"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
And even if there were theoretical engines with no limitations, you start bumping against the laws of physics when you start approaching 'c'. As much as I like the idea that we'll break that speed limit at some point, there's no scientific basis today to believe it's possible other than some weird string-theory level abstractions and some supposed dark-energy particles. I have a feeling since it's all based on the theoretical side of physics, we're more than my lifetime away from seeing it as a "someday soon" thing.

Ooh, now I've got a fun thing to do with all that free-time I don't have. How fast would a car have to run a quarter mile in order for the people outside the car to seem to have aged faster than the occupant as they ran it?
At constant speed or are we considering a relativistic acceleration from zero? How much does a group of people have to age before it's noticeable? I guess, more importantly, how long is the race? At 400 m, the most extreme case would be a particle at rest in the same inertial frame as the spectators instantly accelerating to the speed of light and then instantly stopping at the end. Then the spectators would age 1.3 µs more than the particle, so probably not very noticeable.

If you set up the Indy 500 around the Schwatzchild radius of a black hole, and then drove the car at the speed of light around the black hole for 800 000 m, you'd have a difficult time noticing the 3 ms difference in age, considering the fact that you'd be ripped apart by the tidal forces, the ridiculous amount of accelerating force, and then fall into the black hole at the end of the race.

But sitting and watching a NASCAR race, time does seem to stand still, almost as if nothing at all is happening, and hours can seem like weeks or even months. I wonder if any of Einstein's theories address that phenomenon. :lol:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
At what rate of acceleration would the car have to be travelling for it to appear as a blink of an eye to a human?

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At what rate of acceleration would the car have to be travelling for it to appear as a blink of an eye to a human?

This one guy tried to tell me that a blink was the fastest think he could think of. Another told me a thought was the fastest. Finally a third told me light was the fastest. They were all wrong; I found out the hard way it’s diarrhea. One time I had it so bad I ran to the bathroom and before I could think, blink, or turn on the light I’d shit my pants!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That depends on how far you can see and how fast you blink.

If you say the average person can see 5000 m and the average blink lasts 300 ms, then the car would have to accelerate from rest and cover 5000m in 300 ms. So, the car would have to accelerate at 111 111.111 m/s² to cover that much distance in the blink of an eye. That's a little over 10 000 g's, which would definitely destroy the car. In fact, that's starting to get a bit close to electron degeneracy pressure, which is the limit where the force is enough to rip electrons off of their atoms. So the car accelerating that fast would definitely at least vaporize. In the case where it's made of some miracle material, the driver would still vaporize from the g-force. The car would then be going over 33 km/s by the time it escaped your view had you not blinked. That's not much compared to the speed of light at 300 000 km/s, and not nearly as fast as the fastest man-made object at 190 km/s, but consider that that speed record was achieved by an object that accelerated to that speed over the span of over seven years.

Furthermore, consider that, to accelerate a 1200 kg car that much, you'd need to supply a force of 30 million pounds (15 thousand tons), or, energy amounting to 667 billion joules, or a power of 2.2 trillion watts. Considering the typical engine efficiency, it'd take at least 20 gallons of gasoline to burn that much rubber (not possible, since gasoline doesn't burn that fast anyway). Considering the power, that'd be like 30 nuclear power plants all feeding the same car in order to make it go, if you had a 100% efficient process of converting electricity into kinetic energy. Obviously, the wires supplying that much power all at once would vaporize.

Even if you could somehow manage to get it going and not destroy everything, you'd then have a car going way too fast to stop, in fact, it'd be going so fast that it would escape the Earth's gravity and fly off into outer space. In fact, it'd be going almost fast enough to escape the Sun's gravity by the time you blinked. If you kept your foot on the gas for another tenth of a second, you'd launch yourself to Alpha Centauri.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score

If you say the average person can see 5000 m and the average blink lasts 300 ms, then the car would have to accelerate from rest and cover 5000m in 300 ms. So, the car would have to accelerate at 111 111.111 m/s² to cover that much distance in the blink of an eye. That's a little over 10 000 g's, which would definitely destroy the car. In fact, that's starting to get a bit close to electron degeneracy pressure, which is the limit where the force is enough to rip electrons off of their atoms. So the car accelerating that fast would definitely at least vaporize. In the case where it's made of some miracle material, the driver would still vaporize from the g-force. The car would then be going over 33 km/s by the time it escaped your view had you not blinked. That's not much compared to the speed of light at 300 000 km/s, and not nearly as fast as the fastest man-made object at 190 km/s, but consider that that speed record was achieved by an object that accelerated to that speed over the span of over seven years.

