Not your typical Blackmachine copy...

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by DistinguishedPapyrus, Jul 22, 2019.

1. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

I love the look of Blackmachine guitars. Who doesn't? But, I dont want to build just a straight line for line copy of a guitar, so I'm making one with just one slight difference...

It''ll be almost exactly like the real deal. It's got the beautiful overall simplicity, the skinny hockey stick headstock, the subtle bevels, binding, thin body, simple electronics, bolt on construction... but just this one wee little detail that's different.

The body shape.

[​IMG]

I call it, the Kellymachine!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's just a novelty. A mash-up between two guitar shapes. I love the look of Blackmachines, and the body shape of the Jackson Kelly, so this was sort of a no brainer. I wanted to wait a little longer to post a proper thread about it but this build is exciting. I plan on doing it exactly like a Blackmachine but with the obvious difference of the body shape. Also, it's not quite like the Jackson Kelly, I re-worked the shape overall a little bit. Made the center line a little more symmetrical to the inner bouts, smoothed out a few areas too. The pics don't show it but it's a black cherry top over a swamp ash body, and an all wenge neck. I've got some parts coming in the mail to proceed on with the next few steps so, more to come when that arrives...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  2. Xk6m6m5X

Xk6m6m5X SS.org Regular

I feel the same way about ibanez necks and ml body. This is gonna be a sweet mashup

3. crackout

crackout The Yellow One

Cool concept.

4. DancingCloseToU

DancingCloseToU SS.org Regular

I can dig it.

5. Defyantly

Defyantly Aspiring Builder

It looks like your neck has a tumor! but seriously, cool design and i will be watching this build for sure!

6. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

[​IMG]

7. J_Mac

J_Mac SS.org Regular

Nice! Staying tuned.

8. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

I did almost no work on this guitar all of last year. It was a bad year, I'm sure many can relate... but nonetheless, onward and upward. Got back in the garage and made some more saw dust. I don't know what happened to the original pics nut here's where she's at today.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm proud of how this headstock came out. This was the part I wanted to get it spot on to a true Blackmachine, and I think I got it pretty close. There are a few differences for sure... I'm blown away and all the more impressed with this design after trying to replicate it. The point around the G and B tuners gets super thin, and I was freaked out about having the wood that thin there and supporting the weight of the other three strings above it so I actually made the headstock multi laminate stacked up like pancake slices, front to back. 4 layers of slightly off grain Wenge. It's super strong, Wenge plywood basically. I have a new found love for this shape though and I am already planning a second one.

Oh also the binding on the guitar is just cream plastic not pearloid like a real Blackmachine. I chickened out on that, never used pearloid but I'm ok at doing plastic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It'll be a little while before it's strung up, got some parts coming in the mail and I gotta try to get back at it and route the body cavities when I get a few days off.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Ribboz, foreright, FancyFish and 14 others like this.