"Not Worth its own thread" Thread

tedtan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
True, living in the Tamale Belt is a perk.

Lard based tamales made by a Nana (known Nana, not rando Nana) are my recommendation. Red Chile, Green, whatever.
Health aside, lard is the shit. My favorite taqueria still uses lard - tortillas, tamales, for frying, whatever.

If I didn’t have a family history of high cholesterol, I’d be all over it all the time.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
True, living in the Tamale Belt is a perk.

Lard based tamales made by a Nana (known Nana, not rando Nana) are my recommendation. Red Chile, Green, whatever.

This is one thing I really miss about working food service in the Midwest. Half the employees were Mexican, and their wives/sisters/aunties/nanas were seemingly just cranking those things out a zillion at a time. They would bring them in to "sell," and lots of us bought them, but they also just ended up getting snacked on HARD by the staff.

Here the two big ethnic/indigenous foods I get to enjoy are smoked salmon strips and "indian tacos" AKA an open face taco on frybread, any of you living the in the southwest may also be familiar with this food. Getting my job back at the bar downtown was definitely in part to rekindle my smoked salmon hookups; much like @KnightBrolaire 's tamale advice, you want to buy your smoked fish from the native folks who look like they just flew in from fish camp and came downtown to start slinging bags of fish strips (because they did).

I also used to have a really killer pickled king salmon hookup but she is getting too old to make it. Very sad for me, as that's one of my top foods I have ever eaten.

Kaura

matching headstock fetishist
Reaction score
Did anyone else get followed and DM'd by some user who just joined today and haven't made any posts yet?

LordCashew

formerly an iron spatula
Reaction score
idk what you're talking about parking lot mexican food is where it's at. The real pro tip is the less english they speak, the better the food.
I've bought tamales on the side of a road in a non-touristy area in Baja California. Zero English. I knew it was a gamble but man was it worth it... :drool:

spudmunkey

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've bought tamales on the side of a road in a non-touristy area in Baja California. Zero English. I knew it was a gamble but man was it worth it... :drool:
The best tamales I've ever had were from an old abuela sitting on a bench outside a gas station who was selling them from a small igloo lunchbox cooler.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
The best tamales I've ever had were from an old abuela sitting on a bench outside a gas station who was selling them from a small igloo lunchbox cooler.
Best tamales I’ve ever had, I bought from out of a stroller. Lady pushing it knew enough English to sell me tamales.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
My boss suprised me with a bottle of crown royal today. He doesnt know about my battle with alcohol, but had to essentially publy deny him the gift and gave it to my other superior. Isnt gifting alcohol a bit tacky these days?

KnightBrolaire

mortuus intus
Reaction score
It's pretty much my litmus test for good food. The less english they speak and the less stuff I recognize on the menu, the better the food usually is.

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
My boss suprised me with a bottle of crown royal today. He doesnt know about my battle with alcohol, but had to essentially publy deny him the gift and gave it to my other superior. Isnt gifting alcohol a bit tacky these days?
Ouch... Did your boss know you don't drink?

I don't drink any more either so I lean towards it being on the tacky/unprofessional side. Kind of a gray area I suppose, depending on your relationship with them, whether you drink or not, etc.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Ouch... Did your boss know you don't drink?

I don't drink any more either so I lean towards it being on the tacky/unprofessional side. Kind of a gray area I suppose, depending on your relationship with them, whether you drink or not, etc.
No Im brand new only about 3 weeks here. I would have just rather been given the 40 bucks or so for the bottle :shrug:

Crungy

I've made up mah mahnd, I ain't wastin no mo tahm
Reaction score
Yep me too lol

You would think in this day and age a superior would test the waters or just not give booze as a gift since he doesn't know you that well yet.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought alcohol was a tacky gift - at this point just about everyone drinks or smokes something, and alcohol has always been the "socially acceptable" vice, a status symbol sometimes, etc. Unless it was expected that you'd crack it open on the spot, would it have been so hard to just give it away after the fact? I'd have been more worried about being the new guy who makes a scene over getting the "wrong" gift.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I honestly can't tell if this is a joke, because it sounds like a kid who can't quite sweep so he's just raking the strings thinking it's right

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Check out my arpeggio! *strum* :lol:

I mean, it's kind of a cool texture, but that doesn't read to me as "fast", it's just a wonky strum.

Kinda reminds me of those "fastest bass drum ever" videos where it just mushes together into a drone note.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought alcohol was a tacky gift - at this point just about everyone drinks or smokes something, and alcohol has always been the "socially acceptable" vice, a status symbol sometimes, etc. Unless it was expected that you'd crack it open on the spot, would it have been so hard to just give it away after the fact? I'd have been more worried about being the new guy who makes a scene over getting the "wrong" gift.
Seems i worded it a little weirdly, I made no scene, just kinda told him I dont drink and while I appreciated the gift, it would have gone to waste on me, and he did not seem to be offended.

I just thought it was weird.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I honestly can't tell if this is a joke, because it sounds like a kid who can't quite sweep so he's just raking the strings thinking it's right

Yeah, sweep picking without any sort of muting or dynamic control is just strumming. Looking at the description as well as the comments, it appears that the uploader and his fans are all taking it seriously.

I don't see anything wrong with the technique, but using the term "sweep picking" to describe that is where the cringe comes into full effect. Might as well say you found a new way to make the guitar sustain longer by just not playing it - so it just sustains the rests infinitely long. Or, better yet, just post the video and leave the bullshit completely out of it and let people ask about the technique if they are interested.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, sweep picking without any sort of muting or dynamic control is just strumming. Looking at the description as well as the comments, it appears that the uploader and his fans are all taking it seriously.

That's the part that kills me, people are listening to this and thinking "holy shit, that's so good!" when it's like, no? I get that music is subjective, but if you showed people what a sweep should sound like, vs. what this comes out to, they'd be horrified to think someone is calling this a technique.

ShredmasterD

Calls it like it is.
Reaction score
Another forum I frequent has a thread like this and I find it nice. Mods, if this exists and my search is awful, please just delete.

Anything you'd like to mention here that you don't find worth its own thread, but just want to mention or ask?

I was wondering if anyone else puts their guitars backwards in their wall hanger so you can see the back? I flip flop all the time just to enjoy different angles of my guitars and my wife thinks its weird, and I've heard someone else refer to it as "guitar timeout".
came across this post today and realized I do this when my guitar and I aren't speaking to each other. Its like I cant even stand to look at it in the face. Its my fault of course but i'll never admit it. cant show weakness.