Furthermore, consider that, to accelerate a 1200 kg car that much, you'd need to supply a force of 30 million pounds (15 thousand tons), or, energy amounting to 667 billion joules, or a power of 2.2 trillion watts. Considering the typical engine efficiency, it'd take at least 20 gallons of gasoline to burn that much rubber (not possible, since gasoline doesn't burn that fast anyway). Considering the power, that'd be like 30 nuclear power plants all feeding the same car in order to make it go, if you had a 100% efficient process of converting electricity into kinetic energy. Obviously, the wires supplying that much power all at once would vaporize.

Even if you could somehow manage to get it going and not destroy everything, you'd then have a car going way too fast to stop, in fact, it'd be going so fast that it would escape the Earth's gravity and fly off into outer space. In fact, it'd be going almost fast enough to escape the Sun's gravity by the time you blinked. If you kept your foot on the gas for another tenth of a second, you'd launch yourself to Alpha Centauri.
2 things:

1. I wish I could quote this in my signature and not drive everyone insane.

2. You'd be fun to smoke a joint with, friend.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I'm reminded of those "What if" articles on the xkcd site. That now are a book. Two books? But I'm mildly saddened he doesn't post them online anymore.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

You know, as fun as this conversation is, there's some pretty cool science-ish youtube channels that go into relativistic speeds and how various sized objects hitting the Earth at different angles at those speeds could break us apart. Fascinating stuff how much energy:
A) it would take to accelerate, say, a particle of sand up to .99999c.
B) how explosively that energy would impact any mostly solid object if it hit it at that speed.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just emailed my landlord to see if I can get out of my lease and move back to the US (or wherever) in December.

...now.. we wait.

I wonder if he'll freak out about losing a tenant in the middle of winter in Quebec with the crazy leases with the July 1st moving day stuff they have here. It's in a prime location though so I doubt he'd have trouble finding another tenant.
🤔

I guess we'll find out.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
ok had a chat with my landlord. He was open to me moving in December, but he was pretty flexible overall so I'm just going to move after the next project which will probably be August/Sept. Maybe by then a city more interesting than Portland, or LA will be an option. ('cause I really don't want to move to either of those cities ha)

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
This one guy tried to tell me that a blink was the fastest think he could think of. Another told me a thought was the fastest. Finally a third told me light was the fastest. They were all wrong; I found out the hard way it’s diarrhea. One time I had it so bad I ran to the bathroom and before I could think, blink, or turn on the light I’d shit my pants!
Shartingers Equation in action.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I realized recently that I get much more satisfaction buying a cheap guitar and it being good, which keeps happening, over buying an expensive guitar and it being good.

This is good news.
I'm so much the same.

Not that I'm giving up my Jackson PRO Warrior anytime soon. I had it pleked and pretty much tossed everything I could think of at it before it left Sweetwater, and it is pretty awesome.

But I've also got a JS32 King V that I put a lot of love into myself, and it's every bit the player. Guess which one spends more time in my hands and which spends more hanging on the wall looking pretty?

No more spendy guitars unless it's custom and something absolutely not available off the shelf. Played the game, lost a few, won a few, don't feel like playing anymore.

EDIT: 'lot a few?" WTF?

Last edited:

jaxadam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I realized recently that I get much more satisfaction buying a cheap guitar and it being good, which keeps happening, over buying an expensive guitar and it being good.

This is good news.

I mean, I have a handful of pretty nice guitars, but man it is hard to beat just a nice, middle of the road beater that looks great, sounds great, and feels great that you can just fuck with and mod.

