Noob to studio monitors....help?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Opion, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Opion

Opion Sir Mattafer

Hey guys, I've run into a bit of a pickle with my setup seeing as I'm just now venturing into the land of recording my own music...I've done google searches, searched this recording forum, but none of the related threads have been clear enough for me to understand, or just barely explain what I'm wanting to do. So, if I'm beating a dead horse, forgive me! :wallbash:

Basically, I have a pair of Mackie MR5's. It has balanced TRS, unbalanced RCA, and balanced XLR inputs. I record with a POD x3 live...I bought TRS cables to run the POD thru the monitors, which works fine. Before I got the speakers I was used to plugging my headphones into the pod, hooking it up via USB to my computer and having it be my soundcard, listening to my computer's audio through that. I basically want to reference albums and my mixes through the Mackie's, but have no knowledge how to do so.

I've read people using mixers, separate interfaces, all these confusing In's and Out's they connect, and all I wanna do is just hear what these monitors sound like! :eek: If I'm not being clear enough, please let me know.

I'm sure some of you know exactly what my problem is. Do I have the right speakers? Should I buy different cables, use different methods? Buy an interface/mixer? Or am I doing something wrong entirely in the audio paths in my computer? Any sort of guidance would make my day so much better, and would prevent me from asking the buffoons at my local music store. (Which is probably a good thing to do...but I'm one to try to figure it out on my own before I go out of my way.) Thanks for your time.