[Not] New Tosin Abasi signature [maybe] in the works - Abasi Guitars[Concepts] w/[out] Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

I have been noticing this lately. Manufacturers wanting to streamline design, and possibly even production, by using the exact same body for different string counts. The treble side is the reference side, and the neck gets wider on the bass side. This often seems to make for a more balanced look over all on the wider necks, but can make the 7 and especially the 6 look "off". People say the same thing about the Kiesel Zeus, and one other one I took notice of lately that I cant remember off the top of my head...

Hollowway likes this.
  2. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

I've alway kept 6 and 7 string bodies the same, and added a little on for 8 string (and ostensibly 9 string would be the same as 8 string, but 10 would need more, only 9 string I've done was a one-off design). I believe Ibanez does it this way as well.

3. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Probably the best way to go. Custom shop sounds great, but production is where the money is.

4. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

I was just about to say this. Ibanez does the same thing and it never really bothered me. Sometimes I actually prefer the look of the bodies staying the same, regardless of string count. For example, Kiesel's body shapes look fine with the bodies being the same.

ElysianGuitars likes this.
  5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Labrada Js are made in the same place as Boden Js, which last I checked was Dyna Gakki.

6. Jack McGoldrick

Jack McGoldrick SS.org Regular

7. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Really dig that shade of blue but one tidbit that's bugging me more than it should is how the veneer is cut off on the lower horn. Why not use the extra 3 square inches of Veneer and cover the whole horn? It's not like it flows in the same way as the other lines of where the veneer is cut.

Solodini likes this.
  9. kisielk

kisielk SS.org Regular

Yeah, the lower horn also looks really out of place to me, especially on the red & natural one. I guess it's because it's beveled (you can see the bevel clearly in the photo where a whole bunch of them are laid out on the ground) so any veneer laid flat on the top surface would get carved away during the bevelling.

I remember the earlier runs of Vaders that Kiesel did had the same problem with their forearm bevel and it looked really out of place. It seems they found a way to fix that though since the newer builds don't seem to have the same problem.

Solodini likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's hard to tell in those photos, but the lower horn is beveled. It would look sort of weird to have the veneer make that bevel.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

[​IMG]

It's like a Tele flew into a windshield.

12. Soya

Soya Poor person

Gah. That is just so, so gross.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Turns out these are only for the Japanese market, unfortunately.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Did they give any indication they wouldn't be?
    If it's anything like the J boden agreement it's basically a franchised licensing deal for the Japanese domestic market.

15. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, it's exactly like the J Boden thing because it's the same people. But J Bodens were available internationally for a few years. And given that it's exactly like the J Boden situation there was the possibility that they would be available internationally, and there was some mention around NAMM of Japanese production, which typically wouldn't get airtime around NAMM if it were Japan only. So I asked.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

A bit strange there are Japenese Abasi's available to buy now but their FB and IG haven't posted anything about the Larada in months.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's that level of apathy that really makes you question the future of the brand.

Though perhaps they don't want to stoke the hordes when these aren't available globally for the time being.

Solodini and StevenC like this.
  18. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Nothing's just for the Japanese market these days though. A bunch of these stores ship overseas.

_MonSTeR_, Masoo2, oracles and 5 others like this.
  19. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I played a J7 today. Construction was fine but the veneer looks a bit weird to me in person. I didn't get along with the neck at all. On the bass side it's paper thin but on the treble side it and fattens up suddenly and gets round. I also wasn't a fan of the neck joint. There's a tiny gap where your thumb kind of slides into from behind, and it narrows into a small slit between the neck and body which had about ~0.5-1mm of space in between. I can only imagine all the dust and garbage that'll get stuck in there.

Personally I preferred the old Falbo models. This one was a lot harder for me to play and it was pretty uncomfortable on the high frets. YMMV of course.

Also my opinion of Fluences lowers every time I play a guitar with them, but that's a different story.

20. ImNotAhab

ImNotAhab ChronicUnderachiever

I'm digging the Abasacaster.

Jack McGoldrick and jbaxter like this.