphery SS.org Regular

I agree. I've had most of my guitars and amps up on Reverb since October-no bites. On the other hand, I managed to sell off a bunch of pedals. If it was worth my time, I would let go of my PRS Custom 24, and downgrade to something I wouldnt mind getting dinged. Not gonna happen though. There's oceans of PRS listings priced to move that have been rotting for months.

12. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

You don't need glasses to play!

13. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

I find the lack of Jackson professional warriors to "lowball" terribly disappointing.

14. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Honestly surprised there was no rush to liquidity.
    Per the reverb spam I am getting market picked up past 2-3 days.

15. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

I noticed that too. Its pretty low-key on CL TBH.

sirbuh likes this.
  16. Two Panthers

Two Panthers B8 Bomber

I didnt lowball, but I was offered $3300 flat out the door shipped w/case obviously for ESP CS, [and i tried to get it for 3250 but no go lol]

What’s interesting is so many banks like affirm, sychroncy, etc are offering no interest if paid within like 6 months, which is not bad at all....

If you default on the loan, who’s gonna come knock for a guitar when the country is losing houses and not paying any rent lol

But no, pay your bills guys

17. Two Panthers

Two Panthers B8 Bomber

Dude, the RG ART is like THE rarest, most sought after Ibanez, arguably SS there is.....check Jem site.com
    $6k is steep but not at all uncalled for or unheard of
    I’d KILL to get that

USMarine75 likes this.
  18. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Function of money supply outright and in the related markets.

Two Panthers likes this.
  19. FireInside

FireInside .Buried.Breathing.

In the past month I've sold my old Axe Fx Ultra, 6505+ stack, numerous pedals and pickups. My reverb store is solid at the moment. I've gotten exactly what I've asked for each piece of gear. Only a couple people tried low balling or offered to trade shitty gear. I just held out for the right deal. I'm sure some people are really desperate, especially if they aren't working, but it still feels like the used market hasn't fallen off much to me.

20. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

If I "low ball" somebody, it's usually because I believe their price is way too high.

I'm just honest anyways. I'll tell the seller this is what I have to offer, no worries if you can't meet my price.

The thing that bothers me is when I offered someone $135 for their pedal they had at $150, and they countered $142.50. Like dude, I get it. But, I wouldn't waste your time negotiating for a $7.50 discount. I'm asking because with shipping you're $165 for a used pedal I can buy new $179 shipped.

StevenC, Two Panthers and sirbuh like this.