Notation advice

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by slowro, Jan 4, 2015.

1. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

I can read notation, I am really out of practice for speed but that's not my 'problem' I got an Al Di Meola book for Christmas and I want to work my way through it BUT

Without looking at videos how do you know what position to play the notes/chords in?

2. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

Trial and error. Ease of playing. Personal preference. Find a position where you can play most of the notes without moving around too much (until a position shift is needed) and work from there.

3. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

I suppose that's the beauty of guitar, a hundred ways to play the same thing

4. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

That is a major reason that I always encourage guitarists to learn how to read standard notation. Tablature is easy, because it's a literal graphic representation of the fretboard, but I frequently find things in tab form that I decide would be better to play a different way than written. Standard notation puts the burden entirely on the player, which forces them to be more conscious of what they're playing and where they're playing it. Violins, for example, use standard notation exclusively, but they still have to make choices about where any given note is played.

5. wespaul

wespaul Octaves of Manhattan

A lot of music books have fingerings written the notation, as well as the position (especially if it's optimal to bar something). See if that's the case. If not, it's like others have said, it's just a matter of personal preference. Common sense does apply, so if something seems more difficult than you think it should be, then see about shifting to a different string set. The more you force yourself to read, things will become more "intuitive" when it comes to sitting down with a fresh piece of music.

6. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

I am enjoying the challenge, it is showing how much I let slip after I left school. I've been so preoccupied writing my own stuff and noodling I forgot the fun of playing other people's songs

7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

One thing that hasn't been mentioned - Tone! I usually think about where on the board sounds best to me.