Northlane-Alien

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Apex1rg7x, Aug 2, 2019.

1. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Has anybody listened to this album yet? I love their older stuff but so far nothing in this new album is grabbing me. Its almost too industrial-bass heavy for me? I don't know maybe I need a few more listens? Anyone else?

2. ThisBrokenMachine

ThisBrokenMachine Architectural Metal

Actually i really like this new cyber-punkesque sound

Kaura, Vyn and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  3. klinic

klinic SS.org Regular

That’s the feedback I’m hearing as well. Nobody seems to be that sold on it, but I find it a kind of refreshing change of pace. Bloodline and Talking Heads are probably my favourites off the album, but I can’t really remember much else.

4. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

I think it's pretty cool that they wrote a soundtrack for a late 90's hacker movie. :yesway:

/mashes a bunch of random keys
    "I'm in."

Bearitone likes this.
  5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Talking Heads is a banger. 4D too. I'm one of those 'Adrian is what made Northlane exceptional' stick in the mud guys, but this release is totally getting me into Marcus' style. Song is incredible imo. First album from them since Singularity that's going on my phone.

Though; I suppose that also explains why fans of the last couple records aren't too into it, maybe.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

works VERY well as an album, actually dig it a ton

but there probably isn't a single song I'd listen to by itself

nice to see them pushing tunings lower and lower though

7. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 SS.org Regular

Nope. 4D, Freefall and Jinn are the only tracks I find tolerable on the whole album. I'm not even a "Oh, they were only good with Adrian" guy. I actually loved Node and Mesmer. I'm well aware that the whole point of this album is to dig into Marcus' past and use the music as a type of catharsis. That's fine, lots of bands do it. But, the lyrical theme gets sooooooo tired after the 3rd or 4th song. That, in combination with the cheeseball new aesthetic the band has "two of our members wear air filtration masks for no reason all the time and we're gonna put Marcus in this lame stuffed, shiny fake armor thing for the videos". I just can't.

Also, any way you spin it or try to digest it, this is fucking nu metal. The garbage ass genre a lot of us grew up with and are still embarrassed to have to admit listening to early on. Northlane started out heavy, complex, refreshing and amazing. Now there's this nonsense. It's as if they just decided to eschew everything that made them a respectable band & switch their largest influences to KoRn, Orgy & Rammstein. Maybe they're trying to jump start the Family Values tour or something. Who knows. Northlane, I'm out.

setsuna7 and Masoo2 like this.
  8. Anectine_Matt

Anectine_Matt SS.org Regular

I actually really really dig it a lot. I loved Node and Mesmer and am so-so on their earlier stuff, but something about this one hits me just right, like it has just the right ratios of experimental stuff to me. It does feel a bit like they went "right, so now let's write a Static-X album", but for whatever reason it works in my opinion.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Digging the shit out of this. Loving the synth/industrial/nu metal vibes. Bloodlines hits like a freight train

10. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Was super hyped for this, and some of the tracks are great but I think they over did the electro/industrial vibe abit in places which threw me out of some songs. But kudos to them for going all out with the wierdness

11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I liked Node and Mesmer quite a lot, but hearing the songs they released for this one didn’t really do much for me at first. I dig it though after hearing the album as a whole though now that I’ve heard it a few times.

12. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Literally haven't listened to anything else since the release on Friday morning. Aside the banger pre releases (bloodline, talking heads and eclipse) I really dig 4D and freefall.
    I perfectly understand anyone that doesn't dig it as it's indeed very different, but the Linkin Park kid in me really likes the nu metal bloodline/talking heads vibes and I feel very refreshed by these trance/cyberpunk (is thst a world? :D) influences.

Sorry I can't quite follow you. All of them wearing masks would make more sense? And any other disguise / mask of other bands make more 'sense' because?
    Not saying I understand or dig the mask thing. They had this dystopian style going on for quite a while now and I can tell from two live shows that it actually makes a cool impression (to me at least), I think it really fits Jon and Nic's stage appearance. I guess boutique Josh wasn't too much of a fan to do it himself and Marcus, well, has to sing, just as the bassist, so maybe that's the reason?

13. kylendm

kylendm Electrical Mercenary

I really dig about half of it. Some songs sound like they are going to be good but then don't go anywhere in my opinion. The other stuff is really heavy and hit hard.

14. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

I like it. They pulled off the electronica-metalcore hybrid better than most bands who just try to copy Linkin Park and/or BMTH's styles (see: Bullet For My Valentine's last album). I wasn't quite impressed with the pre-release songs at first but I like them more now since they fit with the rest of the album, although Vultures seem out of place despite loving it when it came out. That might have something to do with it being the first single for the album and recorded before their bassist Alex left and Brendon (former guitarist/vocalist of Structures) joined.

15. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

This. ^

And this. ^

Sounds like they are just trying to cash-in on the current nostalgic resurgence of synthwave/retrowave or 80s-influenced scoring that we hear in media nowadays (films, TV series, video games, etc.) but they went a bit overboard and didn't find an adequate balance between the heavy amounts of electronic programming and the metalcore/djent lowest string, single-note riff stuff that makes them...well...makes them Northlane.

As a sound designer, to me, it kind of sounds like Jon or Josh just slapped down a bunch of cash on cybernetic/cyberpunk sounding presets for softsynths and just began mashing keys on a MIDI controller keyboard and running with it. Like, I even recognize some of the synth sounds just by ear alone, and I recognize what they are missing (like how some particular classic sounds/patches are stacked on top of each other and layered to achieve one "full" sound, especially in the EDM, DnB, and industrial music worlds).

This is a cool, sleek musical concept for an album. I would've loved to make an album like this myself. But it just sounds like the guys are only like 50%-75% of the way there. As much as I dig the sounds and effort and writing from a musical standpoint, and as much as I love Node and Mesmer (but especially Node, which was an influential album for me), I just think that this is a grossly overhyped release that is ultimately mediocre because...

This. ^ Absolutely this.

Also, last little note. I'm pretty certain that Tyrant of Death has been doing this kind of sound for years now and has been doing it far, far better than Northlane.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    kylendm likes this.
  16. AboutBlank

AboutBlank SS.org Regular

I will always have a soft spot for Northlane but after "Node" I was out.
    Everything that made NL special for ME was gone and I couldn't get accesss to the followers, even after very constant attempts.

I was very happy about the addition of Brendon, but personally I would have hoped for a different result, because I love the second Structures album (aswell as the first)...
    (Admittedly, the resemblance to the vocals of Adrian was a great bearer of hope for me.)

All in all, I wish them all the best and will listen to every new album, but I have personally concluded that I will find access or enjoyment.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
  17. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

Let’s say I’d never heard of this band before a few days ago, and have never heard their music at all.

Which album do I check out?

18. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Singularity.

Chris Bowsman likes this.
  19. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

Yeah there was 1 song in particular near the end of the album that had a mad build up and I was like oh my a filthy breakdown is on its way then it stopped and went to the next song : (

Razerjack likes this.
  20. duffbeer33

duffbeer33 working on my mix Contributor

I thoroughly enjoy the album. I was a bit surprised that they chose to go so hard on the electronic stuff. It isn't really my cup of tea, but it does work will with their sound. There's enough heaviness on the album to keep me interested, even though I find myself skipping tracks like Eclipse and Rift. I think Freefall is the highlight of the album. Details Matter, Talking Heads, and Vultures are all bangers.