ShiroNekoMusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello! I've started to record myself lately, mostly high end, palm muted stuff and I noticed that some notes have more low end and body than others, usually it happens nearby a note, for example, C sounds thin in the recording I'll upload here as a reference, and so does C# (obviously all of this happens while palm muting). I noticed this before, while just playing and not recording but since the recording days I've been getting quite obsessed these days with it. I thought the problem was my room acoustics and the reflexions but seems to happen while I record with a plugin, direct to my interface. I hate this effect and I want to fix this asap.

What should I do and what might cause the problem? Thank you in advance.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Everything has a resonant frequency. When the note is closest to that frequency, the whole guitar will vibrate more.

But leave the low end to the bass and kick drum.

ShiroNekoMusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here is the example I recorded. I'm sharing it in zip format, since this webpage doesn't allow me to upload MP3 format.

Attachments

• Prueba.zip
    526 KB · Views: 7

ShiroNekoMusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, in the mix I use a hi pass filter and it solves everything, but while playing alone it's quite annoying. I want to fix it badly!

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a very common problem, it has to do with resonant frequency, as mentioned above. Use a multiband compressor to solve the issue, use a band from 0 to ~200-300hz, and tweak the threshold and attack/release to your liking. The multiband compressor will lower the volume of a particular frequency range in proportion to the amplitude of that frequency range. In other words, you'll be able to duck the bass when there's too much of it, but keep it as is when there's a "normal" amount of it. You can also use a dynamic EQ for this.

ShiroNekoMusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you! It drives me insane when it happens, because it's a lot more pronounced in the room due to the lack of acoustic treatment, but first I'll try the compressor. Which one do you suggest and where should I put it in the signal chain?

nickgray

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which one do you suggest and where should I put it in the signal chain?

Any multiband compressor or dynamic EQ will do the trick. If you're using Reaper, it comes with a stock multiband compressor. As far as where to put it - either before or after the amp, just try both.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
It could also be partially related to technique - the more you "choke up" on a muted note, the more of your palm is touching the string and the further it extends inwards from the bridge, the thinner it gets. See: every djent song ever, vs Blackened. Keeping an eye on your muting technique might help a lot, you shouldn't have MASSIVE swings between one muted note and the next solely based on pitch (swings between muted and unmuted notes are pretty common).

ShiroNekoMusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do different mutings in different cases, depending on what the necessity is and the sound I want (for example, more open sound with more sustain or a percussive). I meant a guitar pedal, because I want to fix it too for my live sound and when I practice.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
i´m going off of the op. it doesn´t matter if you play through an amp and listen through the cab, or an amp sim and listen through monitors. the room acoustics still have their problems, so you´ll always have loud and quiet palm mutes on different notes. for this you´d need basstraps in your room.

if you still have this problem while using headphones, though, then sure, go with multi band compression and what not.

ShiroNekoMusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So if I try the amp in a different room the note that lacks bass might change? How does it affect when I record directly the guitar, straight to the interface?

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So if I try the amp in a different room the note that lacks bass might change? How does it affect when I record directly the guitar, straight to the interface?

when you record with guitar straight into the interface, it´s not effected at all. it´s just the way you hear it in the end is gonna be messy. that´s where studio headphones come in handy. they completely eliminate the problem of bad room acoustics. they have other short commings, sure, but it´s a good option for starters.

when you record with a miced up amp, it could pick up some of the room acoustics.

ShiroNekoMusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Then we can set that the room is not the problem. It happens when I record it directly so... it may be the wood? I wish I could solve this, it's super annoying while playing.

Sylim

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Then we can set that the room is not the problem. It happens when I record it directly so... it may be the wood? I wish I could solve this, it's super annoying while playing.

no wait, how are you listening to it? through monitors or headphones?