[Not] New Tosin Abasi signature [maybe] in the works - Abasi Guitars[Concepts] w/[out] Frank Falbo

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Nov 7, 2015.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Why is that, you think?

The Japanese market is not afraid of expensive guitars, is it the quality or design?

2. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars SS.org Regular

Too many of them for the market, combined with Tosin basically crapping all over the guy who built them?

3. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

$2000 too expensive even by Japanese standards, imo

4. jemfloral

jemfloral SS.org Regular

This. $2000 extra for a wenge neck is a bit excessive for my tastes, but the Japan Bodens seem to sell pretty well over there despite the "custom" models being ridiculously overpriced vs the "J-standard" models, and the specs not being that significantly different. :shrug:

5. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

It's probably just a market thing. All the "weird" import guitars have a lot of markup and sit around forever. The fact you can walk into any of the major shops and see entire floors and walls lined with $5000-$20000 custom shop, private stock, special reserve etc. guitars from every reputable brand and luthier will take attention away from the two Abasis hanging in the corner behind a bunch of other guitars. Probably the only reason Strandberg did so well here was the amount of promotion put into the Japanese market and big local artists like Leda endorsing.

6. Jason B

Jason B Unbanned

Frank’s work was apparently good enough to pass off as Grover Jackson’s at the last NAMM. Not sure how Grover feels about that, though.

7. AmoryDrive

AmoryDrive Member

Just got an update on my build, they included a little video which was nice.

Grover says pickups arrived 3 weeks later than they had hoped, and they're still waiting on more bridge saddles which will arrive middle of the month. 8 string orders will go out first followed by 6/Space Ts.

So a few weeks more wait than the initial 10-12 weeks it seems.

8. Jack McGoldrick

Jack McGoldrick Active Member

Any chance you could post the video?

9. AmoryDrive

AmoryDrive Member

Yes, let me just make this post so I have the minimum post count to post links...

10. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

11. AmoryDrive

AmoryDrive Member

The link is weird, I have to copy the text and paste it to actually get it to go to the video

A-Branger and Albake21 like this.
  12. ElysianGuitars

That's a whole lot of stuff not even close to finish for them to only be a few weeks past the 10-12 week window. We're already 14 weeks since preorders opened on March 1, and they're not even gluing fretboards on yet, but supposedly only a few weeks away? I hope they don't rush them out, that's asking for problems.

13. AmoryDrive

AmoryDrive Member

I'm guessing glue up and final assembly are in a different area? Waiting for bridge saddles wouldn't be a hold up if those were the farthest they've gotten with assembly...

I don't mind if it takes longer, I've waited 2-3 months longer for builds before and I was initially skeptical of a 10-12 week turn anyways. More time to pad up the gear budget lol

14. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

They're looking pretty great! If the reception is good on these, I'm going to heavily consider ordering a 7 string when they release this summer.

15. ElysianGuitars

Surely if they had gotten that far they'd have shown it in the video. They're still CNC'ing necks. The stuff they showed is still very early in the process.

16. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

It's an enthusiastic timeline, sure. But why weren't you nit picking when Frank exceeded the same window? Or when any legitimate criticisms were levied against him?

I get that he's a buddy of yours but man, do a better job of hiding where you stand. Frank had an entire year to deliver on his builds other than his small batch sent overseas, I think anyone who's been around the forum long enough can tell you that these things were probably not going to be wrapped up that quickly.

There's a nice degree of transparency so far if that video is anything to go by. It's certainly something nice to see a willingness for insight on their progress. Definitely better than the guy(s) responsible for said instruments spending time on forums like this one and social media being defensive over critiques. So I'm more inclined to let the luthiers work, in the same fashion I did when I gave Frank the benefit of the doubt after talking to him and asking to photograph his guitars at NAMM 2018. If we're really going to sit here and start being paranoid when Grover is going to run over the estimated wait time then I'd like to see the same degree of scrutiny towards your friend for all the missteps on his end.

Veldar, Masoo2, F1Filter and 6 others like this.
  17. ElysianGuitars

It's okay if you don't value my opinion, but I have a lot of experience in this industry and production, and I speak what I feel is the truth. Frank has nothing to do with this, those guitars are still in very early stages. Regarding Frank, since you decided to bring his name into this... Frank was shipping tons of guitars, they're still for sale in Japan, so there was no indication he was late, until Tosin decided to say there was. We're 14 weeks from pre-orders starting, with a 10-12 week build, and it's pretty obvious no guitars have gone out, unlike Frank who was shipping guitars at this point.

And I really don't buy the hardware excuse. Fishman certainly wouldn't be 3 weeks late, and I'd imagine with all the hardware we know Frank bought, the bridges excuse is baloney.

Don't forget, Tosin stole the business from his partner 7 months in.

18. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

Well without concrete dates there's no way to contest Frank's tardiness in delivery, but there is quite a wealth of information in this 158 page thread. I think a fair assumption can be drawn from what some quick backtracking through the thread shows :lol:

^ Skimming the 20 pages of comments between NAMM and when shit went south shows April which is 10 - 12 Weeks after NAMM also yielding nothing but unshaped blanks?

Middle of May (past 3 month lead time) with no updates..

And delivery of the first batch end of May/early June (Not a single customer guitar) a full month past the original estimated lead time. The batch wasn't exactly flawless either from what I remember from first hand accounts of people living near the shops in Japan and analyzing the shop photos posted here. VVV

I know it's easy to forget especially nowadays with people who have short memories and seemingly aren't willing to do a bit of research. But to my knowledge not a single consumer received a custom build, and all builds at that point went to a retailer overseas with some of those in less than stellar condition?

So let's not downplay the events nor ignore the facts, of which is apparently a smaller part of the bigger picture that will never see the light of day.

Like I said, let Grover do their job. If they deliver crap and end up months away from their original estimate with no customer builds delivered feel free to dump on them. But I seem to recall a lot of support from Falbo in lieu of delays and issues like the ones I pointed out. So let's get some real world examples out to the public before going for the throat, which is reasonable IMO.

If anything the instruments Grover made that were at NAMM this year didn't have compounds that were too hard to just wipe off before customers saw them. :rofl:

Veldar, Minute Man, Masoo2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Randy

Randy Sous Chef Super Moderator

No dog in this fight but I had a Fishman order come in two months late recently. Not sure what's going on over there but that part isn't far fetched.