Noob needs help regarding guitar gear/tone!

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JackoThe1st, Oct 11, 2011.

1. JackoThe1st

JackoThe1st SS.org Regular

Ok I'm fairly adept at guitar, but I know next to nothing about gear and recording. I have an old GNX3000 which I use with my macbook to record and write songs but I really have no idea what I'm doing. And my tone is awful.

So please answer some basic questions I have.

Firstly, what the fuck is a GNX3000 anyway? It's a multi-effects pedal with line and xlr outs and stuff. Is that similar to a line 6 pod? What are these contraptions actually called, they must have a collective name or something.

Secondly, I've noticed theres amp modelling software out there such as POD farm. How does this shit work? I mean can I just record a dry guitar signal using my GNX and then put it through POD farm and get a beast djent tone or something?

Thirdly, I want a nice djent tone, not necessarily for playin djent, I just want a nice refined tone thats sounds great and doesn't require me to add stupid amounts of distortion in order to make up for having a sub-par guitar tone. What hardware out there can provide me with this? For up to $650 or so. And can anyone give me any examples of this gear sounding good?

Apologies for this erratic and rambling post.

2. TaylorMacPhail

TaylorMacPhail Heisenberg

Hey man, they are called guitar (effects?) processors and if you picked up a Line 6 POD you could completely replace that GN-whatever-the-fuck thingy hahaha

^ Regarding this question more in-depth, recording a dry signal to then moulding that signal with effects and such is called Re-Amping and IIRC the POD does NOT have that feature, but the new HD series might, not quite sure, hope I helped a little!

thedarkoceans and GhostsofAcid like this.
  3. JackoThe1st

Hmm yeah maybe I should just go crazy and buy an HD500...mmm...so tempting. Bump for my other two questions!

4. Albionic

Albionic First of the magi

think of the gnx 3000 as a modelling preamp with a usb interface

yes you can record a dry signal and then put it through an amp simulation and get any sound you want within reason

check out this site for some free amps they are awsome

LePou Plugins

make sure you look up the thread in the recording forum about impulses these are in simplest terms speaker simulations only way better

here are the pluggins and i assume impulses in action
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQmMrB93vzM

these amps are vst's and they will need a host which can be your recording software
    i suggest you google about all this stuff if you don't already know as its a lot to explain in a single post

as for hardware do you want an amp or another modeller as the line6 pod hd series stuff is pretty cool in your pricerange

also a good set of head phones or studio monitors wouldn't go amiss

5. TaylorMacPhail

hmm I wouldn't get the HD just because it is newer, I know a lot of people who prefer their old POD XT's over the new HD's, especially for metal. All of the Periphery recordings so far are with a POD XT/X3 bean if I'm not mistaken. Also, Chris Feener from Threat Signal still uses his POD XT for his youtube recordings.

His preset is "Big Bottom - Green 25's cab - 57 on axis, FX boost+EQ stomp!"

That unit you have is made by Digitech and they seem to call it a Guitar Workstation but you could still call it a Guitar Processor or Guitar Effects Processor.

6. TaylorMacPhail

+1

7. pathos45

pathos45 SS.org Regular

The demo songs were done with a xt im pretty sure but the entire s/t and new ep are done with the axe fx. that being said LePous amp sims are by far the best amp sims ive played with and they are free which is a killer deal! get the lecab with some good IRs and your set for recording.

8. JackoThe1st

Thx guys, very helpful.

Have the POD XT/X3 been discontinued? I can't seem to find them on the line 6 site, unless by the X3 you are referring to the rack?

9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Yes the XT is discontinued. My little brother has the bean, I played around with it on the SLO-100 model. Your GNX3000 is capable of great tones, you just need to find the resources on the internet to get the best sounds out of it :yesway: (read: digitech user forums).

10. ss22

ss22 SS.org Regular

The best thing you can do for a GNX3000 or GNX4 is to buy the MFX Supermodels discs (simply google). They brought my GNX4 alive.

11. s5470Pro

s5470Pro Banned

Take Albionics advise if your using it for bedroom recording. If your intent is for band and live settings take the $650 and buy a tube amp.

12. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

I don't really know many people who prefer the older PODs to the newer ones (unless they're a Bassist, which is a whole different story)

You are actually incorrect on Periphery.
    Periphery use the AxeFX exclusively now. They have since before the album release.

It's like in EVERY article about them, how could you not know this?

13. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

And misha used the xt on like...3 songs on his soundclick.

14. book_of_lies777

book_of_lies777 SS.org Regular

sell the ancient/obsolete GNX and get a POD X3 - waaaay better than the HD series for metal. Your tone will be amazing once you learn how to dial it in(which isn't that difficult). It's as easy as plugging in a USB cord for recording(I did 4 solo projects/bands this way since 2007).

15. Mordacain

Mordacain Formerly 1-watt brigadier

Just my :2c: Having a Flextone III (which has the Vetta models), POD Farm (all versions) and a PODHD500 I can unequivocally say that the POD XT is not better at anything than the HD. The range and depth of tones the HD gives are head and shoulders above the XT, X3 or anything preceding it from Line 6.

Seriously, where are people getting this nonsense about the XT, which has 10 year-old models being better at anything? If its because folks used to use them to get decent tones then I'd have to say all the guys who used the older pods famously have moved on to greener pastures and are either using HD, Eleven Rack or AxeFX now. The only thing that possibly makes sense to me is that there might be a bit of option paralysis going on with the HD since there is so much ability in tone-shaping available over previous versions and those used to fewer options don't know what to make of the new options to get good tone.

That being said, the XT is not a bad option if you can get one cheap enough. Personally for me, that threshold would sit at about $100. Anything more and I'd just as soon get a used HD300.

16. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

:noplease:

Uh pardon?

The HD does everything the X3 does (except for Bass amp model) and then some...

17. Loomer

Loomer Comfortably Dumb

Bumping this here... I'm kinda torn between the POD HD and the UX2 interface. I'm just gonna be using it for home recording and practice, so in essence the UX2 should be fine.

However, I do like the idea of having a POD, mainly because I've had the POD Xt bean for ages, and it would be nice to have it along for gigs as a backup solution. That said, I run a two-amp setup anyway just for kicks, and can easily do gigs with single amp setups, so it's not like a backup is super indispensible.

So what say you; POD farm vs. HD?!

18. book_of_lies777

book_of_lies777 SS.org Regular

HD = only 16 amp models, most of which are aimed at 'boo-teek' tones?

Sorry - if you're a metal guy(THE key phrase here), you're not worried about Supro, Dr. Z, or Divided by 13 amp models... or Fender... or Vox. There are only 3 amps in the HD that could even do metal(4 if you include the JCM800, which will need a boost to do it, unless you're doing 80s stuff). I'm NOT saying the HD's can't do metal - that's just alot of money to pay for only 3-4 usable amp models.

That being said, the effects are MUCH better on the HD series than previous versions.

for METAL - the X3 simply gives you more options & bang for the buck.

...my 2 cents.