LiveOVErdrive

CNC hack
Reaction score

This is good news.
I feel like now with modern production lines, paying a lot of money for a non-custom guitar is going to be all about finish and setup quality. If you can do frets and a setup yourself pretty much anything modern can be a great player.

Though REALLY low end hardware is hard to get past without replacing.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I feel like now with modern production lines, paying a lot of money for a non-custom guitar is going to be all about finish and setup quality. If you can do frets and a setup yourself pretty much anything modern can be a great player.

Though REALLY low end hardware is hard to get past without replacing.
Yeah, but a lot of times you can buy the cheapest piece of shit available, replace everything on the wood with top-quality components, and still clock in well under what the equivalent would cost in a store. If you know soldering and fretwork, that is. The only real kicker at this point is components with different measurements. Bridges in particular.

I won't ever poo-poo those that want expensive guitars. If I had all the money in the world, I'd do the same. But if there's a cheaper option that nets me a player? I'm in.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It is very satisfying to spend less and "get" more.... This guy is a perfect case of that:

Screenshot_20220927_150239.jpg

Got it in pieces with no electronics. Tried out an EMG at first that was good then came across a dirt cheap PAF 7. I really like that pickup in this guitar. Also swapped tuners to locking Tone Ninjas and it's easily one of my most played guitars. I did the acrylic pickguard as well, I'm pretty happy with the turnout.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It is very satisfying to spend less and "get" more.... This guy is a perfect case of that:

View attachment 115023

Got it in pieces with no electronics. Tried out an EMG at first that was good then came across a dirt cheap PAF 7. I really like that pickup in this guitar. Also swapped tuners to locking Tone Ninjas and it's easily one of my most played guitars. I did the acrylic pickguard as well, I'm pretty happy with the turnout.

Cheers dude, cool looking fiddle. I had an intro level PRS that I'd been gifted that had one pickup wired directly to the output, everything else had been stripped off, and it had been painted hot pink. I played the fuck out of it and I really miss it. Used it for every cover set I did, which at the time was fairly often.

RIP Cliff Burton, died 36 years ago today. I will never forget the hours upon hours I spent smoking bongs in a dark room with my friends listening to Anesthesia and just zoning out to it.

Cliff is my favorite thing about Metallica. I've had a poster of him since high school that came out of a MoP bass tab book. I have gotten rid of all my other rawkstar posters but still have that one, will probably never get rid of it unless it's to give it to some kid/

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had an incredibly disturbing series of dreams last night. I am pretty sure I woke up between at least some of them, but I kept recalling the previous dreams in the next dream I would have, stitching them together into some sort of bizarre narrative.

The first three dreams in the sequence were pretty run-of-the-mill, Random stream of consciousness nonsense. The third one was deeply disturbing, in part because it wove the first three into its narrative. I woke up (in the dream) at the beginning of it and it felt incredibly real the entire time. It really defies description, but I had the distinct impression that I had had some sort of psychotic break the night before, probably involving lots of alcohol, and everyone around me was equal parts afraid of me, concerned for me, and treating me like I was liable to behave very unpredictably.

When I woke up I immediately wrote multiple pages trying to describe it, but the description failed to capture the highly disturbing nature of the dream. I still felt very disjointed, confused, and unsure of reality for Close to an hour after waking up (into reality this time). I was legitimately concerned that I was having some kind of psychotic break in real life, or that I was about to discover that I'm schizophrenic or something like that.

I use to lucid dream a lot as a kid, started lucid dreaming again in the last couple weeks since I've stop smoking cannabis. This always happens when I take breaks but I've never perpetrated such an incredible mindfuck on myself. In at least one of the initial sequence of three dreams, I recognized that I was dreaming and started doing the lucid dream thing where I could control the physical world, narrative, peoples actions, etc. the overall impression I have is that I started lucid dreaming, then forgot I was dreaming again, but the lucid dream crazy train was already running off the tracks and I was just along for the ride at that point.

I probably said "what the fuck" and "that was so fucked up" two dozen times in the first five minutes after waking up for real. I still, right now, keep having moments of doubting whether I'm still dreaming or not.

What the fuck, brain?