Not American, Not British.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Thaeon, Aug 25, 2020.

1. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

how dare you besmirch my F30
    That amp brings the gnar with El84s.

Thaeon and cardinal like this.
  2. Choop

Choop n______n

Dang, does that include the Maverick? I haven't heard one in person, but the videos of them sound pretty good IMO

3. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

That's likely true. But ultimately players do have to come to an understanding of this stuff. So I'm attempting to ask questions that people might ask to get interest and to sort of break away from understanding it that way. It IS reductive to think about it that way. I'm being deliberately obtuse with my questions, because not everyone is going to understand why a cascading circuit is different than what was common before Randall Smith and Alexander Dumble started doing it. And specifically how. Understanding some of that stuff (particularly where the tone stack sits and how certain controls interact with each other and the gain stages because of that), I have found has been fundamental to getting good sounds out of Mark Series amps. Understanding the tone stack in the Recto Series also went a long way towards understanding how to dial that amp in for me. I couldn't build an amp to save my life. Probably largely because I haven't tried. Knowing how my soldering skills are and my patience with such things, I should stay away from it. I DO however understand that most of these things are interactive. Change one variable and other things will be different as well. Like, changing power or output transformers can change how an amp sounds. Not because they themselves have a different tone. But because it will cause some variances with other components. If I'm way off base here obviously, correct me. However, this isn't really what the conversation is about I guess. Its about why do people think about amps as either British or American? And why beyond origin and sound?

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I think it was the 20:20 power amp and the Caliber/DC amps that IMHO seemed to lack low end. I really think it was the circuit, not the tube.

I had a Morgan Dual 40 with EL84s that would hang with a JCM800. That Morgan was just a thrash monster even unboosted. And boosted it was full blown metal. Just outrageous. Wish my old Mesa DC3 sounded like that.

Choop likes this.
  5. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

The Maverick sounds really good. I've played a few of them.

@KnightBrolaire I would think that a boxy F30 has been dialed weird. I've heard those sound super mean.

Choop likes this.
  6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Tons of good El84 amps out there, but when people see that in the specs of an incoming amp, the hype gets buried for reasons

7. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I think the German designs, although inspired by British designs, have really come into their own. Nothing quite sounds like a Bogner Uberschall or. Diezel VH4.

That being said, I’m not sure where the Victory Kraken head would fall into, it sounds very unique, kind of like a German modded 6505 for lack of better description.

Emperoff likes this.
  8. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder

I have a Budda which can be a Vox/Marshall hybrid, can sound pretty Fender-y, and can do it's own thing. KSR is it's own sound. Bogner has it's own sound. PRS even has some pretty unique amp tones.

I start to find that even just closing your eyes and turning the knobs using your ears can drastically change what we think of as a certain amp's sound. Pretty much anything that doesn't have failed electronic components or a trash speaker can sound pretty good if you dial in with your ears.

9. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

If Orange amps weren’t literally made in the UK i would say they don’t fit into either category. Oranges are pretty unique animals imo.

Old Randalls were literally made in America but, i wouldn’t say they sound like any of the typical American amps either.

But we all know what we mean so the description of “American” or “English” sounding still has value imo.

Thaeon likes this.