Noob Question Regarding VST's & Lag

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Mathemagician, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

What options do I have to reduce the audio lag from the VST?

Ok, so I've posted recently on the Cockos (reaper) forum and they've been super helpful in getting me from zero to 95% of the way there. Enough that I intend on buying the super reasonable license soon. You can't put a price on help like that. (Free plug for the reaper peeps)

Now my issue: my lag is still about 23-30ms. Just enough that I can hear it and it sucks, I want to be able to practice & record so sub-5 but at least sub 10 would be ideal. I'm on an i3 laptop with like 4 gigs of ram, so I'm hoping it's not just a cpu bottleneck.

My chain is:

Guitar > Focusrite Scarllett 2i4 (gen 1) > reaper

I open a new track with instruments and set the lepou amp then the lecab with a guitar hacks impulse. Then I arm it and can hear the amp and everything fine. The drivers are set to ASIO, Input is mono, etc. when I set the dial on the Focusrite audio to input I hear the clean signal just fine, but playback has a delay.

I know this is a similar setup to a lot of people here, so hoping someone has some insight since I'm new to all of this. Never recorded anything in my life.

2. Xcaliber

Xcaliber SS.org Regular

I don't have a Focusrite interface, but I assume there are drivers from them too? Have you tried them instead of the ASIO ones? I know most people say the ASIO drivers are superior, but the drivers from TASCAM for my interface produce a lot less lag than the ASIO drivers on my setup. I'm running at 2.6ms of lag with the TASCAM drivers and between 10 and 20 with the ASIO driver. I'm using Reaper as well.

3. Mathemagician

Hmmm, is that the setting where you go to options >preferences>device and it's like the top drop-down menu? I'll have to check, because I know that during my set up for the hardware I went to Focusrite's website and downloaded the drivers and I'm 99% sure I let them run/install. So is this something that can be changed in the menus?

Edit: I'd be happy to post screenshots when I get home if it helps. I feel like I'm so close, lol.

4. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Yeah, you're almost there. When you get home change the sample rate to the lowest it can go without getting any pops or clicks, and you should be where you need to.

5. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

i´m sure you meant buffer size, right? not sample rate. big difference.

on topic, i´d switch to the actual focusrite drivers instead of using asio. than
    set the buffer size as low as possible without getting clicks and pops. as has
    been said before.
    but the mediocre laptop specs could be a potential bottle neck. i think LeCab also
    takes up quite a bit of cpu power. might want to look for something that´s
    not as heavy. though if you make very basic projects in reaper it shouldn´t be
    a big problem.

6. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Yup, my bad. Good catch.

7. Mathemagician

That's the thing I'll have to check, because whatever the default driver was set to had my buffer at 8x1024 which was like 63ms lag. When I dropped it to 1x1024 it was just static. I'll mess with it a bit more. Maybe never installed the Focusrite drivers. Should be a long evening. Trying not to "rush" this stuff only to get frustrated and say ".... it".

I k is the laptop is booty, but I've heard solid recordings on worse, and I'm only playing guitar. Actual CPU use seems to read super low for now.